What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

S-Ltd - "The Black Lemon"

A place for members to show off their pride and joy. Also room to document your projects.
Lumphammer

Re: S-Ltd - "The Black Lemon"

Postby Lumphammer » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:43 pm

I imagine the repair / strengthening frame rails go over the cut out originals, get plug welded to the existing floor and the strengthening plates are plug welded on the inside of the car. The floor is extremely thin so structurally the plates "close up" the box.

If you look here where I repair my frame rails I think it'll make more sense. My replacement frame rails go under the end pieces like the originals, these I think go over the end pieces

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7585&start=15

3mm will be extremely strong. From memory the originals are 0.7mm

As for the floor to sill panels they aren't trivial to fit and I've not worked out how to do it myself yet. I think the middle floor to sill section gets cut out first giving access to the two ends which are then cut out, replaced and the middle part then replaced on top. Access is from cutting the bottom few inches out of the inner sill. I think, I'm not 100% sure..

I'm using a two part zinc silicate weld through primer (the red stuff) if it doesn't need welding through I'm using a 93% zinc epoxy. Both products are from rust.co.uk - I can't say if they're any good or not because it's the first time I've used them. The frost or upol weld through in a spray can is vastly more convenient, having to mix it up is a pita
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:53 am

Steve from Pro bodyworkz will be popping in to help with directions chaps, Tom as already been in contact with Ste, best fabrication guy in the UK with the cars.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
drumtochty

Postby drumtochty » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:50 pm

The floor rail strentheners have a video on the Lightsuplights down channel where Roy welded some on to his Mk1 with the prototype set of rails. I'm just in for lunch as we are chain sawing a number of trees off someones roof up here in Aberdeenshire. That is firsts priority as the lady lives there on her own and is a bit afaid to say the least.

It has been windy here where we have lived for 46 years and there are just loads of tree down.

Will try to dind the video this evening and post the link
1999 Mk2 Silver
2008 Mk3 Copper Red gone
2018 Mk4 GT+ Red
Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae, Aberdeenshire
graymattor
Regular

Postby graymattor » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:40 pm

Thanks drumtochty, i was skimming through their videos but not found anything as yet, but Ollie at MX5 Restorer has sent me the below, he has been very helpful..

I have attached some photos of the process to give you an idea. This is in a MK1, so will differ slightly if you have a mk2 but its very similar. You can either just spot weld it in the original holes which are drilled out, or you can do that as well as seam weld them too if you would prefer that. They will need seam sealer either way and also zinc priming on both sides to prevent corrosion too. Let me know if you need any more help.

IMG_7007.JPG
IMG_7007.JPG (597.7 KiB) Viewed 3492 times

IMG_7006.JPG
IMG_7006.JPG (635.74 KiB) Viewed 3492 times

IMG_7005.JPG
IMG_7005.JPG (602.99 KiB) Viewed 3492 times

IMG_7003.JPG
IMG_7003.JPG (592.05 KiB) Viewed 3492 times

IMG_7002.JPG
IMG_7002.JPG (590.07 KiB) Viewed 3492 times

end Quote

I bet these photos are from the MK1 you mentioned, i will keep looking to see if i can find the video :handgestures-thumbup: but these have helped a lot, i can visualise exactly what needs doing and they look pretty damn good when fitted, should and plenty of strength

Keep up the good work, it sounds like the weather is giving you quite the battering at the moment
S-Ltd - Ongoing project, far from standard!
J-Ltd - (Mrs's) - New project, staying standard (ish)
drumtochty

Postby drumtochty » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:01 pm

Sorry for coming back late with the link but I found the clip of the installation of the prototype replacement rails to Roy's own Mk1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsFqJVKGZns
1999 Mk2 Silver
2008 Mk3 Copper Red gone
2018 Mk4 GT+ Red
drumtochty

Postby drumtochty » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:50 pm

This is the reason for being away for a few days.

Lucky that the tree was an evergreen as it was cushioned as it hit the roof only a couple of ridge tiles cracked .

We spen three days to remove it in small pieces and in a safe manner.

It was not me on the roof.

Gavin Up On Cottage Roof Cutting Tree smaller file size.jpg
Gavin Up On Cottage Roof Cutting Tree smaller file size.jpg (637.26 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
1999 Mk2 Silver
2008 Mk3 Copper Red gone
2018 Mk4 GT+ Red
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:01 pm

A bit of windblown timber, I remember tackling it years ago as a whipper snapper forester.

Pleased you clarified that it wasnt you on the roof and that in fact they were on a roof as at first glance I thought otherwise.

Waiting for the next installment in "The Black Lemon"
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:45 pm

Are you branching out into another thread or am I barking up the wrong tree ..
Sorry I'll leaf it alone.
I'll get my coat.
M-m
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
graymattor
Regular

Postby graymattor » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:14 pm

Sorry to disappoint but no real update this weekend.

Im trying to balance house renovation with the unexpected MX5 surgery, time is not on my side!!

All i managed to do was:
- Paint up the calipers, these are ready for a full rebuild now
- removed the passenger door, take the seat out and generally tidy up, so i now have two doors in my garage roof, a full ready subframe (and the rest of the car) in the attic - how can such a small car have so many parts!!
- i went to do some more grinding but cant find my grinder D nut ffs! so that stopped that! so i fitted the angry wire wheel of death and went to remove some underseal to see how the floor looked and well its rusty on the inside as seen in previous posts but the outside isn't bad, the front drivers jacking point doesn't look bad at all, so i am not sure whether to treat it or replace it! the rear is absolutely shot! removing underseal laid on your back is bloody hard work, ill have arms like Arnie by the time i'm done!!!
- i have started making my door braces, they will be the same as Lumphammers but ill be using pipe instead of box but without a grinder i couldn't make these.
- i fired up the welder, fitted the 0.6mm wire and its working lovely, can get a nice weld so spot welding wont be an issue, what white are you guys using, is 0.6mm sufficient? i also got no juddering on the wire feed, but i am using a 5kg reel, may the 25kg of 0.8 i was using was a bit heavy and it wasn't rotating smoothly, i'm not sure, unless i didn't get it located on the spigot right (just thought of that now so i didn't check) and it was rotating on one of the slots which would make sense

It looks like i have some work to do on the main drivers floor, it looks as though some daft person has tried jacking on teh floor, its bent in and looks awful! no idea how ill straighten it out but i wont be leaving it like that!

Sorry no photos, we have been without the internet since the 25th Jan so i have to leave my phone in the house as a hotspot!
graymattor
Regular

Postby graymattor » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:34 pm

drumtochty wrote:Sorry for coming back late with the link but I found the clip of the installation of the prototype replacement rails to Roy's own Mk1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsFqJVKGZns

Thanks for the link drumtochty, i hope you managed to clear everything safely and OK
graymattor
Regular

Postby graymattor » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:40 pm

Trying to plod on, but the more I do, the more holes I find, im really struggling, I'm out my depth with all this to be honest.. cutting things out is easy, putting back in is a nightmare! And that's the replacement panels, I need to some how make the rear inner sill section and replace jacking points some how!!

I think I'm a lot overwhelmed!! There is rust everywhere I look!!!

I want to do it but at the same time I just want to conceded and give in, sell all the parts I have and buy something I can enjoy car or bike (want to do my bike licence)

Just not sure, scared of doing all this and ending up unhappy with the results!

I'
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:32 pm

Look there is no rush, take your time , no master pieces were done over night...I have five builds on the go.. personally...3 need to be finished for summer for sale and the others are mine for me which are taking a backe burner to be finished this year..I am also looking for a white MK1 to restore for the daughter and a 1.8 project MK1 for a build in my head I want to see in the flesh...
It all takes time.
See this as a kick up the ar*e to motivate, finish stripping , make a plan ,you have achieved the hardest bit of strating, that gates open now to start climbing that hill, rebuilding is the trip back down...you can do it....make a good solid list to work through.
M-m

blackyb

Postby blackyb » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:49 pm

Your skill levels already way above mine.

The work you have done so far shows determination to find a work around and the results have been impressive.

Seems a shame to throw in the towel but I get how you feel, one step forward three steps back.

Take a bit of time out, go get that bike licence so you have achieved a goal, then get back in the boiler suit and tackle the rest with a clear head and a bike that you can jump on to ease the stress.

I used to have really crap days at work, but the ride home on the bike after a shift was better than anything anyone could have prescribed.
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
graymattor
Regular

Postby graymattor » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:14 pm

Mazda Mender wrote:Look there is no rush, take your time , no master pieces were done over night...I have five builds on the go.. personally...3 need to be finished for summer for sale and the others are mine for me which are taking a backe burner to be finished this year..I am also looking for a white MK1 to restore for the daughter and a 1.8 project MK1 for a build in my head I want to see in the flesh...
It all takes time.
See this as a kick up the ar*e to motivate, finish stripping , make a plan ,you have achieved the hardest bit of strating, that gates open now to start climbing that hill, rebuilding is the trip back down...you can do it....make a good solid list to work through.
M-m

Thanks M-M, I can handle some projects but this is getting way out of hand now!! I've had the car 5 years now, bought it at a high price because it was from a collector who I trusted, ive driven it 10 miles and it was awful due to the front suspension leg being bent, I started the project at that point, I've easily put ÂŁ3000 if not more in to it, (some I haven't got yet like custom seats and interior) and all the car wants to do is die and go to the scrap yard, no matter what I try and do I just bloody make things worse, after all these years I'm ready for giving up and getting it out my life, it's always there reminding me of the mistake in buying it and the mistake in me thinking I can sort this out!!!! Im having sh*t at work, then spend all weekend getting no where and getting sh*t from the bloody car!! Yes I want to do it, but more from the fact I want something nice that I can enjoy, its just not a hobby or fun its gone past that, I'd happily cut this bit in between out!!!!

blackyb wrote:Your skill levels already way above mine.

The work you have done so far shows determination to find a work around and the results have been impressive.

Seems a shame to throw in the towel but I get how you feel, one step forward three steps back.

Take a bit of time out, go get that bike licence so you have achieved a goal, then get back in the boiler suit and tackle the rest with a clear head and a bike that you can jump on to ease the stress.

I used to have really crap days at work, but the ride home on the bike after a shift was better than anything anyone could have prescribed.

Thanks BlackyB, unfortunately it doesn't feel or look that was from my perspective!
Yes very much, one step forward and three back, but more like none forward and 5 back every day I'm on it!
I started the road to my motorcycle licence late last year, CBT and Theory done, just waiting for better weather to start lessons , I do have a Cagiva Raptor 125 project (everything is a project because I can't afford good and decent! House bike, cars :roll: ) bikes are definitely easier to work on, etc than cars! So will see, this car has taken a chunk of the savings I was using for lessons, but im not doing anything bike wise until its better weather so a bit of time yet

Honestly after seeing the mistake in the garage for 5 years, I dont know how much more time I really want to give it! I feel like all these years it's just sucking any interest or enthusiasm right out of me! Almost as though it doesn't want me touching it and wants to rot in peace!!
graymattor
Regular

Postby graymattor » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:28 pm

Well may as well throw some pics up!!!

20220213_182608.jpg
20220213_182608.jpg (323.5 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

20220213_182556.jpg
20220213_182556.jpg (400.08 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

20220213_182523.jpg
20220213_182523.jpg (334.11 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

20220213_182443.jpg
20220213_182443.jpg (332.32 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

20220213_182428.jpg
20220213_182428.jpg (388.87 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

20220213_182412.jpg
20220213_182412.jpg (390.44 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

20220213_182401.jpg
20220213_182401.jpg (403.35 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

20220212_194600.jpg
20220212_194600.jpg (340.77 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

20220212_194550.jpg
20220212_194550.jpg (437.92 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

20220212_194524.jpg
20220212_194524.jpg (312.69 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

20220212_194517.jpg
20220212_194517.jpg (316.04 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

20220212_194428.jpg
20220212_194428.jpg (289.36 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

20220212_194436.jpg
20220212_194436.jpg (334.37 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

20220212_194418.jpg
20220212_194418.jpg (305.73 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

20220212_194409.jpg
20220212_194409.jpg (285.74 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

20220212_194346.jpg
20220212_194346.jpg (346.19 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

20220212_194331.jpg
20220212_194331.jpg (281.21 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

20220212_194323.jpg
20220212_194323.jpg (273.09 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

20220212_193811.jpg
20220212_193811.jpg (326.1 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

Return to “Members Mx-5/ Roadsters”