What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Internal Sill repair

This is the section to see what is hidding behind those panels, and how to get rid of the tin worm, cutting out and welding in fresh metal, protection and paint.
The-mx5-restorer

Internal Sill repair

Postby The-mx5-restorer » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:13 pm

These pictures will give you a good idea of what the internal structure of the Sill is on the Mk1 MX5, the MX2 is very similar, they will also show you how a correct repair should be carried out

This car didn't actually look that bad before we cut it open, and even with our experience we didn't expect to find this inside

now the best way to tackle any rust repair is not to look at the rusty holes wondering how you are going to deal with them, its best to simply cut it all out things always look more simple and easier to deal with then

see how that looks much less scary now

now you can concentrate on making bits of metal to repair the holes left

When things are this bad we then use a rear section of sill

and there it is, a full internal sill repair, after this the outer panel can go on, I forgot to take pictures of this one with the outer panel on, but you get the idea from these pictures of another car we did recently

Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Re: Internal Sill repair

Postby Mazda Mender » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:21 pm

Mmmmmm crunchy bits, :text-goodpost: :text-coolphotos: :bow-yellow: :handgestures-thumbup: :coffee:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
mk1divemaster
Serial Poster

Postby mk1divemaster » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:29 pm

Not so easy for a layman !! Lol
cjgreaves41
Regular

Postby cjgreaves41 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:24 pm

I know I'm bringing this back from the dead but excellent pictures! Helping no end with what I'm trying to do. Does anyone have any picture of the sill/ wing once the new wing has been fitted? How was it originally fixed to the putter sill? Cheera
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:01 pm

cjgreaves41 wrote:I know I'm bringing this back from the dead but excellent pictures! Helping no end with what I'm trying to do. Does anyone have any picture of the sill/ wing once the new wing has been fitted? How was it originally fixed to the putter sill? Cheera

Hi I'm no expert having only so far replaced one of my rear wings but this may help.

So I noticed that the new wing I purchased just ended without a 'return' flange which didn't seem right to me. I therefore decided that the wing needed a 'return flange' so that I could spot weld it to inner sill return flange. I've trying to draw this on in the next picture and also shown the additional section.

I've shown the inner sill return flange below.

So I added a new section to the bottom of wing so that I could then spot the wing to the inner return flange as shown below. I also added a drainage weep vent so that any water that collects behind the wing can drain. I've drawn a cross section on this set up on the photo to try to explain a bit further.

Hope this helps.
1996 Mk1 Classic Red 1.6 sorted
1995 Mk 1 White 1.6 in need of TLC
2015 Mk1 1.8 Exocet Mk1 on steroids
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:16 pm

Hi,

Just an update to make my last post a bit clearer. Photo of the bottom of a new rear wing with 'MY' bottom return flange solution fitted.

Nice finished job in my opinion. :-D
Brgdane
Regular

Postby Brgdane » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:17 am

Nice and clean solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjgreaves41
Regular

Postby cjgreaves41 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:54 am

John&Luke Really useful post! I'm half way through doing one side of mine! Scar but getting there! Picture are helpful!

Cheers
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:45 pm

cjgreaves41 wrote:John&Luke Really useful post! I'm half way through doing one side of mine! Scar but getting there! Picture are helpful!

Cheers

Couple more photos of the process I followed.
Old outer wing cut awat and inner wing repaired and painted with weld through primer.

Trial fit of replacement wing.

Tacked into position

Fully welded

Filler applied, rubbed down with 80 and then 120 grit, then guide coated before primer

Primed and flatted back with 320 grit
drumtochty

Postby drumtochty » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:27 pm

Good work that man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1999 Mk2 Silver
2008 Mk3 Copper Red gone
2018 Mk4 GT+ Red
Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae, Aberdeenshire
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:23 pm

The-mx5-restorer wrote:These pictures will give you a good idea of what the internal structure of the Sill is on the Mk1 MX5, the MX2 is very similar, they will also show you how a correct repair should be carried out

This car didn't actually look that bad before we cut it open, and even with our experience we didn't expect to find this inside

And this is why i sent my car to you straight away. What a basket case it was. I sent a few people your way at the spring rally as they were asking about the bodywork done to my car. :handgestures-thumbup:
1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young!
SmokeJaguar
New

Postby SmokeJaguar » Sat May 05, 2018 12:57 pm

Hmm would like to follow this thread but no pictures are showing
drumtochty

Postby drumtochty » Sat May 05, 2018 3:31 pm

Nothing new here, the photo issue started in summer 2017 when the photo hosting site Photobucket tried to hold users to Ransom.

If you use either Google Chrome or Firefox as a browser search for the photobucket fix that gets over this.

Not sure what other browsers have the fix available.
1999 Mk2 Silver
2008 Mk3 Copper Red gone
2018 Mk4 GT+ Red
Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae, Aberdeenshire
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sun May 06, 2018 9:00 am

It took months (and there are still some ?) to down load all the pics i did and re add them...lucking for us we can drag and drop or attach pics from any device straight to the board which means we do not need a third party to host them ...they self size and once locked in are in for good on our back ups...clicking on lockied in images on here expands them for better veiwing ,un fortunately we cannot do anything about other members post with them missing unless they re add them for the greater good or send them to us to re add...
Eddy...
If you can see them can you save them and send them direct to me buddy as you find any and i'll re add them were needed..
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
SmokeJaguar
New

Re: Internal Sill repair (Photobucket Issue)

Postby SmokeJaguar » Sun May 06, 2018 7:45 pm

Ahh my apologies i was ignorant of this issue, yep using Chrome the photos show up.
Cheers.

Return to “General Body shop”