What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Cam belt/oil change?

Mickcafc
Regular

Cam belt/oil change?

Postby Mickcafc » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:04 pm

Hi all, I'm having the cam belt/waterpump and whatever else needed done in a couple of weeks, and maybe the 0 ring, does she need an oil change at the same time? I had a change 500 miles or so ago with fully synthetic but I am lead to believe I shouldn't have asked for that anyway. If thats true whats the best oil to get them to use (if she needs it)? Cheers guys, Mick.
Lazza
Site Admin

Re: Cam belt/oil change?

Postby Lazza » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:12 pm

For your Mk1 Wayne usually recommends semi-synth but fully synth is fine. Certainly not worth changing it over now.
For the work you are having done there should be no need to replace the oil.
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
17” OZ Racing Superturissmo wheels (for the toad)
15” Rota Circuit 10 wheels (for track use)
BenF
Epic Poster

Postby BenF » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:51 pm

What he ^ said, but dependent on what the 'whatever else is needed' adds up to. If thats a sump gasket, then it would etc.
Mickcafc
Regular

Postby Mickcafc » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:40 pm

Thanks. Should I use the synthetic next time now I've started or whats the best option?
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:50 pm

You can use whatever you like. Synth, semi & mineral oils are all mineral based anyway so can mix without a problem.
Personally I prefer a good full synth in Mk1s but Wayne disagrees with me :coffee:
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
BenF
Epic Poster

Postby BenF » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:01 pm

Depends on how often you change it buddy - a good full synth I'd run to 10k or two seasons. Semi to 6-7, mineral 3-4k.
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:07 am

^ +1 what Ben said
Mk1 1.6 Turbo. Gaz shocks. Tr Lane roll bar.
Garage Owner, Lincolshire
Helper to the Scunny track day crew and North Linc's Track Day Club.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
binarypunk

Postby binarypunk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:25 am

Get whichever is in 'the sale' at eurocarparts at the time... Last month is was semi for £12/5ltr, this month it is full synth for £13...
The most important thing is to replace it and the filter regularly, on schedule.
Jon - UK Mk1 1.6 1993 Classic Red

Check out my MX5 mods and tools:
http://www.binarypunk.co.uk
Need spares? Go to Autolink!
http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:07 am

Lazza wrote:You can use whatever you like. Synth, semi & mineral oils are all mineral based anyway so can mix without a problem.
Personally I prefer a good full synth in Mk1s but Wayne disagrees with me :coffee:

:laughing-rolling:
The car in standard form was designed to run on semi synth, boosted is a different story which i recommend fully no matter which version, in standared form i would recommend a engine flush ,more so on the MK 1's to keep those tappets nice and clean so you get no build up of used old tacky sticky oil makeing them noisey.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:15 am

Wayne wrote:
Lazza wrote:You can use whatever you like. Synth, semi & mineral oils are all mineral based anyway so can mix without a problem.

The car in standard form was designed to run on semi synth, boosted is a different story which i recommend fully no matter which version, in standared form i would recommend a engine flush ,more so on the MK 1's to keep those tappets nice and clean so you get no build up of used old tacky sticky oil makeing them noisey.
M-m

We do actually agree but in different ways. You prefer semi and an oil flush whereas I prefer full synth which should mean no need for oil flush. I just don't like oil flushes on older engines unless they really need it.
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:09 am

Lazza wrote:
Wayne wrote:

M-m

We do actually agree but in different ways. You prefer semi and an oil flush whereas I prefer full synth which should mean no need for oil flush. I just don't like oil flushes on older engines unless they really need it.

There is no need to do it at every oil change, but when you get one that has not been done for 3 years(oil change) then there is a need for it to be done, once on top of it, then every other service is good like anyifreeze and so on.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
BenF
Epic Poster

Postby BenF » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:12 am

Wayne wrote: ...when you get one that has not been done for 3 years(oil change)

That means YOU, Ian :laughing-rolling:
Speedy
Epic Poster

Postby Speedy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:38 am

BenF wrote:
Wayne wrote: ...when you get one that has not been done for 3 years(oil change)

That means YOU, Ian :laughing-rolling:

My Oil was changed every 1000 miles whether I wanted to or not :laughing-rolling:
1989 Fresh import with 30,000 km, Maruha Four Pot calipers, 270mm disks, Rose jointed drop links, Uprated ARB's, MeisterR CRD Coilovers, Rota wheels, LSD, Zoom console, Maruha Alternator, Jenvey ITB's, Megasquirt ECU
1st Modified Class Bristol OC Spring Rally
2nd Weston Park April 2017
1st 'Modern Classic' Stafford Castle Classic Show July 2018
3rd 'Best Japanese Classic' Tatton Park Aug 18
1st Modified Class Ragley Hall OC National SEP 18
1st Easter show Weston Park 2019
2nd 80's class Newport Easter show 2019

2011 2.0 RC Sport Tech in Aluminium, Smart Top.
Mickcafc
Regular

Postby Mickcafc » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:08 pm

Confused.com here, My old 5 (65000) only does about 1000 miles a year, maybe double that this year if I get her out to Norway. Summer before last had a full service at Sulston hills then about a 1000 miles ago had all the oils changed at MX5parts. So surely she wont need an engine flush or doesnt that have anything to do with changing oil regularly? I just assumed regular changing flushes it. When should I get an oil change next? And should I get a flush? Does oil deteriate when it sits for a year or so with little use? I thought the dearest would be the best. God I have a lot to learn.......cheers guys.
binarypunk

Postby binarypunk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:30 pm

Oils (and most fluids) do indeed deteriorate over time. The service interval on your car is 6k or 1 year whichever comes first. Stick to that and you're fine....even if it has done 1 mile, you should still do the service every 12 months.

If you have HLA rattle (a second or so tappety noise on startup from cold) then you might benefit from a flush, but otherwise and if you change the oil regularly, there is no need.
Jon - UK Mk1 1.6 1993 Classic Red

Check out my MX5 mods and tools:
http://www.binarypunk.co.uk
Need spares? Go to Autolink!
http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/

Return to “MK1 -1989 > 1997 (NA)”