What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

1995 G-Limited ***RESTORATION***Rebuild

A place for members to show off their pride and joy. Also room to document your projects.
Lumphammer

1995 G-Limited ***RESTORATION***Rebuild

Postby Lumphammer » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:50 pm

This is my 1995 1.8 G-Limited, it was converted to a track car by the previous owner and then has sat idle for several years.

It's got no rust at all but suffered some bad damage to the frame rails, I assume from speed humps and the usual gunk and detritus from being sat outside.

I'm taking it apart and fixing the things that need fixing, taking out as much weight as sensible with the intention of it being a project track car. It will have to be road legal to get it about but I don't intend to drive it on the road otherwise.

This is a learning experience for me as I've not done a lot of the bigger things only basic servicing and repair.

Car.jpg
Car.jpg (402.87 KiB) Viewed 16162 times

I started at the front at the start of December taking stuff out and cleaning - it was festooned with rodent s**t and god knows what

bay.jpg
bay.jpg (474.43 KiB) Viewed 16162 times

The cooling system was full of cheese :doh:

cheese.jpg
cheese.jpg (499.04 KiB) Viewed 16162 times

Everything up top looks very clean tho

cams.jpg
cams.jpg (516.14 KiB) Viewed 16162 times

Pulled the engine - first time I've taken an engine out. I got a nice second hand crane on the bay for Ā£80ish plus delivery. I separated it from the gearbox because i was tight on space and it was p***ing it down outside.

eng_lift.jpg
eng_lift.jpg (444.29 KiB) Viewed 16162 times

eng_up.jpg
eng_up.jpg (465.26 KiB) Viewed 16162 times

I struggled to find the M12 fine bolts to hold it on the stand so I got a die and made some studs from 12mm bar with fine on one side and coarse on the other so I can support it just on the block allowing the pan to come away later.

eng_stand.jpg
eng_stand.jpg (495.63 KiB) Viewed 16162 times

The previous owner had de-powered the rack but not plugged any holes, I wasn't sure what s**t had got in there so i took it apart and cleaned in paraffin.

rack_parts.jpg
rack_parts.jpg (486.51 KiB) Viewed 16162 times

While it was apart I removed the hydraulic parts following a guide I saw on the carpassion YouTube channel. I wanted to plug the hydrauilc lines without using silicone etc so I've bought some M16 x 1.5 hex plugs and M12 x 1.0 brake pipe male fittings will be drilled and tapped to take a plugging machine screw (probably M6, will see when they arrive).

Front sub frame removed, degreased and pressure washed - amazing condition!! Will be wire mopped and painted in black POR15 (I like this stuff, I used it a couple of years ago on my Mk2.5 wishbones)

front_sf.jpg
front_sf.jpg (547.26 KiB) Viewed 16162 times

front_sf_bottom.jpg
front_sf_bottom.jpg (541.37 KiB) Viewed 16162 times

Front of the car is looking empty, I'll be pulling the loom back and then repainting the engine bay - same colour just want to fix some surface rust and tidy a bit.

bay_clear.jpg
bay_clear.jpg (562.78 KiB) Viewed 16162 times

Moving backwards (the PPF is a pain in the backside to get off!!) - I think this car is supposed to have a Torsen LSD, will find out for sure when the diff comes out

diff.jpg
diff.jpg (507.08 KiB) Viewed 16162 times

When i've got all the weight out I need to rotate the car on it's side and fix the frame rails, the picture makes them look better than they are

frame_rails.jpg
frame_rails.jpg (380.46 KiB) Viewed 16162 times

I think that with everything removed (interior, boot, doors etc) the shell should be around 250kg so i'll either make or buy a basic rotisserie jig, but for the moment I'm continue working backwards and start on the rear suspension and subframe next. I've got some bits to shot blast too.

This is pretty basic compared to other projects on here but I thought I'd share my project. If it sounds like I don't know what I'm doing it's because I don't - apart from YouTube and the things Wayne and others have helped me with :-D

Tom
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Re: 1995 G-Limited Rebuild

Postby Mazda Mender » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:55 pm

:text-coolphotos: :text-goodpost: :bow-yellow: :handgestures-thumbup: :coffee:
Keep it coming Tom.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
DavesBRG5

Postby DavesBRG5 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:06 am

:text-goodpost: Good work Sir :text-coolphotos:

That garage looks huge compared to mine. I can just about open the car door enough to squeeze in & out & i`m built like Mr Puniverse :lol:
DAVE

1992 1.6 BRG V-Spec - 2003 MK2.5 Sport - 1992 ROADSTER 1.6.
GlennyGills

Postby GlennyGills » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:56 pm

Excellent project work going on there.
'96 Gleneagles MeisterR Coilovers - engine bling stainless mx5parts full exhaust
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:10 pm

Good write up with supporting pictures, keep it up.

Makes my double garage look small, that said theres a Passat GT estate and a Honda Blackbird in there as well as the little red un and a number of tool chests.

Will be following this thread.
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:32 pm

Thanks for the comments :-D

The garage is nice, about as big as I could get away with. I did labouring on the foundations and the boarding / inner structure / electrics / door, my friends did the harder part of the blockwork and roof. The back rooms got machine tools in it and the front bit is for the car.

I took off the rear stuff today. I realise i messed up because I didn't crack the hub nuts while i could so punched back the tangs and took off the half shafts and hub as one lot. My friend has a powerful rattle gun, hopefully he can get the hub nuts off for me

rear_wish_off.jpg
rear_wish_off.jpg (480.52 KiB) Viewed 16126 times

I had an absoloute sod with this, I think the only way the lower rear bolt could be so bent was if the car had been pulled out of a ditch or something on it. No real rust just really bent!!

bent_bolt.jpg
bent_bolt.jpg (386.04 KiB) Viewed 16126 times

But this is the highlight of the evening, pretty sure this is a Torsen...?

splines_diff.jpg
splines_diff.jpg (357.72 KiB) Viewed 16126 times

Hoping to get the rear subframe off tomorrow

Tom
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:24 pm

I've been shotblasting and painting parts in POR15 for the past few weeks, the majority of the underside is done. Most evenings...

painting.jpg
painting.jpg (485.41 KiB) Viewed 15881 times

All of the car is now stripped, only the windscreen left - the rotisserie should arrive this week to allow the frame rails to be fixed. Made a contraption to get in into the right position for the jig.

car_on_wood.jpg
car_on_wood.jpg (456.42 KiB) Viewed 15881 times

car_on_wood2.jpg
car_on_wood2.jpg (501.38 KiB) Viewed 15881 times

I've cleaned up all the fasteners, going to take them to the platers this week maybe. They charge min rate of Ā£45 for quite a lot of stuff so want to get it all done in one go. Front and rear fasters:

front_fasteners.jpg
front_fasteners.jpg (510.73 KiB) Viewed 15881 times

rear_fasteners.jpg
rear_fasteners.jpg (499.8 KiB) Viewed 15881 times

I took apart and rebuilt the shifter assembly - the insides were full of this rancid oily paste, thought I should clean it all out and start fresh.

shifter_a.jpg
shifter_a.jpg (424.42 KiB) Viewed 15881 times

shifter_b.jpg
shifter_b.jpg (436.22 KiB) Viewed 15881 times

I finished the plugs for the rack, bought some cheap male brake line fittings, machined a bit off and plugged with an M6 grub. The supply lines were plugged with off the shelf hydraulic plugs.

rack_plugs_a.jpg
rack_plugs_a.jpg (353.15 KiB) Viewed 15881 times

rack_plugged.jpg
rack_plugged.jpg (468.14 KiB) Viewed 15881 times

I got a really good price on a set of Mk2.5 Big Brakes on eBay, arrived looking like they'd spent a few decades in the everglades but they freed up alright. Bought a Frentech rebuild kit with new pistons and seals and I'm part way through shotblasting the calipers and carriers.

Waiting on the rotisserie to arrive for the moment. Should hopefully get the big brakes rebuilt this next week too

Tom
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:33 pm

Why the so called large sports brakes'...they are nothing but hassle and not as longer lasting and reliable as the standard 1.8 units already on the roadster...
Love the frame ...
M-m
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:46 pm

It's a fair point, my road car has them from factory and they do sieze a slider pin every couple of years. This one won't be out in the elements all year round, it's a summertime track car and I expect I'll be giving the brakes more servicing than a road car in any case. If I don't get on with them I can always swap back :-)

Tom
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:33 am

:text-goodpost: Very good write up. Please keep us all updated. :text-coolphotos:
1996 Mk1 Classic Red 1.6 sorted
1995 Mk 1 White 1.6 in need of TLC
2015 Mk1 1.8 Exocet Mk1 on steroids
Natehd9
Regular

Postby Natehd9 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:51 pm

Nice work, you're in a similar position to me (albeit seemingly you're cracking on much quicker than I am!)

What's your plan with the frame rails? I bought 2 bits of 2mm mild plate from Metals4U (measure 820x210mm if you needed to know!) and then stuck them through the sheet bender at work, yet to cut the old ones off to replace, but slid over the top of the originals which received a serious hammering and they're the right size! The only downside is delivery cost as much as the material, I should have bought some 0.8/1mm plate for making blanks to clean up holes in the engine bay really...
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:26 pm

Similar to yourself in constuction but my friend advised me to go for 1.6mm sheet as opposed to the 2mm I was going to use. I'm going to put a few 20mm holes in the underside for drainage. I'm holding off making them until I get the car on its side but my plan is to drill out the gazillion spot welds in the bashed rails, cut a few slots and pry out. Then drill the repair sections for plug welds into the floor and the strengthening sections at the end. Probably put a few small holes with M4 nuts / screws to pull it in together for welding.

I think I'll have a job getting the floor near straight. I think I'm going to have to work a lot of this out on the job!!

Just seen you thread :-)

Tom
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:08 pm

Had a few days machining spacers and stuff to mount the rotisserie to the car - made them out of alu, have a lot of it around from offcuts accumulated over the years.

Ended up using 3 of the M6 bumper mounts on each side to a plate. Would have prefered larger but it seems to be ok. The rears are really easy, there's big 10mm holes everywhere.

Rotisserie_0.jpg
Rotisserie_0.jpg (502.55 KiB) Viewed 15603 times

Used a engine crane a lot to slowly walk the car upwars to the rotisserie mounting height, took ages but nothing broke so I'm happy with it

Rotisserie_0-1.jpg
Rotisserie_0-1.jpg (515.2 KiB) Viewed 15603 times

Seems to hold alright, quite solid

Rotisserie_1.jpg
Rotisserie_1.jpg (480.71 KiB) Viewed 15603 times

Rotisserie_2.jpg
Rotisserie_2.jpg (453.88 KiB) Viewed 15603 times

Best start chopping and learning how to weld now :???:

Tom
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:17 pm

:text-goodpost: :text-coolphotos: :bow-yellow: :bow-yellow: :handgestures-thumbup: :coffee:
M-m

blackyb

Postby blackyb » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:48 pm

Love the approach work etc.

Wish I had the space and time.

Got my eye on another mk1 that needs a good tidy up and would be the ideal starter project for me in my planned retirement in the very near future.

It will be my second retirement tho, first one lasted six weeks ?
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!

Return to ā€œMembers Mx-5/ Roadstersā€