What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Revs....

cjgreaves41
Regular

Revs....

Postby cjgreaves41 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:40 pm

Another Day, another minor issue.

My 1.8 eunos has started to hold revs at about 1500rpm after driving. So pull up at some lights and the revs drop to 750 then climb to 1250-1500rpm for about 7 seconds then drop back down to 750rpm-ish. It's not every time but 9/10.

Not a massive issue more of an annoyance. But I'd prefer it not to do it!

Oddly I didn't notice it until I'd had the cambelt changed last week.

Cheers
BenF
Epic Poster

Re: Revs....

Postby BenF » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:13 pm

sounds like an ICV/ISV to me... ask MM. :-)

sorry- Idle Control Valve / Idle Stabilisation Valve.

could also be an air leak?
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:39 pm

air con switch on? or it's a Air leak or clutch switch? more towards a air leak.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
paggers
Serial Poster

Postby paggers » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:55 pm

If the timing belt was changed then they had the intake piping off. In line with MM's comments first place I would look is to check that everything between the air filter and the intake is properly mounted, sealed and undamaged.

Good luck with getting it sorted.
Niall

1997 1.8i Roadster in Black
- Induction kit, Stainless Exhaust System, Lowered Springs
1998 1.8i S MX-5 in Silver
- Under restoration

Also into taking a few pictures - check out my website.
cjgreaves41
Regular

Postby cjgreaves41 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:41 pm

Hmmm Id assumed air leak. Had a bike engined car that had an air box leak, just used to rev its nuts off.

However why would the revs drop back off to normal idle after afew seconds? Wouldnt it just stay reving??? I will check pipe work and see whats what.

The car has air con, which appears not to work! Sort of havent bothered with it. When you press the button (ON) the revs drop slightly then stablize.
BenF
Epic Poster

Postby BenF » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:52 pm

Because the idle stabilisation systems and emission control/ECU will be trying to correct the idle mate, afaik, most bikes don't have that system
cjgreaves41
Regular

Postby cjgreaves41 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:20 pm

I'll have a look. deffinately only started after the cambelt was done.... There arent any gaskets in between are there?

The bike engined thing we built.... Formula student at uni. Throttle (butterfly) fed directly into the plenum. The carbon plenum we'd built had a slighty crack in it so the engine could suck as much air in as it liked!

Im still fairly convinced carbs are the future!! Will let you now how I get on! Thanks for the help
cjgreaves41
Regular

Postby cjgreaves41 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:58 pm

So buggered about for an hour checking intake pipe etc for leaks. Couldn't find any problems. Don't have any time to sort this before I need to head off in it next week.

After only a month I'm getting a tad annoyed with it. Dropping it off at Roddisons tomorrow. They can keep it until its right! Fairly sure its not their fault just coincidental, but i'm sure they'll fix it!

Also more water (approx' 100ml) has vanished from the expansion tank again!
binarypunk

Postby binarypunk » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:45 am

Definitely sounds like a dodgy connection on the ISC valve to me, as Ben says.
Jon - UK Mk1 1.6 1993 Classic Red

Check out my MX5 mods and tools:
http://www.binarypunk.co.uk
Need spares? Go to Autolink!
http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
cjgreaves41
Regular

Postby cjgreaves41 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:45 pm

Bugger.....

They cant pin it down. I'm going to pull one off the spare car and see whats happens!.... Thought these things were reliable!
BenF
Epic Poster

Postby BenF » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:11 pm

cjgreaves41 wrote:Bugger.....

They cant pin it down. I'm going to pull one off the spare car and see whats happens!.... Thought these things were reliable!

they are... but not as reliable as a vintage Royce :handgestures-thumbup:
paggers
Serial Poster

Postby paggers » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:53 pm

Everything is reliable until it stops working. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.
Niall

1997 1.8i Roadster in Black
- Induction kit, Stainless Exhaust System, Lowered Springs
1998 1.8i S MX-5 in Silver
- Under restoration

Also into taking a few pictures - check out my website.
cjgreaves41
Regular

Postby cjgreaves41 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Ive found an airleak! 4 small holes in the main air feed pipe from MAF to Throttle body, cuase by the theromstat by pass hole clip rubbing on the pipe. Replaced pipe with spare, and moved the clip round, and it now idles great (at 800rpm).

Took it for a drive and warmed it up and still wont return to idle properly! So sitting at junctions for 5 - 10 seconds at 1500rpm.

I Have a spare throttle body with attached idle vavle but am reluctant to change it over as Ive tested the resistance of each and its 12.0 on the spare and 12.5 ohm on the one fitted to the car (both within acceptable rnage accoring to the manual).

If I disconnect the green plug to the idle vavle when the car is idling the revs dont change (800rpm) however there is a slight chnage in engine noise. With the plug connected there is a slight plusing noise (sounds almost like bubbling water) with the plug disconnected this stops.

Obviously if i blip the throttle with the vavle off the engine revs but then drops to almost 0 before returning to idle.

HELP!
binarypunk

Postby binarypunk » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:23 pm

Just because the solenoid's resistance tests ok, the valve could still be coked up. Worth taking it off and cleaning it up as it's a common problem.
Jon - UK Mk1 1.6 1993 Classic Red

Check out my MX5 mods and tools:
http://www.binarypunk.co.uk
Need spares? Go to Autolink!
http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
cjgreaves41
Regular

Postby cjgreaves41 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:19 pm

What's best way to clean it? I've heard carb cleaner can do more harm than good. Any thoughts?

Return to “MK1 -1989 > 1997 (NA)”