What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

ECM repair or replace ?

Tberry6686
New

ECM repair or replace ?

Postby Tberry6686 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:03 pm

Finally managed to get the ECM out of the missus car (P1562 fault). There is a fair bit of corrosion around the bottom (where the connector are) and i suspect the ECU itself has some corrosion internally.

Is it better to source a decent second hand one or find a place that can repair the current one ?

Also, when removing the plugs one of the wires snapped in my fingers (wasn't being rough or anything - just seemed to catch it wrong). can I just push the end of the wire into the connector block and expect it to work or is it going to be a lot harder than that.
Attachments
IMG_0275.JPG
IMG_0275.JPG (649.21 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
IMG_0277.JPG
IMG_0277.JPG (728.57 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
IMG_0276.JPG
IMG_0276.JPG (712.27 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
drumtochty

Re: ECM repair or replace ?

Postby drumtochty » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:55 pm

The keys, ECU and the imobiliser are a set.

You have to change the complete set.

In the short term get it dry and rust cleaned off and make sure the battery connections are clean and tight and try to get it started. If it starts then replace the plug leads.

I asume the cabin drains are now clear.

If it does not start then get a new set of ECU, immobiliser and keys .
1999 Mk2 Silver
2008 Mk3 Copper Red gone
2018 Mk4 GT+ Red
Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae, Aberdeenshire
Tberry6686
New

Re: ECM repair or replace ?

Postby Tberry6686 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:59 am

Hi Dromochty

Car has been starting ok (initial symptom was erratic idle and occasional stalling) Then got the engine warning light, code reader gave P1562 which after looking online, suggested ECU. Pulled back the carpet and then saw the water.

I have tried to clear the drain holes but it appears that they were welded up when the sill was replaced, going to drill them out tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice

Return to “MK2/2.5 - 1998 > 2000/ 2001 > 2005 (NB)”