What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Binding front brake

chadz
Regular

Binding front brake

Postby chadz » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:16 pm

Hi
I've got a problem with the front nearside brake binding.
The caliper, disc, pads all new 3 years ago and greased using the correct grease on caliper, and pads to aid movement. The guide pins top and bottom lubricated and caliper moving/ sliding as normal.
Before putting wheel on rotated to ensure not binding.
Spreader springs in place and working. On the road after braking a couple of times the brake is binding. Excessive heat and very noticeable retarding of forward movement. Any ideas what is going wrong?

Chadz.
blackyb

Re: Binding front brake

Postby blackyb » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:53 pm

Pistons seized would be my guess.
Strip her down and see of the piston pushes back in easily. The piston should as far as I know, move back into the housing slightly after the brake pedal has been applied, when they start to seize, the dont.
Either buy a rebuild kit ( did this to a former mx5 we had, not too hard to do) or for ease and speed, get a new caliper ( if its the piston then I would replace both sides)
But what do I know, according to the wife NOTHING USEFULL.
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
chadz
Regular

Postby chadz » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:43 am

Many thanks.
The piston did go back in with a rubber lube on the seal and silicon grease on the exposed part of the piston. No visible corrosion. As you said the piston must be the culprit.

Chadz. :text-thankyouyellow:
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:25 pm

When we bought our current mk1, it had the same symptoms. As it was then our 2nd mx, I ordered two rebuild kits, stripped both calipers down, cleaned and rebuilt them with new seals and pistons. Never had a problem with the fronts since.
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)

Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:24 pm

Are you 100% sure it's not a brake pad sticking? .
Now for the last 3 years have you serviced the brakes with a routine refresh ...clean,regrease, reset and bleed air out of the calipers? If you have just done them the once 3 years ago..? Then chances are it could be a slider sticking, pad on the slider clips, or pot rusted on the inside.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
chadz
Regular

Postby chadz » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:28 am

Hello and thanks for your suggestions regarding my binding brake.
When I changed the caliper etc 3 years ago I used the correct Girling brake hose clamp to prevent the brake fluid leaking out.
I believe this has resulted in the rubber hose collapsing inside and forming a one way restriction, not allowing the pressure to ease when the brake pedal is released.
The hose would have been 21 years old so even using the correct tool the crushing effect has caused the damage above.
I will remove the wheel, pump up the brake and see if it is binding. If it is I will open the bleed valve to see if the reduced pressure in the caliper allows the disc to rotate without binding. If so, the hose must be the problem.

Chadz
GlennyGills

Postby GlennyGills » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:50 pm

Sounds like excellent detective work - hope you solve the problem
'96 Gleneagles MeisterR Coilovers - engine bling stainless mx5parts full exhaust
chadz
Regular

Postby chadz » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:34 pm

The plan was implemented and I have to report that the brake is still binding.
Greased up with plenty of movement on the slide pins, disc revolving nicely, engine started, brake pumped and disc held tight. Caliper nipple opened, no change, so not the brake hose. A few taps on the caliper body with soft hammer, bingo disc turns, no binding.
But that is no good because when the brake is applied again disc is clamped tightly when brake pedal released.
Because the caliper is in my opinion OK I am going to change the hose anyway 'cos it' s 24 years old and the caliper is just 3 years old.
Is the answer to my problem something I have overlooked?

Chadz.
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:02 pm

Not an MX but bro in law had a Mitsubishi 4x4 with sticking brakes, after checking the calipers by applying the brakes first, brakes stuck on. Undid the bleed nipple and brakes eased of. Process of elimination it was in this case the master cylinder which we stripped down and rebuilt..

So you could try that first and see if the brakes ease. Brakes on and off, check! if stuck undo the bleed nipple and see if it eases off, if not then I stick by my original diagnosis, piston sticking, caliper might only be three years old but if moisture is in the system, they soon rust up internally especially if subject to little use and long layups.

I would swap out both calipers for new (not cheap bay of E) and give the system a right good bleed so she has nice clean fluid in. That said, i'm a little OT when it comes to our MX.
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)

Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:55 am

The only time I have had a OE brake hose collapse inside is from being clamped off for a long long time, not a couple of days or a couple of weeks, I have had people here to sort that were stupid enough to clamp a braided S/S hose which they do not understand after explaining ,that it is just a plastic tube with S/S braid around it and is simply to stop flex for direct pressure to the caliper pot, so clamping crushes it.
Like I say ,I would be very surprised if it is the OE hose at fault, but everyday can be a learning day, what did you use to clamp it ? and by any chance are we talking about the so called large "sports brakes" ?.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
chadz
Regular

Postby chadz » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:49 am

Standard brakes. I used a girling hose clamp where 2 round bars clamp together.
I have sent for a replacement caliper, hoping it is a sticking piston.

Chadz

Return to “MK2/2.5 - 1998 > 2000/ 2001 > 2005 (NB)”