What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Articles YOU are happy to contribute

What we are hoping to achieve from this web site and forum,for ourselves and for you.
MrChrome
Serial Poster

Articles YOU are happy to contribute

Postby MrChrome » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:23 am

Please let us know what articles you are happy to provide.

I don't need the article itself here just the title. Then we can get some sort of list together and get this place moving.
Now at DoctorMX5...
Colin S
Regular

Re: Articles YOU are happy to contribute

Postby Colin S » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:52 pm

I changed my busted Number plate plinth last week end and actually remembered to take a few pics.

Would this be useful or is it a bit too basic?

What sort of size is best for images-I take it 6.7mb ones might be a bit big :)

I usually use 800 wide and about the 100kb mark would this be about right?

I also took door panel off as central locking was playing up but forgot to get camera out for that-maybe the next time it goes wrong.....
Racing Bronze Mk2 1.8iS
Skuzzle
Serial Poster

Postby Skuzzle » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:39 pm

yup 800x600 or there abouts is perfect.
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:09 pm

Nothing is too simple. What's simple to you might be a scarey nightmare to someone with no technical knowledge/experience :)
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
17” OZ Racing Superturissmo wheels (for the toad)
15” Rota Circuit 10 wheels (for track use)
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:52 pm

Get it up and posted Col.
As Lazza as said, easy job for you ,total nightmare for someone else somewhere.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Colin S
Regular

Postby Colin S » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:43 pm

Ok description written, photos sorted and re sized and Instructions scanned to PDFs

I assume that I should now e-mail it to someone, so that being the case who would be the best person to send it to?
Racing Bronze Mk2 1.8iS
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:53 pm

My self or skuzy Col
M-m
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Ghostrider
Regular

Postby Ghostrider » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:11 pm

Can provide an article on colour changing the interior if it's any use. If I can do it, anyone can!
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:22 pm

By all means,Get it posted up, :wink:
we have loads of stuff sat on the hard drive ready for posting up into how to's when we get the time, and agent orange( he is the software wizz kid for the site) can pop them into the FAQ's and how to sections, for everyone else to use with your name on them for good, which will also be shared with Autolinks site for even more owners to view.
:-D :coffee:
M-m

flea
Moderator Wannabe

Postby flea » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:50 pm

Nice one Rob. Well done :handgestures-thumbup:
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
Rob
Regular

Postby Rob » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:53 pm

and front brake lines/flexi/caliper change.

---------------------------------------
Today I changed the front brake lines from Master cylinder to hose both sides. I knew I was going to have a job getting the old ones out so to make life easier I decided to change the flex hoses at the same time and whilst I was there I may as well change callipers for the ones I got off the bay. this is a bit photo heavy so will be done over several posts.
This was a relatively easy task to carry out.
Time taken about 5 hours but I was slacking a bit :P
Tools used:
Trolley Jack and 2 axle stands
Wheel nut wrench
Flat screwdriver
Cross head screwdriver
mole grips
wire brush
blow lamp
hacksaw
Spanners - 8mm, 10mm, 11mm, 14mm
Sockets - 10mm, 12mm, 14mm and 15mm
pipe cutter
pipe double flaring tool
bench vice
zip ties

So the first thing I did was slacken the wheel nuts and jack up support and remove the wheels.
Here is the drivers side before starting.
I put cling film over the MS to reduce the loss of fluid but it did not work lol.

Getting the pipe out of the union was a pain in the ass. I wasted 2 hours when I should of just taken a hacksaw to it as it was being binned anyway.

Next remove the U shaped spring clip, this will work lose quite easy with the help of some light taps and work with a screwdriver

Remove the connection at the Master Cylinder. (centre far left) 10mm spanner then just pull the pipe out from any plastic clips and lift away.
Actually its not that simple, due to the shape of the pipe and the need to keep it that way so you can use as template for the new pipe you actually need to twist and turn it this way and that to get it out.

Pipe removed

Flex hose removed, this took some getting out it was rusted in solid so a quick call to Craig for some tips and out with the hammer and mole grips and off it came. you need a 12 mm socket at the calliper end

Next up was to make my new brake line.
I took the old line and measured with some wire so I knew what length to cut.

The I took my roll of new pipe and cut the required length

I cleaned up the ends and added a very slight internal chamfer, then placed the pipe in the flaring vice ensuring the amount poking through was correct per the flaring die.

I lubricated the die with a little brake fluid and placed it into the pipe

Then I attached the compression tool and tightened up to make the first flare you cant really over tighten this as you can feel it when it is done.

I inspected the flare to make sure it was good enough to continue for the double flare, no point continuing if it was not the right shape.

The compression tool was used again but this time without the die to make the second flare completing the double flare.

On removal I had a nice even double flare, it was clean and true

I mated it up to a joint to check that it was good.

Then before repeating the process on the other end, I slid the couplings onto the pipe making sure they were the correct way round.

The finished pipe, now all I need to do is add the bends.

I found zip ties very handy whilst adding the bends as I was working by hand and just bending the pipe as I worked along the length I add ties as I progressed.

I then moved on to the passenger side, removal was just the same as I had done for the drivers for the most part, except this time I used a hacksaw on the pipe which saved me some time. Since this pipe is longer and very different from the drivers side here are pics. Also this pip runs along the bulkhead so you also need to pull the pipe away from its clip mountings you can remove 1 bolt and screw from the aircon pipe to make it easier. I also removed my air filter and heat shield to give better access.

Before cutting the new length.

New length cut and bent to shape.

I opted to do the flaring after bends this time, due to size and shape

And all fitted.

Passenger side complete

Drivers side complete

New pipes at the MS

And along the bulkhead
Rob
Regular

Postby Rob » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:55 pm

front damper and springs change (non alignment affecting method AKA the hard way lol)
Driver suspension changed.
Method
put the car in gear and apply handbrake, loosen wheel nuts.
Jackup the car and support on stands and remove wheel.

under the bonnet slacken the middle nut of the strut top (DO NOT REMOVE), slacken and remove the two outer nuts.

Next remove the bolt, nut and washer from the bottom of the damper.

Next remove the top bolt from the ARB drop link.

I had to remove the bottom bolt as the top one was rusted solid.

Make a note of which way round things are in relation to each other. Attach spring compressors to the spring, (you need at least 5 coils or you won't get enough reduction to remove the strut). I used the bottom plate where the spring sits to gain enough reduction ( can be risky especially if they are flat but mine were recessed so I took the risk) sorry I forgot this pic lol.

Now comes the difficult bit, using a power bar for leverage on the bottom wishbone, push the bottom wishbone down whilst manipulating the strut out of its seat and away from the car.

Whilst you have the strut out, now is a great time to clean up inside there and treat the area.
I went for underseal as my finish of choice.

Whilst that is drying take the strut and remove the middle nut from the top and carefully remove the spring compressors. Lift away the spring and set aside the top mount and gaiter if present, and the bump stop.
Take the new spring and damper and assemble using the old top mount gaiter, bump stop, and gasket. Fit the spring compressors and compress in the same manner as done to the old one.

Now the hard bit if your by yourself.
With strut in one hand and foot on wishbone leverage, force the wishbone down and manipulate the strut into place referring to your reference point taken for the old one. You will need to compress the damper at the same time so as you can imagine his is quite difficult to do.

With the strut in place you can now fit all your bolts and tighten them up but not fully, the suspension needs to be under load when you fully tighten or you will have issues.
To place the suspension under load without wheels, just place a jack under the wheel hub as far out as you can and jack up till the car just starts to lift off the support stands the car will be sitting on.
Now get that torque wrench and tighten the nuts up to the specified settings.

Fit the wheel and lower the car back down and take a trip around the block to make sure everything feels all right.
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Postby flea » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:58 pm

:handgestures-thumbup:
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:12 pm

:-D :handgestures-thumbup: :coffee:
M-m

Return to “Our aim and goals....”