What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Should I Refurb Original Wheels or Replace?

Everything about getting your 5 looking beautiful, shiny & keeping it that way
Barn1e
Regular

Should I Refurb Original Wheels or Replace?

Postby Barn1e » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi
I have a very low mileage 51 plate Mk2.5 Sport that I think is in excellent condition. I would like to think of it as a car that we will keep for a long time time so have embarked on rust treatment and trying to nip any bodywork or mechanical issues in the bud.

I am not interesting in modernising the car, in fact I like the idea that it is "original". But my dilemma is, what do I do about blistering finish on the original alloy wheels?

I have had a quote of £330 to refurbish them, including tyre removal and refit. I could spend more and get knew replacements which I assume would not look like the originals. Having written this, I am now wondering if the originals are available.

Can't decide, but will need to over the next 12 months as I think this winter will take it's toll on the wheels and make a smart looking car look scruffy.
Barn1e
MY51 Mk2.5 1.8 Sport in Crystal Blue
agent_orange
Epic Poster

Re: Should I Refurb Original Wheels or Replace?

Postby agent_orange » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Barn1e wrote:Hi
I have a very low mileage 51 plate Mk2.5 Sport that I think is in excellent condition. I would like to think of it as a car that we will keep for a long time time so have embarked on rust treatment and trying to nip any bodywork or mechanical issues in the bud.

I am not interesting in modernising the car, in fact I like the idea that it is "original". But my dilemma is, what do I do about blistering finish on the original alloy wheels?

I have had a quote of £330 to refurbish them, including tyre removal and refit. I could spend more and get knew replacements which I assume would not look like the originals. Having written this, I am now wondering if the originals are available.

Can't decide, but will need to over the next 12 months as I think this winter will take it's toll on the wheels and make a smart looking car look scruffy.

That quote sounds very steep to me. If theres no kerbing and you just want to give your wheels fresh new paint I would suggest refurbing yourself - will cost you a fraction. Captain has made a thread on here about how he refurbed his Mk2.5 Sport wheels.

The only problem with you do the job yourself, is whether the car is your daily rider and whether you can leave her wheeless for a week or so.
2003 Mk 2.5 Euphonic Velocity Red Sadly died of rust cancer
1999 Mk2 VS
1991 Mk1
stevehh
Regular

Postby stevehh » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:27 pm

If you have the space, pick up a cheap set on e-bay, and either use them for winter, or get them refurbished.
I picked up a set for £32, and had them powder coated for £160.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131009181138? ... 26_rdc%3D1

Steve
2004 Mx5 Sport
Barn1e
Regular

Postby Barn1e » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:51 am

Steve
Thanks for the link. They actually look like very good wheels. I have contacted the seller. Depending how he replies I may have to learn how to bid on ebay :confusion-confused:

I quite like the idea of two sets of wheels and tyres with one set with winters fitted. That would make a huge difference on those days when we get snow! I could then try some DIY reburbishment on the naff set.

Barrie
Barn1e
steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:37 pm

He's on Nutz, and has them on there for £200 iirc
MX-5 1.8 S-VT Sport 1.8 2002/02 Finished in Starlight Silver with matching hardtop

I'm learning.........Slowly!
stevehh
Regular

Postby stevehh » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:20 pm

steffydog wrote:He's on Nutz, and has them on there for £200 iirc

Are you selling a set on e-bay too?

Steve
2004 Mx5 Sport
steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Yep, I have a set with tyres on, I might split them, and sell wheels & tyres separately.

Hopefully i'll get some images of the wheels and upload them tomorrow :)
MX-5 1.8 S-VT Sport 1.8 2002/02 Finished in Starlight Silver with matching hardtop

steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:19 am

Pics from this morning:

Badknee
Serial Poster

Postby Badknee » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:15 am

Barn1e wrote:Steve
Depending how he replies I may have to learn how to bid on ebay :confusion-confused:
Barrie

Set up a paypal account and bid last minute so seller does not have time to get the price jacked up and don't get auction fever. Pick a price and stick to it, there will be other items along sooner or later. :wink:
Paul & Angela.
'93 1.8 in Super Silver
Fully blinged up (thanks M-m)
Lowered into the weeds hung on Gaz Gold Pro's.
The Captain
Turbo Charged

Postby The Captain » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:06 am

Badknee wrote:
Barn1e wrote:Steve
Depending how he replies I may have to learn how to bid on ebay :confusion-confused:
Barrie

Set up a paypal account and bid last minute so seller does not have time to get the price jacked up and don't get auction fever. Pick a price and stick to it, there will be other items along sooner or later. :wink:

Or, rather than have to be online when the auction is ending, pop in the highest you are willing to pay. Unless someone is bidding against you the bid amount does not go up, so you might have bid say £25 but end up buying something for say £5.
Barn1e
Regular

Postby Barn1e » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:38 am

Thanks for replies. The ebay seller confirmed the were all in good condition and also mentioned that he has 3 MX5's and knew about the bubbling issue and said the wheels had very little. Fits with the comment about him being on Nutz.

I may put in a silly bid and see what happens. I like the idea of trying to refurbish the existing wheels, but dont want SWMBO asking me when she can have the wheels back on her car!
Barn1e
steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:43 pm

Did you win them?

I think I'll keep my Sport wheels and sell the Euphonics.

stevehh
Regular

Postby stevehh » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:58 pm

The winner had a feedback score of 231, so it looks like a fairly regular ebayer won. They come up on a regularly, so all you have to do is wait. Another set here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-MX-5-Mi ... 20d9380792

I do think the euphonic wheels are the best looking 16" wheels, I wouldn't sell them.

Steve
2004 Mx5 Sport
Barn1e
Regular

Postby Barn1e » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:04 am

No I did not bid in the end. I meant to and then went into a manic spell at work and forgot to place a bid. Now I have seen the Euphonics in the photo, I am not quite so keen to keep everything original!! I think I need to see a few MX5's in crystal blue with replacement wheels to see what looks best. Grey and black works well, but blue and black????? Not so sure
Barn1e
steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:50 am

Refub them any colour you like :)

Return to “Cleaning & Detailing”