What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Hose replacement

mk1divemaster
Serial Poster

Hose replacement

Postby mk1divemaster » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:39 pm

Hi all , coming back from a mx5 run had a sudden coolant loss when I parked up at home , checked where the problem was , and I found the ISC vale to inlet manifold hose had split , belching out coolant all over the alternator etc! So I got to work. While all coolant was drained I decided to replace the heater hoses at back of engine too :-

1 Drain the system of coolant , put a container that can hold upto 6 ltr of liquid under the drain plug then undo plug and let the coolant drain , open filler cap and it will come out quicker.
image.jpg
Drain plug
image.jpg (279.67 KiB) Viewed 8841 times

2 locate broken hose/ hoses and take out ( make sure you have replacements !!) the ISC valve to Inlet manifold one was very tricky to release, as it had the original spring clips on it so very hard to get grips in to squeeze together. I removed the two hoses that were around it to give me some purchase.it takes some patience .
image.jpg
ISC valve hose
image.jpg (164.73 KiB) Viewed 8841 times

3 I then took off the heater hoses that lead into the firewall / bulkhead , the first hose was a doddle
release spring clips then I carefully cut the ends with a blade to help pull the hose off as it was fixed tight after years of use. The second is a bit of a bugger as it goes behind the engine underneath the coil pack , I persevered and took it out with some long nose pliers , but i think it will be easier if you took coil pack out of the way ( three bolts).
image.jpg
Before
image.jpg (190.34 KiB) Viewed 8841 times

4 I then cleaned the stubs and put a little washing liquid on ends to aid sliding new hoses on.
image.jpg
Stubbs clean
image.jpg (232.35 KiB) Viewed 8841 times

5 I did the same to the ISC / Manifold Stubbs too.

6 I put the new heater hoses on and fastened the clips .
image.jpg
New hoses in place
image.jpg (240.37 KiB) Viewed 8841 times

7 then attached the new ISC hose with new jubilee clips ,instead of the spring clips for easier removal next time.
image.jpg
New hose and clips
image.jpg (245.88 KiB) Viewed 8841 times

8 I then flushed the radiator through with a garden hose for a few mins to get rid of any sediment etc (I ran it until the exiting water ran clean) then replaced the drain plug.
image.jpg
A quick flush through
image.jpg (259.64 KiB) Viewed 8841 times

9 I took off the plastic expansion tank to give it a clean while I was flushing rad. Three bolts .

9 then I added fresh coolant 2 ltr of anti freeze. With 4 ltr of deionised water , you probably won't get it all in straight away until engine is warm , so just fill to neck of rad ,leave rad cap off then start engine and let her idle until the top hose gets warm and the thermostat opens up.the coolant will drop then so you can add the remaining fresh coolant. Add some of the coolant to the expansion tank , up to in between the low and full markers .Put rad cap back on have a wipe around , jobs a good en !
:handgestures-thumbup:

10 give her a run and check for leaks
image.jpg
Guilty ISC hose
image.jpg (211.93 KiB) Viewed 8841 times
nedski
Serial Poster

Re: Hose replacement

Postby nedski » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:41 pm

:text-goodpost: Well done great how to post .
Mk1 1.6 Turbo. Gaz shocks. Tr Lane roll bar.
Garage Owner, Lincolshire
Helper to the Scunny track day crew and North Linc's Track Day Club.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Postby flea » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:49 pm

Great post. Well done
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
DavesBRG5

Postby DavesBRG5 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:24 pm

Job well done :handgestures-thumbup:
DAVE

1992 1.6 BRG V-Spec - 2003 MK2.5 Sport - 1992 ROADSTER 1.6.
mk1divemaster
Serial Poster

Postby mk1divemaster » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:55 pm

Cheers all :text-thankyouyellow: :handgestures-thumbup:
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:23 am

Just a tip....
It will be far easier with the coil pack removed and if the hoses are dead, then be careful but just cut the rubber hoses clean off from the metal bulk head and engine side ends, leaveing a stubby hose and clip still attached which you will find that getting to the sring clips off and to a lot easier as you can bring it straight off and out , then just cut along the length of the stubby left over pipe to just peel in half and off, more so on the bulk head heater matrix stubs as they are a vey fine brass or copper pipe and can be crashed very easy, and if you do get them out of shape they will never make a seal and will need to be removed and swapped with new....big job.
Don't forget tp put the hose clips onto the new pipes before fitting :wink:

Great write up buddy :bow-yellow: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
mk1divemaster
Serial Poster

Postby mk1divemaster » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:11 pm

Cheers bud :handgestures-thumbup:
cjgreaves41
Regular

Postby cjgreaves41 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:05 pm

Chaps.

Just doing the coolant change on mine. Ive bought Comma Super cold Master. The last time the coolant was changed it was done at a garage... The mixture that I have drained out appears pink, as I didnt chnage it I've no idea what it is.

Is there a problem with mixing coolants? If so whats the best way to flush the system completely? Prior to putting the new stuff in?

Cheers
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:19 pm

No problem mixing any coolants that are compatible with the MX5 cooling system.
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
17” OZ Racing Superturissmo wheels (for the toad)
15” Rota Circuit 10 wheels (for track use)
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:18 am

Years ago there was as they were two different chemicals which did not like each other, just make sure you do the 50/50 mix correct, as to much is just as bad as not enough.
The cooling system holds 4 1/2 Ltrs so you need to add 2 1/4 concerntrated and then water, run her and bleed off for air pockets.

But remember you have 2 year and 5 year antifreeze now, the colour stuff is a load of crap these days to.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/

Return to “MK1 -1989 > 1997 (NA)”