What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

1995 G-Limited ***RESTORATION***Rebuild

A place for members to show off their pride and joy. Also room to document your projects.
Lumphammer

Re: 1995 G-Limited ***RESTORATION***Rebuild

Postby Lumphammer » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:34 pm

Took the box of steel bits to the platers this lunchtime, looking forward to getting it back

Fixed the front sidelight / indicators, the sidelight bulb holders had both snapped to bits and someone had kindly superglued one side back in :roll:

Did as per Waynes guide here:

viewtopic.php?t=6580

lights.jpg
lights.jpg (457.41 KiB) Viewed 7160 times

Two layers of adhesive loaded heatshrink and all good. I used some Turtle Wax glass polish that'd been kicking round for ages and it's made them look great
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:48 pm

:text-goodpost: :handgestures-thumbup: :-D :coffee:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:00 pm

Got the second lot of bits back from the platers, lots of shiny things

plated.jpg
plated.jpg (555.97 KiB) Viewed 7072 times

Including the mythical, heard of but never before witnessed - non-rusted wing mirror fasteners :-D

plated_things.jpg
plated_things.jpg (479.1 KiB) Viewed 7072 times

Now just got a 1000 piece jigsaw to do :confusion-confused:
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:43 pm

Got the front subframe, tank, handbrake cables, rear subframe and steering rack back in today, messed around with the fuel and brake lines too. The doors / wings / bumper are back on with the final plated fasteners

front.jpg
front.jpg (441.74 KiB) Viewed 7049 times

rear.jpg
rear.jpg (430.74 KiB) Viewed 7049 times

I don't know why but this amuses me with it's "goldness" :lol:

shiny_thing.jpg
shiny_thing.jpg (490.91 KiB) Viewed 7049 times
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:09 pm

:text-goodpost: :text-coolphotos: :handgestures-thumbup: :-D :handgestures-thumbup:
M-m
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:44 pm

Had a day faffing around working out where parts go and what's broken or missing

When I got the mudflaps from the car being broken I took off the old clips, they'd all sheared and were pretty much junk

knackered.jpg
knackered.jpg (409.44 KiB) Viewed 7026 times

Pressed out the old nuts and sheared bits

bits.jpg
bits.jpg (480.06 KiB) Viewed 7026 times

Used a heatgun to heat up new M5 nuts on the end of a bit of bar then pushed them in when they were hot enough melting a new hole

thing.jpg
thing.jpg (448.18 KiB) Viewed 7026 times

They come out alright, saved about £20, did 8 all together

done.jpg
done.jpg (412.58 KiB) Viewed 7026 times

Used non standard screws, had some wide shallow head ones in the lucky dip box that fit well

rear.jpg
rear.jpg (331.24 KiB) Viewed 7026 times

Got braces on and in the right place for probably the first time since it left Japan

front.jpg
front.jpg (325.4 KiB) Viewed 7026 times
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:56 pm

Got the door glass and electric window in this evening, cleaned out the tracks and greased / lubricated the cable. The door rubbers with the exception of the doow to window seal were in good condition so they went back on fine, i need to buy a pair of the door to window seals at some point.

Run it up and down off a 12v battery and it's really smooth - and fast! :-D

os_door_window.jpg
os_door_window.jpg (417.89 KiB) Viewed 7008 times

The lock mechanism was full of 25 years of filth and caked grease. A lot of it is a pressed part so was hard to clean. I used engine degreaser in a tub with a paintbrush to get in all the bits, then took it inside and cleaned it in hot water with Lidl all purpose cleaner before rinsing in hot water. Once it's dried overnight i'll grease it up and hopefully get it back on tomorrow evening

lock.jpg
lock.jpg (428.01 KiB) Viewed 7008 times
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:01 pm

Done the rear hubs, one had a bad rear bearing and thought both should be done, it wasn't too hard - I used my friends hydraulic press to put it back together

Taking apart, removed old rear crud seals

hub0.jpg
hub0.jpg (371.51 KiB) Viewed 6569 times

Supporting the carrier, used a hammer to knock out the old hub

hub1.jpg
hub1.jpg (370.8 KiB) Viewed 6569 times

Leaves half the inner race on the hub shaft

hub2.jpg
hub2.jpg (442.03 KiB) Viewed 6569 times

Remove circlip

hub3.jpg
hub3.jpg (450.14 KiB) Viewed 6569 times

I forgot to take a picture of this, but supported the hub face down and hit out the old bearing, no longer retained by the circlip

Then used big chisel to carefully knock off the old shield, moving it around. Both came out completely undamaged

hub4.jpg
hub4.jpg (456.91 KiB) Viewed 6569 times

Disassembled carrier

hub5.jpg
hub5.jpg (550.76 KiB) Viewed 6569 times

Used a knackered woodworking chisel with a good point to open up a gap between the inner race and the hub so could get the pullers behind it

hub6.jpg
hub6.jpg (451.3 KiB) Viewed 6569 times

Degreased, wire mopped and alcohol clean before using metal prep and three coats of POR15. The bushes were in very good condition so i've left them in, if they need replacing at a later date they're not too hard to get out. Pressed on the new NB big brake heat shields (I can sense Waynes disagreement as I write this :lol: ).

hub7.jpg
hub7.jpg (488.87 KiB) Viewed 6569 times

Need to put the new rear crud seals in before the assembling but otherwise the read hubs are done.

The boss for the original Momo wheel was seized solid, no amount of jiggling, rocking and pulling was shifting it so made a Momo boss puller

momo0.jpg
momo0.jpg (504.09 KiB) Viewed 6569 times

momo1.jpg
momo1.jpg (447.45 KiB) Viewed 6569 times

Worked good, came off with a "pop" after a surprising amount of tightening!

momo2.jpg
momo2.jpg (523.09 KiB) Viewed 6569 times

Rebuilt the front suspension, lots of copper grease on everything. Replaced the dust boots on the upper and lower ball joints, they hadn't gone but did look aged. Repleced the track rod ends, they were OK but the threads were sketchy and after considering it felt it wasn't worth not doing. Big brake heat shields (sorry again Wayne).

ns_front.jpg
ns_front.jpg (398.75 KiB) Viewed 6569 times

Going to reuse the existing front hubs, there's nothing wrong with them and if they do go they're very easy to change.

os_front.jpg
os_front.jpg (388.24 KiB) Viewed 6569 times

Machined a pair of spacers for the roll bar which the harnesses attach to. It always bugged me that you're supposed to use a stack of the standard spacers on top of the tower - I'm sure it works but it doesn't feel right. I think the previous owner had used too many in any case - it used to have zero clearence to the hardtop. Machined these from stainless, 11.5mm bore to give nice clearance on the 7/16th UNF standard top bolt

space0.jpg
space0.jpg (224.79 KiB) Viewed 6569 times

No gap underneath bolt obviously not tight yet tho

space1.jpg
space1.jpg (359.52 KiB) Viewed 6569 times

Roll bar repainted in nice gloss black. Plumbed in the fuel tank and vent line

space2.jpg
space2.jpg (472.18 KiB) Viewed 6569 times
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:46 pm

Done a bit over the past couple of weeks, finished the hubs with the crud seal at the back

hub.jpg
hub.jpg (505.99 KiB) Viewed 6371 times

Reassembled both corners, haven't done it tight because i'll swing the hubs down to put the half shafts in when the diffs rebuilt

rear_corner.jpg
rear_corner.jpg (428.57 KiB) Viewed 6371 times

Reassembled the light mechanisms. I think one of the motors had a problem but i'll have a look at it when the electrical system is working

eyes.jpg
eyes.jpg (481.13 KiB) Viewed 6371 times

Fuel tank and all the bits, somewhere in here is the second filler hose clip - hopefully it'll turn up some time...

fuel.jpg
fuel.jpg (455.64 KiB) Viewed 6371 times

Filler cap, gave it a good polish in the hole before assembly :-D

filler.jpg
filler.jpg (441.03 KiB) Viewed 6371 times

Decided to put the heater back in. I was a bit unsure about whether I wanted it but can always take out again afterwards. No AC, it was buggered and 3/4's missing and personally I don't think it suits MX5's

The foam was rancid and mostly crumbling to dust, scraped and cleaned it off and used contact adhesive to affix the lowest density stuff i could find. It's closed cell not open but should be vastly better than what was or wasn't there before

heater_01.jpg
heater_01.jpg (447.64 KiB) Viewed 6371 times

In place (i think, i might have moved some of these round)

heater_02.jpg
heater_02.jpg (405.22 KiB) Viewed 6371 times

I polished the pipes. No idea why.

heater_03.jpg
heater_03.jpg (378.39 KiB) Viewed 6371 times

heater_04.jpg
heater_04.jpg (366.91 KiB) Viewed 6371 times

New outer seals made from two layers of 12mm open cell foam strip and connected up to the blower using a non-AC bypass pipe

heater_05.jpg
heater_05.jpg (443.4 KiB) Viewed 6371 times

For the money it cost (about £15 all in) I think it's definitely worth rebuilding the heater. The amount of filth that comes out is mental.

The electric window switch was miles too short, the previous owner had wired it onto the tombstone - I think there might have been another cable in between previously. I cut and soldered in an extension, two layers of heat shrink, fits alright now

switch.jpg
switch.jpg (407.13 KiB) Viewed 6371 times

Seats back in for hopefully the last time. Cleaned them up with a hoover and wash down and then a load of spray dye, the almost white fading is much better. Would have preferred a jet black finish but it's a lot better than it was. Carpet back in and tucked under the rollbar, that was a feat and a half!! :-D

seats_01.jpg
seats_01.jpg (430.53 KiB) Viewed 6371 times

seats_02.jpg
seats_02.jpg (460.27 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:07 pm

:text-coolphotos: :text-goodpost: :handgestures-thumbup: :coffee: :-D
M-m

GlennyGills

Postby GlennyGills » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:43 pm

:handgestures-thumbup: looking good
'96 Gleneagles MeisterR Coilovers - engine bling stainless mx5parts full exhaust
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:47 pm

Garage and skills envy over here on the coast.
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
GlennyGills

Postby GlennyGills » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:54 pm

blackyb wrote:Garage and skills envy over here on the coast.

Coast envy here in the town :teasing-neener:
'96 Gleneagles MeisterR Coilovers - engine bling stainless mx5parts full exhaust
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:34 pm

Did a bit on the electrics today, connected up a spare battery and most things seem to work - which is nice

I repainted the wipers in the week and rebuilt the motor (cleaned out old grease, new grease, repainted motor casing and the bracket thing)

wiper.jpg
wiper.jpg (269.74 KiB) Viewed 6188 times

Got the roof back on earlier on - followed Waynes guide for replacing the edge strip with a new one from autolink

roof.jpg
roof.jpg (474.35 KiB) Viewed 6188 times

Lights, pop up motors, indicators etc work

Lights_front.jpg
Lights_front.jpg (457.56 KiB) Viewed 6188 times

High level boot light isn't working, not sure, bulb might have gone

lights_rear.jpg
lights_rear.jpg (412.25 KiB) Viewed 6188 times

Checked the backlash on the diff in four places, most were a shade under 4 thou, the worst was a shade over 4 thou. It's in spec so I'm calling it good.

diff_backlash.jpg
diff_backlash.jpg (431.75 KiB) Viewed 6188 times

I considered rebuilding it but I really don't think there's much point. I might do in the future but for now it's just getting new half-shaft seals.

Since I'd bought it in preparedness I measured the tower splay, 7.302andabit which would be fine if it were new, although not really relevant at this point. Got the big 8" mic on eBay for £30 - bargain :-D

diff_towersplay.jpg
diff_towersplay.jpg (471.52 KiB) Viewed 6188 times

I need to decide what I'm doing with the engine, it's on the stand so it'd make sense to strip it back and have rehoned, fit new parts etc but I really need to start work on the other car soon before the mot runs out in under two months :think:
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:55 pm

Finished putting the diff together, haven't put the half shaft seals in yet will do that and get it on the car next week hopefully

diff.jpg
diff.jpg (454.13 KiB) Viewed 6063 times

Started on the 6 speed. Bought it secondhand - reportedly 68k miles, no idea but it seems to be believable.

6speed_01.jpg
6speed_01.jpg (493.76 KiB) Viewed 6063 times

Took the shifter to bits, the lower boot was shot. Might as well replace the lower nylon cup - i had a spare one from buying the wrong thing years ago

Polished the pivot and end ball - no idea why. I got some Farecla G10 and i've been getting carried away... :-D

polished_shifter.jpg
polished_shifter.jpg (406.24 KiB) Viewed 6063 times

Machined a plug for the propshaft to help with cleaning, keep all the gunk out of there

plastic_plug.jpg
plastic_plug.jpg (386.93 KiB) Viewed 6063 times

I tried using this stuff - it works alright, not sure what's in it but it smells like the main ingredient is hydrochloric acid. Certainly strips anything zinc plated, good job it's getting painted

ali-clean.jpg
ali-clean.jpg (351.75 KiB) Viewed 6063 times

Degrease, ali-clean, water, ali-clean, water

cleaned_6speed.jpg
cleaned_6speed.jpg (614.86 KiB) Viewed 6063 times

When it'd dried painted it with several coats of high temp silver. The paint self etches but being mostly acid the ali-clean had etched it pretty well to start with

paint6speed01.jpg
paint6speed01.jpg (438.22 KiB) Viewed 6063 times

paint6speed02.jpg
paint6speed02.jpg (468.89 KiB) Viewed 6063 times

Will put the shifter and the sensors back together tomorrow

Return to “Members Mx-5/ Roadsters”