What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Supplying Electrical Connectors With Mods

Come and see what our Jon is up to, with his electric gizmos that his mind and hands mould into magic little boxes of tricks, he gets bored very easily, so if you have an idea that you can throw at him, all the better for him to play with ;0)
binarypunk

Supplying Electrical Connectors With Mods

Postby binarypunk » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:34 pm

Quick question...

I'm onto thinking about the final details for the wink mod and was thinking about connectors.

The mod requires you to cut a couple of wires and butt connect them to the mod. Also to splice in (if you want) to another wire, and to find a ground. I was going to pop a few suitable crimp connectors in the package....they're not generally the best way to make the connection though, which would be to solder up the joints. Also, some (like me) might prefer bullet connectors to make it more easily removed and reconnected.

I can't obviously supply every option (certainly not a soldering iron!) and thanks to the latest fevered imaginings from the EU, if I supply anything as part of the package now, it must be CE/RoHS compliant, which makes the connectors phenomenally pricey (think pint glasses, if you want a stamp on it, it trebles the price for the same item). If I leave it up to the user, then they can use cheap unapproved (but perfectly good) connectors all they like.

If you go buy a shelf from B&Q, the instructions will tell you to buy and use suitable screws for your wall. I'm tempted to say something similar...and it's likely to make a difference of a quid or so. I wonder how that would sit with people?

This also applies to my other mods as I'm having to review those too now thanks to Belgium.
Jon - UK Mk1 1.6 1993 Classic Red

Check out my MX5 mods and tools:
http://www.binarypunk.co.uk
Need spares? Go to Autolink!
http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
BenF
Epic Poster

Re: Supplying Electrical Connectors With Mods

Postby BenF » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:35 pm

TBH Jon, I look at what's supplied with any item and if I don't like/approve then I do it my own way :-D
You're selling to enthusiasts, so I think suggesting they get their own connectors but list off recommended types and leave that choice to them would be the best idea?
BTW I'll need to pick your brains soon about a hoofing great IP(64?) multiplug or two soon too :handgestures-thumbup:
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Postby flea » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:38 pm

I think what you've said makes common sense. But I can see where your coming from as some people expect it to get out of the packaging & fit itself. I'd go with what your suggesting & let the purchaser fit it to there capabilities or get some one with the know how to fit it for them
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
binarypunk

Postby binarypunk » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:12 pm

I think you're right. I can provide detailed instructions and suggestions for suitable connectors. Already my instructions suggest finding an auto-sparky to do it for you if you're not up to the job, and of course Andrew is happy to fit any of my products (in fact any halfway competent mechanic would have no problem if given the instructions).

It also means I can bring down the price a little...which is always popular. Not just because the connectors cost money, but so does sitting there and counting them out and putting them in a bag, when I'd rather be doing something less menial! :-)

Tangoman
Serial Poster

Postby Tangoman » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:15 pm

Just a thought, but could you not perhaps offer two options? One with supplied connectors for people not wanting to source their own, and one without!
Image Image

1991 Asbo orange 1.6 Eunos Roadster T-Spec
binarypunk

Postby binarypunk » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:21 pm

It's a good thought actually. Reselling a product is much easier (legally) than supplying it as an integral part of your own product.

I'll have a word with Andrew as he almost certainly has various connectors in stock, and so a 'fitting kit' should be easy to put together...

Thanks tangoman...sometimes you just don't see the wood for the trees! :-)

The Captain
Turbo Charged

Postby The Captain » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Good point there from Lance.

My thoughts are just be careful. Just because you are selling to people with the 'community' doesn't mean that you wont find moaners, bleaters, whingers and all sorts of skanky consumers. Don't offer more than they expect, and dont make it too difficult for you and your resellers.
binarypunk

Postby binarypunk » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:25 pm

BenF wrote:BTW I'll need to pick your brains soon about a hoofing great IP(64?) multiplug or two soon too :handgestures-thumbup:

Of course mate, just give me a bell or I was going to pop down at some point anyway as I have some shiny chrome LED bezels for your panel...and I want to catch up on your project now stuff is moving again.

BenF
Epic Poster

Postby BenF » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:54 pm

binarypunk wrote:
BenF wrote:BTW I'll need to pick your brains soon about a hoofing great IP(64?) multiplug or two soon too :handgestures-thumbup:

Of course mate, just give me a bell or I was going to pop down at some point anyway as I have some shiny chrome LED bezels for your panel...and I want to catch up on your project now stuff is moving again.

Yes! We'll get this organised soon mate - hols and the car going up to the workshop in hungerford are looming

Return to “Binarypunk mods & products”