What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Painting Calipers

Everything about getting your 5 looking beautiful, shiny & keeping it that way
goblin82
Just Run In

Painting Calipers

Postby goblin82 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:22 pm

Hello,

I'm going to get my calipers painted and wondering what paint is recommended and what else do I need? I haven't decided if I want yellow or red yet, my car is twilight blue with bbs alloys so any suggestions appreciated!

I'm going to get my mechanic to do it whilst he fits new pads/discs, he will have my car from 9 to 5.30 so will this be enough time to apply the required coats and for it to dry enough to drive it?

Cheers
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Re: Painting Calipers

Postby flea » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:57 pm

Hammerite smooth. Plenty of time ;-)
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
Yolo
Epic Poster

Postby Yolo » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:02 pm

I got a wee kit off amazon which came with paint, brake cleaner and a brush. Just done the new carriers and have to get the calipers off now to get them sorted. :handgestures-thumbup:
Mk 1 Eunos 1.6 Silver
Meister Suspension - Mk2.5 leather seats - IL Motorsport Bushes - 1.8 brake upgrade
Getting there slowly
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4699
The Captain
Turbo Charged

Postby The Captain » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:51 pm

Two or three coats of Hammerite smooth, as Roy said, dries quick. No need to remove them to paint them, in fact its easier when they are on the car.
Last edited by The Captain on Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
goblin82
Just Run In

Postby goblin82 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:59 pm

Thanks Flea and Yolo!

Will have a look for the kit but if not is it the Hammerite smooth direct to rust paint? Is the aerosol best or tin? Do I need more than one tin/can?

Cheers
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Postby flea » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:40 pm

That's the stuff. I use the brush on stuff. Two coats. Make sure they are clean before applying
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
goblin82
Just Run In

Postby goblin82 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:19 pm

Thanks everyone!

Sorry what size tin do I need to do the full job with a bit to spare as a top up (250/500/750 or 1l)?

Cheers
The Captain
Turbo Charged

Postby The Captain » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:48 am

goblin82 wrote:Thanks everyone!

Sorry what size tin do I need to do the full job with a bit to spare as a top up (250/500/750 or 1l)?

Cheers

Its about ÂŁ8, that'll get your 2 or 3 coats plus loads for doing them again next year. If you an get smallish brushes that are cheap just use those and chuck them away after.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:22 am

I recommend that you try and remove as much rust as you can and clean them well with brake cleaner in a spray tin, as Nick say ,it is easier to do them still attached, Hammerite smooth will be fine just for normal pottering about, but any more than that i would highly recommend proper caliper paint as the hammerite smooth will burn with the heat.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
goblin82
Just Run In

Postby goblin82 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:55 pm

Thanks Captain & Wayne!

Return to “Cleaning & Detailing”