What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

New member. And first MX5 from Wigan

Introduce yourself here. Tell us all about your passions and your pride and joy. We wont bite.
mali
New

New member. And first MX5 from Wigan

Postby mali » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:02 pm

Hello all.

Im having a ton of fun with my first 5. A 2005 NC 2.0l

Its taking some time to get used to coming from a long list of FWD cars.

First things first, i wanted to bring it to the modern era.. So a new head unit was fitted allowing hands free calls, music streaming and ipod connectivity.

Theres a few issues i will get around to tackling. some slight rusting under the lips of the rear arches. and some knocking clunking noises from underneath when riding over our rubbish roads. Its had a fresh MOT and no advisories so im hoping its nothing overly serious.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Re: New member. And first MX5 from Wigan

Postby Mazda Mender » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:27 pm

Greetings and welcome buddy...what kind of noises and when...
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
vindaloo
Just Run In

Postby vindaloo » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:33 pm

Welcome to MM, I seem to recognise that head unit.

2019 ND RF GT SPORT NAV + Snowflake/ Auburn
mali
New

Postby mali » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:23 pm

Mazda Mender wrote:Greetings and welcome buddy...what kind of noises and when...
M-m

Hi Mazda Mender. im not technically minded at all so i will try my best to explain. the knocking/rattling/clunking noises seem to come from either the front drivers side or the front centre. im finding it hard to pinpoint, but happens constantly when going over rough rumbley patches of road (sorry for the poor explanation) it definitely feels like something is loose (but nothing picked up on the mot 2 weeks ago)

I see your from pie land! Another Wiganer?
mali
New

Postby mali » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:28 pm

vindaloo wrote:Welcome to MM, I seem to recognise that head unit.

Hi Vindaloo.

Its a nice head unit. i was suprised how much better sounding it is over the stock unit, considering its budget price.

Which facia did you get? Yours seems a much better fit than mine!
drumtochty

Postby drumtochty » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:25 pm

Sounds like the antiroll bar drop links that tend to go.

You need to get under the car and put a socket and breaker bar on them and check for wear. Around £20 each to purchase, the Mazda ones are made of toffee.

Replace with aftermarket ones if there is movement.

The front ones fit on both sides.

The rear are the same but the front and back drop links cannot be used on the other end.
1999 Mk2 Silver
2008 Mk3 Copper Red gone
2018 Mk4 GT+ Red
Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae, Aberdeenshire
vindaloo
Just Run In

Postby vindaloo » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:29 pm

mali wrote:

Hi Vindaloo.

Its a nice head unit. i was suprised how much better sounding it is over the stock unit, considering its budget price.

Mine is a Metra, bought via Amazon & it was shipped from the USA for the grand sum of £29 delivered. I believe the Connects2 is the same one.

I'm just down the road in Leigh.
2019 ND RF GT SPORT NAV + Snowflake/ Auburn
mali
New

Postby mali » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:13 am

drumtochty wrote:Sounds like the antiroll bar drop links that tend to go.

You need to get under the car and put a socket and breaker bar on them and check for wear. Around £20 each to purchase, the Mazda ones are made of toffee.

Replace with aftermarket ones if there is movement.

The front ones fit on both sides.

The rear are the same but the front and back drop links cannot be used on the other end.

Thank you. I've had a look underneath and the fronts seem fine- new almost, with no play. But the rears have seen better days and have definite movement. So I think I will replace all 4 to be sure. There s also a gearbox cover/guard that seems a little loose. So I will have a further look into that. It's definitely the front drivers side though. I had a good listen on the way to work this morning.

Any idea on labour times at a garage for arb drop link replacement? I don't have the tools to fit these myself.
Last edited by mali on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
mali
New

Postby mali » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:22 am

vindaloo wrote:
mali wrote:

Hi Vindaloo.

Mine is a Metra, bought via Amazon & it was shipped from the USA for the grand sum of £29 delivered. I believe the Connects2 is the same one.

I'm just down the road in Leigh.

Pie eaters and lobby gobblers!!... its a small world, i will say hello if i bump into you :handgestures-thumbup:

I had a hard time pushing all the wiring harness back for the head unit to be pushed into place. There really isn't much room behind there!
drumtochty

Postby drumtochty » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:29 pm

Labour charge for all 4 more than an hour less than 2 hours, let's say 1.5 hours.

Yes the 2 litre has a gearbox undertray that needs to be fully bolted.

There are reports of loose disc pads causing that problem.

There are reports of the components inside the springs rattling in that case duct tape wrapped around the bumpstop type thing has stopped it.

The fan belt belt tensoner can cause noises if the bearings are worn.

Possibly failed damper.

Have fun.
1999 Mk2 Silver
2008 Mk3 Copper Red gone
2018 Mk4 GT+ Red
Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae, Aberdeenshire
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:35 am

Where abouts in Wigan are you?
M-m
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
mali
New

Postby mali » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:36 pm

drumtochty wrote:Labour charge for all 4 more than an hour less than 2 hours, let's say 1.5 hours.

Yes the 2 litre has a gearbox undertray that needs to be fully bolted.

There are reports of loose disc pads causing that problem.

There are reports of the components inside the springs rattling in that case duct tape wrapped around the bumpstop type thing has stopped it.

The fan belt belt tensoner can cause noises if the bearings are worn.

Possibly failed damper.

Have fun.

Brill. I've ordered the parts and looking at YouTube videos it doesn't look overly hard!
Last edited by mali on Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mali
New

Postby mali » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:38 pm

Mazda Mender wrote:Where abouts in Wigan are you?
M-m

Hi mazda mender. I'm in Abram. :-D
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:04 am

I'm over the other side buddy.
M-m

mali
New

Postby mali » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:50 pm

Mazda Mender wrote:I'm over the other side buddy.
M-m

Are you a professional garage/workshop Or an enthusiast like the rest of us?

It turns out that the majority of the noise was coming from the Jack in the boot which isn't tight. Sods law!!! I have 4 drop links on the way :roll: the rears have seen better days so it's not all wasted.

Return to “Welcome desk”