What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

2003 Nevada

A place for members to show off their pride and joy. Also room to document your projects.
zeolite
Regular

Re: 2003 Nevada

Postby zeolite » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:29 pm

Some more action shots

Imagesaltire-4 by Ian X, on Flickr

ImageSaltire-Pylon by Ian X, on Flickr
zeolite
Regular

Postby zeolite » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:33 pm

Once Dad started on the front end he didn't know when to stop!

ImageIMG_0687[1] by Ian X, on Flickr

We needed to take the front bumper off to fit a grill and there was some rust patches on the towing eyes that was annoying me. The bumper needs some TLC as well as it seems to have collected scratches and chips but I am reluctant to fix those because no doubt it will get scratched again when Dad clouts some more cones.

Window shopping for shocks.
zeolite
Regular

Postby zeolite » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:24 pm

I am afraid the Nevada got turfed out of its comfy garage to let my rumbling 217k mile BMW 330d in. For some reason and I have yet to establish why the driver side rear caliper had worn down the outside pads to the metal and not use anything on the inside! As the caliper just has the 2 slide pins/bolts and can't see how that can happen. Anyway I had to replace the disc as it had been damaged.
The Bar Steward fought us every single nut, bolt and spring! We couldn't get the caliper carrier bolts out and when we damaged the bolt heads putting silly force on them we ended up cutting the carrier off, removing the disc and drilling the bolts out from the front. That was a nightmare of a job but Dad got it done and blunted 6 drills in the process.
ImageBMW calipers by Ian X

ImageBolts by Ian X

Note how he got the hole right down the middle of the bolt! I think he ended up using a carbide burr when he ran out of HSS drills. Anyone know of a source of cheap carbide drills?

The backplate had rotted away and the shoes had got loose so they were damaged when we got the disc off so I had to order some more. Hopefully reassembly will be much more straightforward than the strip down.
The moral of the tale is to strip your brakes every year to avoid these issues. i have only had the car since september so I am still working on other peopes laziness.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:09 am

The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
zeolite
Regular

Postby zeolite » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:09 pm

No MX5 updates because the 330d is still hogging the garage! I bought a bunch of parts that don't fit but ebay said that they did. hopefully I can get a new caliper carrier in the next day or two and drive that sucker out!

That article that M-M has is pretty much spot on and it applies to all car brakes

Next job is new discs for the Nevada and handbrake adjustment.
zeolite
Regular

Postby zeolite » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:09 pm

Got the 330d out on the road with half a handbrake as the replacement backplate was taking too long and I needed the car for my new job. To be honest I could have used the MX5 as the weather here in East Scotland has been perfect for topless motoring. While I have been training for my new career Dad fitted new rear discs and got a new set of tyres for his newly painted 15" wheels. He got a deal on 195/50/15 Toyo Proxes. They look the biz on the newly painted and laquered wheels.

ImageNew boot on newly painted wheel? by Ian X

Handbrake is still not where we want it. Seems to work well off the ground but lacks the sharpness when on the ground. Any tips?

Hydraulic handbrake is next on the list of things to do as it is essential for the type of events that are going to be planned.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:41 pm

How are you setting the handbrake?
M-m
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
zeolite
Regular

Postby zeolite » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:53 pm

Haven't got back to it yet. I may get at It tomorrow
zeolite
Regular

Postby zeolite » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:34 am

New job has been taking all my time so no updates that involved me. Dad has replaced the rear brakes and pads and I took the car out for a wee test run. The handbrake worked fine when I spun it round.
Autosolo next Sunday!
zeolite
Regular

Postby zeolite » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:04 pm

I have been way too busy to get back at the Nevada. I have changed jobs again and I will be working in a brewery from now on. :)
Dad has it ready for the Autosolo at Knockhill tomorrow and i will be giving that a go. I have been told that there are a few MX5s entered and that there is room for a few more. If anyone fancies a go then get there at 9am. Cheap fun for road legal cars as no helmets or suits required.

Come and have a go for 20 quid.
zeolite
Regular

Postby zeolite » Mon May 01, 2017 8:13 am

Yesterday's autosolo turned into a MX5 challenge with 1 NA, 3 NBs and a NC.
zeolite
Regular

Postby zeolite » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:54 pm

Life has a way of taking up all your time!

Off tonight to do a road rally up Perthshire way with the Nevada. It has been having some minor issues dealt with. (Leaking expansion tank, squeaky alternator etc). I have been flat out busy with job, college and a sick wife while Dad has had some issues with his back. What the hell!

Geein it laldy tonight!
zeolite
Regular

Postby zeolite » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:38 pm

Been a bit lax with updates.
The navigational rally was a real chore for me as I starting throwing up 30 miles in and puked continuously the rest of the way round. Dad was driving briskly but not near 100% as i couldn't keep track of the slots due to shouting for Huey. We got the correct route but dropped time and that put us out of the good places. The Nevada ran faultlessly and dad said the brakes were superb. The rally started in Dunkeld and wended its way into Angus (very bumpy roads) and then back west into Perthshire. A well organised event from the Saltire rally Club.

We did a Glenrothes MSC autosolo at the Leuchars former RAF base. It is now run by the army and it has huge amounts of room for fun. An army charity was running a Vmax event on the main runway and there was some serious exotica out on that. We did our autosolo and it was a battle between the NBs as the Wilsons had there red 2001 NB out. I am improving and only spun once. (You have to find the limit) A couple of Mclaren owners decided to have a go and it was something seeing those beasts understeering round the cones. Someone remebered to switch on the sport mode and they promptly started spinning. It was a hoot!
zeolite
Regular

Postby zeolite » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:41 pm

Over the winter the Nevada has had a new radiator and some repair work to the front chassis. Just a bit of rust removal and welding.
I have put the entry in for the 2018 saltire targa in March and hopefully we will be a bit faster this year.
There will be 5 autosolos run by my clubs for skidz and i am training up a new navigator for road rallies.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:41 pm

:text-worthless: :coffee:
M-m

Return to “Members Mx-5/ Roadsters”