What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Jacking points for Hydraulic jack and Axle stands

Anything goes in here.. within reason
paggers
Serial Poster

Re: Jacking points for Hydraulic jack and Axle stands

Postby paggers » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:25 pm

Don't worry, you are asking many of the same questions I did at the beginning.

For the front your line is in the right place but you want to jack in the middle of the flat section as if you jack to one side or the other the car will start to slide to one side and could fall off the jack. So go in the middle and lift the whole of the front end of the car, safest approach.

For the back, the orange square is where I usually jack but to be honest I was just reading the Mazda manuals (proper ones in PDF format) that MM linked and apparently the underneath of the differential (black star) is the 'official' jacking point for the rear. So I may well start using that myself. Don't use the blue start point as firstly it would be off centre and secondly you could crush the brace bar.

Regarding jacking, yes you can put the axle stand under the car without any wood, and I have seen plenty of people do it. My concern is always that you are putting a lot of weight on two small points (the edges of the stand) but so long as you position it carefully under the 'corrugated' section of the sill (you will see what I mean when you look) you should be fine.

Good luck with getting her in the air!
Niall

1997 1.8i Roadster in Black
- Induction kit, Stainless Exhaust System, Lowered Springs
1998 1.8i S MX-5 in Silver
- Under restoration

Also into taking a few pictures - check out my website.
steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:54 pm

Brilliant, many thanks paggers (nice photos too, is the BMW yours? I assume it is).

So middle of the front sub frame as you called it, and the diff for rear, i'll find a piece of wood to spread the load on the diff, and some for the axle stands.

(Made some blocks up 5" long by 1 1/4")

My only other issue is that my car is low, so I can't get my low rise jack under the front to get it up, hence I was looking for something off centre to get one side up at a time. Is there anything else?
MX-5 1.8 S-VT Sport 1.8 2002/02 Finished in Starlight Silver with matching hardtop

I'm learning.........Slowly!
paggers
Serial Poster

Postby paggers » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:45 pm

steffydog wrote:Brilliant, many thanks paggers (nice photos too, is the BMW yours? I assume it is).

You totally threw me there but eventually worked out that you have been on my site, thanks for the compliment. The BMW used to be mine but due to an ageing back that doesn't want to do long unsupported rides any more I sold it at the end of last summer and bought an MX5 instead. Closest in fun I can get to the bike. (Mk2 will be closer still once it is eventually supercharged.)
Niall

- Under restoration

steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:52 pm

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Ah I see, fair enough.
MX-5 1.8 S-VT Sport 1.8 2002/02 Finished in Starlight Silver with matching hardtop

steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:22 pm

In picture 1, is the blue circled object the oil sump, ie where I drain the engine oil, really keen to get busy tomorrow, if its not raining...does this a 19mm socket?

Yolo
Epic Poster

Postby Yolo » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:51 pm

My only other issue is that my car is low, so I can't get my low rise jack under the front to get it up, hence I was looking for something off centre to get one side up at a time. Is there anything else?[/quote]

Hi Steffy, mine isn't low but the jack is quite high so make it easier I used a couple fencing boards 6" by 1" to drive up onto. They are stable and raise the car just a couple of inches enough to allow for easier jacking and they don't get in the road. I hope this helps the jacking but the points for the stands still confuse me a bit now so I will have to get back under the car again and have another look at the rails behind the standard jack points.
Mk 1 Eunos 1.6 Silver
Meister Suspension - Mk2.5 leather seats - IL Motorsport Bushes - 1.8 brake upgrade
Getting there slowly
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4699
paggers
Serial Poster

Postby paggers » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:50 am

I had the same problem on my Mk1 - ride height is 32cm (wheel centre to arch) so not that low but even so my jack wouldn't go under. In the end I got tired of messing about and bought a low entry trolley jack which only needs 9cm clearance under the car.
Niall

- Under restoration

steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:11 am

My low rise jack goes under, but I can't pump the handle :(

I went with a single brick under each front wheel, that was fine, gave me the clearance i needed, well i had to pump through the wheel arch.

Still not confident. But getting there. Oh and I going the jack point paggers, cheers.

steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:14 am

Can I drive onto 4 bricks, ie front and back?
I realised I can't do back either.

DavesBRG5

Postby DavesBRG5 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:37 am

I drive onto a couple of planks of hard wood then my trolley jack fits under no bother.
DAVE

1992 1.6 BRG V-Spec - 2003 MK2.5 Sport - 1992 ROADSTER 1.6.
Yolo
Epic Poster

Postby Yolo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:44 am

DavesBRG5 wrote:I drive onto a couple of planks of hard wood then my trolley jack fits under no bother.

Me too its easier to hit a bit of wood than trying to balance on a brick but same effect.

So steffy what the plan now u r up in the air.? What's first?
Mk 1 Eunos 1.6 Silver
Meister Suspension - Mk2.5 leather seats - IL Motorsport Bushes - 1.8 brake upgrade
Getting there slowly
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4699
steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Ah, good points, I was unsure on the brick balancing game.

I put her down again as I just wasn't sure. Ill try again next weekend :)

nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Mon May 19, 2014 10:26 pm

I have some photo's to help with jacking and axle stands.

Firstly the front and rear jacking point I use. I've simply attached some tape to show where I jack. Also note my car is low so I drive onto wooden ramps first so I can actually get a jack underneath.

Rear on the two diff bolts.

The front is jacked on the middle of the cross member.

The chassis rails are not strong and will bend in the middle, but if you use the double skin sections at the ends they will be fine.

Hope that helps. BE SAFE
Mk1 1.6 Turbo. Gaz shocks. Tr Lane roll bar.
Garage Owner, Lincolshire
Helper to the Scunny track day crew and North Linc's Track Day Club.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
Badknee
Serial Poster

Postby Badknee » Tue May 20, 2014 7:33 pm

:text-goodpost: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :text-coolphotos:

I must admit even after 45 yrs of jacking cars up this thread was a great help, thank you.

Scaffolding planks, where did I see some :confusion-confused:
Paul & Angela.
'93 1.8 in Super Silver
Fully blinged up (thanks M-m)
Lowered into the weeds hung on Gaz Gold Pro's.
Johnny5
Regular

Postby Johnny5 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:08 am

A great thread.
:text-coolphotos: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :text-goodpost: :text-thankyouyellow:
1990 original classic red eunos

1997 1.8 mk1 ltd edition Merlot

Return to “General chat and banter”