What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Courtesy Light Mod Design - your input

Come and see what our Jon is up to, with his electric gizmos that his mind and hands mould into magic little boxes of tricks, he gets bored very easily, so if you have an idea that you can throw at him, all the better for him to play with ;0)
snowman
Regular

Re: Courtesy Light Mod Design - your input

Postby snowman » Sat May 11, 2013 5:48 pm

Having just seen M-m's interior lighting fade when the door closes i like the sound of that.
2006 MK3
Galaxy Grey
binarypunk

Postby binarypunk » Sat May 11, 2013 6:01 pm

paggers wrote:I'm assuming the kit have over-current protection (fuse or some smarter option)

It will simply not supply any more current, so the lights will be dim (or off altogether if LEDs). You could short it to ground and it will still only draw/supply 4A. Indeed it could be connected to a relay instead if more current is required. I'd like to see more than 48W of interior lights in an MX5 though...you'd need a welders mask!

Someone mentioned the lights-on buzzer. This is very easy to wire up yourself (isn't there a guide on here?) - I can give simple instructions if anyone wants. The difference with mine is that it will beep once or twice, then shut up...rather than a constant noise.
binarypunk

Postby binarypunk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:25 pm

Just an update as I have picked up the design work on this again.
Some fancy new components have become available that let me deal with the power of the lights (no matter what mods you have done to add extras and boost the power) in a much more efficient way, making the mod smaller while adding flexibility and letting me do the fades I want to. They are somewhere between Louisville, Kentucky and Castle Donnington as I type - I can watch them on a map...very cool.

Anywho... There are a couple of design decisions I have made:

1) The basic version will just do the courtesy interior lights - the fades, delays, and the battery-saving timeout.
2) There will also be a premium version that also does welcome sidelights (on remote unlock), and sidelights on exiting. This will involve rather more wiring on the user's part (a wire to the remote actuator wire and to the sidelight feed) and will also be at a premium due to the added complexity and additional power required. Probably of the order of ÂŁ10 more.

If you are interested in this mod, please shout and also let me know whether you would want the basic or 'pro' version.

Also I am in two minds whether to do the lights-left-on buzzer. Two reasons...first, this is a fairly simple DIY mod (there is a guide already), and second it will mean either having it non-optional (which might be annoying for some) or will require some kind of switch (which adds complexity and cost). So, it is in the 'maybe' pile for now unless lots of people would really want it as a feature.
Jon - UK Mk1 1.6 1993 Classic Red

Check out my MX5 mods and tools:
http://www.binarypunk.co.uk
Need spares? Go to Autolink!
http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Pendric Lumpybeard
Regular

Postby Pendric Lumpybeard » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:01 pm

I'd definitely be up for one of these, the basic model would do for me. :handgestures-thumbup:

:text-thankyouyellow:
1991BRG V-Special

New and figuring it all out!
When I grow up I want to be a proper Mazda Mender.
Badknee
Serial Poster

Postby Badknee » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:51 pm

:obscene-drinkingcheers: Basic for me and I have the lights on buzzer already :bow-yellow:
Paul & Angela.
'93 1.8 in Super Silver
Fully blinged up (thanks M-m)
Lowered into the weeds hung on Gaz Gold Pro's.
snowman
Regular

Postby snowman » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:18 am

I'd be interested in the basic model :cool:
2006 MK3
Galaxy Grey
threeflies
Regular

Postby threeflies » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:07 pm

I'd be interested , not sure which version yet though :text-blondmoment:
Pete - MK2.5 sport 2002 Sunlight Silver
threeflies
Regular

Postby threeflies » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:56 pm

threeflies wrote:I'd be interested , not sure which version yet though :text-blondmoment:

Ok calmed down ....Basic version would be Greeeeeaaaatt !! :handgestures-thumbup:
binarypunk

Postby binarypunk » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

The basic version will be first out of the blocks anyway, I have completed bench testing and I am about to build the first prototype for testing on my car.

I have decided to include a sensor wire for the remote actuator in the basic version, which will bring on the interior lights on remote unlock.

I am having difficulty imagining how the additional sidelights function should work anyway...they should come on when you unlock the car I imagine, but what should happen when you leave? If anybody has this on another car can you please tell me how they work? Does it only happen if the lights were on when you switch off the ignition, or regardless?

threeflies
Regular

Postby threeflies » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:35 pm

Hows it coming along Jon, ''No hassle'' just very curious cos it's a great Idea :clap: :handgestures-thumbup:
binarypunk

Postby binarypunk » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:49 pm

Still in testing/tweaking stage at the moment, but coming along very well. All the basics are in place and the circuit design is done - happy to report that I've achieved zero dark current, and yet it is able to react to remote-unlocking and door-opening while asleep. I am hoping to make it plug-and-play so there is no wiring to cut, but I'm struggling to source suitable connectors - still working on that but it's tough when you don't read Japanese too well! :-)

At the moment I'm working on the A/C Mod prototypes so the Autolink guys can complete the long term road-testing before summer, after which I will post up a video of the bench testing I'm doing on this one so you can see it in action.

me61ic
New

Postby me61ic » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:29 am

I would be interested in the basic version if it is plug & play only, don't like modifying OEM wires in the car that can't be reversed to "nobody touched here before"

By the way I always wanted to install a lights on reminder, but have never done as I have not found a buzzer like the ones used in real cars, kind of a bell that only sounds once or twice and the stops instead of making noise all the time
1995 NA8 SC
me61ic
New

Postby me61ic » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:34 am

I would be interested in the basic version but only if is plug & play with no wiring splicing required, I don't like modifying wires in the car that can't be returned to stock "nobody ever touched here" state

About the lights on reminder I always liked the idea, but never wanted a constant noise, I'd rather prefer a beep or two and then stop
1995 NA8 SC
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:47 am

Most if the modding in wiring is just adding in to a system with solder so can be easy cut out and back to standard with in minutes, a simple lights left on buzzer just jions into the courtesy light earth switch and any illumanation point, job done.....
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=2482
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
binarypunk

Postby binarypunk » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:53 pm

me61ic wrote:only if is plug & play with no wiring splicing required

This would be lovely...and I intend it to be as easy as possible...however there are a couple of issues. First, there is no plug that contains all of the required connections, and second the plugs that exist are extremely difficult to get hold of, being Mazda OEM and not generic connectors. To have my own moulds made would be prohibitively costly for low volumes like these.

It would have been nice for the designers to think of aftermarket suppliers like me and use simple, cheap, readily available connectors. But most manufacturers have 'Apple Syndrome' unfortunately, and support their own parts-department revenues by creating bespoke connectors for every product.

Return to “Binarypunk mods & products”