What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Autosolo North Weald

Old posts and threads for past Events live here ,please feel free to have a nosey.
Colin S
Regular

Autosolo North Weald

Postby Colin S » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:09 pm

If anyone is interested Sevenoaks and District Motor Club are running an Autosolo at North Weald on the 23rd September (entries close 19th September)

What is an Autosolo? It is a forward only autotest on tarmac. This is a course laid out with cones on the runway and you are given a diagram of the route to drive around them against the clock-simples.....

Well not quite when you find yourself in the middle of a sea of cones wondering where the **** you are supposed to go next:)

It usually consists of something like three attemps at three tests.

It is one of the easiest forms of motorsport and does not require any modifications to the car, they must in fact have been driven to the event. No helmets overalls or gloves are required. You do not need a licence, you just need to be a member of an invited club (or failing that join Sevenoaks)

Regs are on the link http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/4520466/autosolo-23-september-2012-entry-form-and-regs-pdf-214k?da=y, or will be on http://www.sevenoaksmotorclub.com/regs.html

If you just want to see what goes on, then let me know and I will see if I can arrange a pass,although as it is a non spectator event you might end up driving a stop watch.

There were if I remember correctly 8 or 9 MX5s at our last one including a BBR, and a few from the North Thames MXOC

Any questions please ask.
Racing Bronze Mk2 1.8iS
The Captain
Turbo Charged

Re: Autosolo North Weald

Postby The Captain » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:20 pm

Colin, whats the cost and how can I enter?
Colin S
Regular

Postby Colin S » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:04 pm

Click on the first link Nick (the keep and share one) The other link will work once the web master has pulled his finger out :-)

There you will find regs and entry form-fill out entry form (club is MX5OC I think) and send with cheque for ÂŁ30 -or give it to me and I will drop it in -Keith lives around the corner from me.

Edit
one thing I forgot to point out is that list 1B tyres are not allowed. This means some of the track day specials like the Toyo R88 A008 etc. Most normal road tyres are ok and I have a current Blue Book with the lists so it is easy enough to check
Racing Bronze Mk2 1.8iS
Colin S
Regular

Postby Colin S » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:43 pm

One thing I ought to mention is that an Autosolo can be quite mentally challenging.

Last weekend we had a Sprint at North Weald which was by comparison a very simple layout yet some of the competitors didn't manage a correct route after two convoy runs, three practise runs and three timed runs.

The course is laid out with cones and you have to remember the route through them while trying to drive as quickly as you can.

What this does mean that tactics come into play-do you go slightly slower and take less penalties, or go too quickly and risk a wrong route which carries a 20 second penalty.

It also means that someone who may not be the fastest driver but is good at remembering patterns can be competitive.

We have had a guy double driving with SWMBO beaten as although she was a little slower, she didn't make any mistakes. Needless to say we were all sympathetic .......not :-D
Racing Bronze Mk2 1.8iS
Colin S
Regular

Postby Colin S » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:06 pm

Ok the web master has now put the regs and entry form up on the sevenoaksmotorclub site

They are now available here as well as the first link
http://www.sevenoaksmotorclub.com/regs.html

Again any questions just shout

Edit just had a look to make sure link works........wonder if I should mention that you can compete in Autosolos at 16 :-D
Racing Bronze Mk2 1.8iS
Colin S
Regular

Postby Colin S » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:37 pm

Ok for those of you entering the Autosolo and particularly those whose haven't done an event like this before (and probably a few who have) a few general reminders .

Paperwork
Don't leave it until the last minute to get your entry form in, and make sure you have filled it in correctly and included the fee.

Please make sure you have read and understood the regulations, both Blue Book and Supplementary, and any other paperwork you have been sent.

Remember to bring the following with you:-
1 Club membership card for one of the invited clubs.
2. MOT Certificate or V5 if less than 3 years old.
3. Insurance Certificate.
4. Gate pass as supplied with Finals

Vehicle
Must be road going with current Tax MOT and Insurance and have been driven to event. Must be on list 1A tyres and not List 1B as defined in Blue Book.

Should be in good condition:-tyres should have legal tread, battery should be properly secured etc. Make sure fluids are all topped up, including sufficient Petrol, and tyre pressures are correct.

General
Try not to get there late. You should be there by 8.15am, when signing on opens. When you get there go to signing on with your paperwork and as the name suggests sign on. You then need to take the car to be scrutineered, which for an Autosolo is not that intensive.

Once this is done you can familiarise yourself with the layout of the first test, walk the course etc, until the Drivers Briefing at 9.30-DO NOT miss the briefing!.

North Weald is an Airfield and as such can get a bit chilly when the wind blows-which is pretty much all the time. I usually have my bag with me which has a selection of clothing from waterproofs to sun tan cream. Quite a few people take a small tent or ground sheet to decant all the useful bits from the boot/interior to.

The above is not intended to be a full list of everything you might need-rather an aide memoir-if you forget something vital it is your own fault!

Finally:-If you are unsure of anything then ASK! Above all enjoy yourself-it is supposed to be fun :-D
Racing Bronze Mk2 1.8iS
Colin S
Regular

Postby Colin S » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:17 pm

Ok folks entries close on Wednesday 19th for this event, which is our last one for this year. I think we have at least a couple of MX5s out.

If anyone else is thinking about coming and playing then get your entry form in ASAP :-)
Racing Bronze Mk2 1.8iS
The Captain
Turbo Charged

Postby The Captain » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Had a go at this today, and while I can see the attraction for some people I couldn't grasp the route around the cones, so maybe its not for me, but I have to say the host club were very friendly and helpful and it is something that everyone should try.

I'm hoping that Colin may have a pic or two of me cocking it up :)
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Postby flea » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:07 pm

Oh i do hope so matey :coffee: Oh Colin
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
Colin S
Regular

Postby Colin S » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:56 pm

I think you are being a bit hard on yourself to be honest Nick.

Yes you did get the route wrong but not by much and the second run I think you only missed one cone. Now seeing as how you had never even seen an Autosolo I don't reckon that was too bad.

Of course the weather didn't help much, and yes I did end up a bit damp even with my waterproofs on. Mind you North Weald ran true to form and it was dry there for the last runs at about 4.30.

It might help to try an Autotest or two which are a lot shorter and only have 5 or 6 cones so don't tax the brain quite as much. They also help you to learn how to power slide without wearing the tyres out.......

As to photos -of course I have pics now whats it worth not to use the ones with the Hood up? :-D
Racing Bronze Mk2 1.8iS
The Captain
Turbo Charged

Postby The Captain » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:14 am

Colin S wrote:I think you are being a bit hard on yourself to be honest Nick.

Yes you did get the route wrong but not by much and the second run I think you only missed one cone. Now seeing as how you had never even seen an Autosolo I don't reckon that was too bad.

Of course the weather didn't help much, and yes I did end up a bit damp even with my waterproofs on. Mind you North Weald ran true to form and it was dry there for the last runs at about 4.30.

It might help to try an Autotest or two which are a lot shorter and only have 5 or 6 cones so don't tax the brain quite as much. They also help you to learn how to power slide without wearing the tyres out.......

As to photos -of course I have pics now whats it worth not to use the ones with the Hood up? :-D
Cheers Colin
Colin S
Regular

Postby Colin S » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:14 pm

Well I have just had a look at the results....

You are not going to believe this Nick but you beat Simon in the BBR ( he went wrong more than you!) and he has done it before

So you didn't do quite as badly as you thought :handgestures-thumbup:
Racing Bronze Mk2 1.8iS
The Captain
Turbo Charged

Postby The Captain » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:26 pm

Colin S wrote:Well I have just had a look at the results....

You are not going to believe this Nick but you beat Simon in the BBR ( he went wrong more than you!) and he has done it before

Cool.
The Captain
Turbo Charged

Postby The Captain » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:16 pm

Colin S wrote:Well I have just had a look at the results....

Any pics of me in action or going the wrong way Colin?
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Postby flea » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:21 pm

Gowd we'll never hear the end of it now. :lol:
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8

Return to “ARCHIVE:Event topics”