What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

6 SPEED GEARBOX OIL CHANGE ! BEWARE !

alan
Regular

6 SPEED GEARBOX OIL CHANGE ! BEWARE !

Postby alan » Thu May 31, 2012 1:00 pm

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU CHANGE THE G/BOX OIL IF YOU HAVE A SIX SPEED

Before changing the oil in a 6 speed gearbox please read this Mazda Service Bulletin. If you undo the wrong plug you could end up needing a re-build.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/s05_112_02.html

Alan
1990 Silver MK1 1600 SOLD
You have the right to remain silent Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you
IF YOU CANT FIX IT WITH A HAMMER YOUVE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM
Lazza
Site Admin

Re: 6 SPEED GEARBOX OIL CHANGE ! BEWARE !

Postby Lazza » Thu May 31, 2012 4:33 pm

A couple of other things to note on 6-speed...
There is no need to worry about turret oil as 6-speed lubricates the turret from the gearbox oil.
That means that the lower gear shift boot (the smaller round one) is actually more important on the 6-speed as it stops dirt/dust from getting into the gearbox. In the 5-speed it only keeps the turret clean and keeps the turret oil in.

Does that mean the 6-speed can be refilled via the turret? If so, I wish I'd have thought of that before I changed the oil in my gearbox :roll: Gearbox oil is one of my least favourite smells and it seems to be almost impossible to avoid getting it down your arm when refilling from under the car.

On all gearboxes and differentials, always remove the refill plug before the drain plug. The last thing you want to do is remove the drain plug first, drain the oil out then find you can't get the refill plug out! :oops:
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
17” OZ Racing Superturissmo wheels (for the toad)
15” Rota Circuit 10 wheels (for track use)
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Postby flea » Thu May 31, 2012 4:42 pm

The simple tips always seem to be the best
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:38 am

Ah, so I can refill my gearbox oil through my turret in the cabin area?

Just slowly and with a funnel, have I read that correctly...
MX-5 1.8 S-VT Sport 1.8 2002/02 Finished in Starlight Silver with matching hardtop

I'm learning.........Slowly!
BenF
Epic Poster

Postby BenF » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:42 am

steffydog wrote:Ah, so I can refill my gearbox oil through my turret in the cabin area?

Just slowly and with a funnel, have I read that correctly...

I'd agree with that based on the above :handgestures-thumbup:

IMO, you need to be a bit of a plank to remove that 8mm (FEMALE) hex in the bulletin thinking it's the filler, no?
steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:01 am

I think even I can tell the difference between a 24mm bolt and a 8mm hex!? He he
MX-5 1.8 S-VT Sport 1.8 2002/02 Finished in Starlight Silver with matching hardtop

I'm learning.........Slowly!
andymaxwell
Just Run In

Postby andymaxwell » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:10 pm

I have just checked and replaced my newly purchased 1998 1.8 RS 6-speed gear leaver boots. Why...well when I looked, the lower boot did NOT exist!!!!!!! :lol: :evil:
And the upper boot was sha**ed.

Now the geabox feels soooo much better.

But don't do what I did and NOT read this post before I added a litre of oil to the 'turret' Of course it didn't exist. :doh:

On the up side, I don't think the gearbox had any oil in it anyway, and Mazda said an extra litre shouldn't hurt the box too much. :handgestures-thumbup:
------------
1998 Mk2 1.8 6-speed Jap RS
See a Picture

Return to “MK2/2.5 - 1998 > 2000/ 2001 > 2005 (NB)”