What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Does a hardtop protect sills?

This is the section to see what is hidding behind those panels, and how to get rid of the tin worm, cutting out and welding in fresh metal, protection and paint.
alexcruncha
Just Run In

Does a hardtop protect sills?

Postby alexcruncha » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:16 am

Hi Menders,

My understanding of the sill rust issue our cars have is due to the fact water gets in the sills and sits in there, then they rust from inside out. One way water gets in (I think) is because water runs down the rain rail and down the two pipes at the end of the rain rail and somehow ends up running through the sills (maybe I'm wrong but this is what I think happens).

If this is the case then it would make sense that using a hardtop would solve this issue to some degree as the rain rail and two pipes gets disused when using the hardtop.

Does anyone with more knowledge than me have an opinion on this? Essentially I want to know if I should be investing in a hardtop in order to prolong the life of my sills as my car is kept on the road.

Thanks guys
Alex
blackyb

Re: Does a hardtop protect sills?

Postby blackyb » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:21 pm

I'm no expert by a long shot but its my understanding that the main cause of the water ingress is owners failling to ensure that all the relevant drainage points are kept clean. Our 91 Eunos has never had a hard top fitted and as of now we dont have any such corrosion issues.

On the 2003 sport it had a hard top and it had rear sill corrosion issues. So its not a given that a hard top would solve the problem. The cause here was the way the sills are folded and joined, rectified by using a good strong sea.lant along the edges.

Sure Wayne or one of the other master menders will also have something to say when they get in from mending.
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
alexcruncha
Just Run In

Postby alexcruncha » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:21 am

blackyb wrote:I'm no expert by a long shot but its my understanding that the main cause of the water ingress is owners failling to ensure that all the relevant drainage points are kept clean. Our 91 Eunos has never had a hard top fitted and as of now we dont have any such corrosion issues.

On the 2003 sport it had a hard top and it had rear sill corrosion issues. So its not a given that a hard top would solve the problem. The cause here was the way the sills are folded and joined, rectified by using a good strong sea.lant along the edges.

Sure Wayne or one of the other master menders will also have something to say when they get in from mending.

Thank for the feedback. Thats very interesting to hear that your later car with a hardtop has onset of rust before your 8 year older mk1 without one.

I've made a point of keeping the drain holes clear since I had it but its showing early signs (bubbling has only just started right under the rear sill). My issue is that I dont have a garage so the car is permanently outdoors. I also only drive the car once a week to keep it going (not sure if this is a good or bad thing as far as rust is concerned).

Were/are your 2 cars kept outdoors or garaged and are they daily drivers? Also, you mention using a sealant along the edges? Is this sealant you have added yourself?
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:20 pm

For a while the green one (2003 Sport) was a daily driver and used all year round and kept outside. Its rust issue wasn't due to water ingress via the drain holes but by the way the rear sill/arch was constructed at manufacture in that the seams were not water tight so let water in. The red un (1991 Eunos) has been garaged all the time we have had her and also by the previous owner. She does get wet (soaked in Scotland this year) but is rarely exposed to winter salt.

Sealant wise, both were given a real good coat of waxoil when we first got them and topped up every spring, the various edges around the sills and wheel arches have been given and extra coat to try and stop water ingress, nothing special, just get at it when its fine and dry and slap it on, well you now what I mean.

On the green sport, we had the rear sill/arch cut out and rebuilt but in the process we sprayed every bit we could with underseal. We sold the car a few years later and still see her in the local supermarket and I cant resist having a peek and safe to say no signs of any bubbling.

I'm lucky in that I have a decent sized garage and a three in one car lift that lets me get my cars up in the air about a meter off the ground and then I can rock them so that the front or back is in the air giving me fairly good access to the underside.
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:10 am

In a word ....No
Yes it will stop the rain in the rain rial and drainage trays and drainage tubes as long as they are kept clean any way as the norm, but the sills are double skinned and over lap which water can still creep between to breed tin worm so are the arch lips and owners also forget that you do as a norm get condensation in the boot that also runs down into the arches and sills.
Protection is the key for a long life.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/

Return to “General Body shop”