What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Mk 2 1998 silver R.S import sort out thread,06

A place for members to show off their pride and joy. Also room to document your projects.
robabarker
Regular

Re: Mk 2 1998 silver R.S import sort out thread

Postby robabarker » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:26 pm

So, as you might have guessed, I'm the lucky guy that bought the silver RS from Wayne and as you might expect I'm really happy with it!

It's far quicker than my old (rust riddled) Euphonic, and I've only gone for reverse instead of sixth a couple of times...

First job was to get some new bulbs, so in went some silvered repeater bulbs (more on that later), Philips X-Treme Vision 130% headlight bulbs and Bluevision sidelights. This was partly to combat the '5s candle-like lights and partly because I had a repeater out, which actually turned out to be an earth issue, but it needed doing anyway and now they're mega bright!

So, early on Saturday Wayne, the Mazda saint that he is, managed to squeeze me in to get the temporary blue mirrors changed back over to the silver ones which have had a new lick of paint:

As soon as that was done I headed over to the Menders approved Toyota dealership to get the 'fast road' alignment done, apparently it wasn't too far out before but it definitely feels sharper now, plus I got a free cup of tea:

Yesterday the head Mender reminded me that I had an Autolink voucher waiting for me for taking out Flux insurance via Menders. I didn't hang about and put in an order for some clear repeaters, they really tidy up the side of the car, even though some Bar Steward has dented the door right next to the driver's side one. This is where the silvered bulbs come in, you can't see them at all!

Plans now are to replace the tyres (swapping out T1Rs for Rainsport 3s) and buy and fit a grille to protect the radiator.

I also need to try and get back over to the Mender Cave to get MM to look at my excitable speedometer (which says I'm doing 20mph at a standstill) but I'll see when he's next free!

The plan after that is to get a Japanese-shaped front numberplate & mount and spray the mount the same colour as the body. Ultimately I'd like to have the plate mount blended into the bumper in the style of a standard FD RX7 and get the whole bumper repsprayed to get rid of a slight flat spot. That and sort out the bloody door dent :sad:
MM-tinkered '98 Roadster RS
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Postby flea » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:32 pm

:-)
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:13 am

:handgestures-thumbup: :text-coolphotos: :coffee:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:16 pm

As you might have read on the Facebook group page thingy, she went in for her MOT on Saturday.

Wayne recommended I take it to a bloke just down the road and I'm glad he did, chatted about cars for a couple of hours and didn't get any advisories on the certificate, although I nearly got one for the amount of copper-grease that the head Mender had added during the sort-out!

Getting new tyres fitted this Saturday (Rainsport 3s) then a drive up to see family in Newcastle the week after, so that should help to break them in!

Sadly when the car was up on the lift for the MOT I saw even more parking dents so I'm now trying to figure out how to get them sorted, paintless repair? Some weird heating/cooling technique? New doors? I just don't know!
robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:29 pm

Quick update to show how things are going!

I had the tyres fitted on the 22nd which was a bit of an experience, mainly because of the large rottweiler wandering around the garage and barking its head off every 5 minutes.

The younger Mender needed a set of tyres for his MK1 project so I was happy to give him my old T1Rs and he seemed pretty pleased too! Wayne also managed to see me for 10 minutes to fit a grille, despite him having a pretty terrible birthday thanks to a bit of a hardware problem (which you've probably all heard about!)

I was off to see family up in Whitley Bay the next week for my birthday and before I left I managed to find someone selling an oem bootlid spoiler, and in silver too! Thanks Chris if you're on here!

After making the trip north a mixture of birthday meals, pub crawls and torential downpours meant that it took nearly three days to get the spoiler fitted. It turns out it's harder than I'd expected to get the bolt holes to line up, even with a template!

Still, we got there in the end although we had to slot the holes with a dremel to get it to fit flush, plus I discovered that Tigerseal is Satan in liquid form if you overdo it!

Spoiler fitted:

I got a new gear knob too! The old spherical chrome one didn't feel quite right to me, so I went for the very heavy and very nice turned metal one from The MX5 Restorer, I'd really recommend it! I might even get the matching handbrake handle further down the line.

That's everything for now, but I've got a long list of plans for the car and I'll keep updating this thread.
robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:22 pm

Did a very quick (5 minute) mod today, fitting clear/white reflectors in place of the old orange ones.

Thanks as always to Autolink with their mega-speedy shipping.

I think the Agip sticker will be coming off but I want the nose painting anyway so it might have to wait!

Sadly I'm starting to run out of cheap things to do to the car so there might be a bigger gap between posts while I sort out the funds (I should probably take a holiday at some point too!)

robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:46 pm

Right, time for a quick update!

To be honest not much was done on the Roadster over the winter months, apart from keeping her clean!

Having said that, I decided it was time to get moving again, so Wayne very kindly fitted a dual MX5Parts zorst, as well as adjusting my drooping door hinge and sorting my roof/window seals as seen in the recent how-to.

Now I'm not normally a fan of too much bling, but since I have a stainless exhaust now and I was at my parents' place over easter where I had access to a dremel with felt polishing tips I decided to give the zorst a bit of a going over:

Zorst.jpg
Zorst.jpg (81.32 KiB) Viewed 13712 times

zorstshine.jpg
zorstshine.jpg (62.57 KiB) Viewed 13712 times

So, as some of you may have seen on the Facebook group I've put together a bit of a list of what I want to do next (other than exploring the murky world of polishing). I could probably get away without doing any of this, but I want to put my own stamp on the car and it's the little things that annoy me!

Body
Repaint scuffed front lip
Repaint front bumper (also a little scuffed) and fill number plate holes
Fit JDM stand-off plate mount
Polish up headlights
Repaint and fit Mazdaspeed headlight covers
Touch up paint on mirrors (the edges are a tiny bit flat)
Touch up stonechip on windscreen frame/A-pillar
Remove minor parking dents
Fit new wheels (something interesting in realms of SSR, Enkei or Rays preferably!)
Touch up sun-damaged paint on top of quarter panel
Repaint and refit spoiler (currently slightly the wrong shade of silver)
Fill rear plate holes
Fit JDM-size number plates
Fit mk2.5 tail lights
Fit OEM tail light covers
Sort out little patches of rust in engine bay (mostly where bolt holes are)

Performance
Fit Meisters
Fit aftermarket induction kit

Interior
Fit gauges (Water temp mainly!)
Blacken steering wheel
Fit Jass SS instrument bezel
Fit Jass needle caps
Fit NA split visors
Fit new gear gaiter
Fit new handbrake gaiter
Fit MX5Restorer handbrake handle (to match gear lever)
Fit metal interior door handles (I'm sure these were a thing on some 2.5s)
Replace cracked tweeter panels
Sort out buzzing Bose speaker (needs something to protect it from water)
Replace missing boot carpet clips

Some of these are in the process of being sorted, I'm getting some Meisters soon and I've got the Roadster booked in for August to sort most of the paint, so I'll updated as I go along!
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:39 pm

^you'll be busy till 2020
1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young!
robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:29 pm

I'll give myself 12 months :wink:
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:48 am

Easy list.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:40 am

Yeah, it's not too bad, mainly just aesthetic stuff.

I'll add 'fit alloy radiator and slam panel/cowl' on there too, probably best to do this at the same time as the temp gauge (by which I mean I'll probably ask you to do it MM!)
robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:16 pm

Very quick update!

I've secured a set of second hand (but well cared for) Meisters, which will be going on in the near future, and of course I'll be back over to the Toyota garage to get the alignment redone once they're installed.

In the meantime, I've been doing a bit of general cleaning and polishing, as well as replacing the worn foam radiator strip. I went for 12mm deep by 15mm wide, but it's just a tiny bit too thin, so if anyone else is thinking of doing the same then I'd recommend 15mm deep by 10 or 15mm wide.

Super easy to do since the old foam was falling apart, I just pulled it off then gave it a wipe down with some IPA and scraped the old glue off with a teaspoon (which is clearly the tool recommended by Mazda for such jobs).

mazdarad.jpg
mazdarad.jpg (77.59 KiB) Viewed 13607 times

Mazdarad2.jpg
Mazdarad2.jpg (74.71 KiB) Viewed 13607 times

It's also the OC Spring Rally next week so I'll get a few photos, I hope to see some of you there!
robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:40 pm

So the spring rally went really well, it was great to meet everyone, and attend my first event with the Roadster!

Luckily The MX5 Restorer had a stand at the event, so I picked up a handbrake sleeve to match my gear knob
20160426_214458.jpg
20160426_214458.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 13584 times

20160426_214508.jpg
20160426_214508.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 13584 times

Unfortunately, as is generally the case, a couple of little faults popped up on the way home. First when indicating left the ticker was twice as fast as normal, so I knew either a bulb had gone or it was an earthing issue. After working out it was the earth block for the left headlight (which was making the headlight flash instead of the indicator) I got in touch with Wayne who recommended tightening down the bolt, which seems to have sorted the problem. As you'll see, the earth block is relocated, so it's a much easier job! I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to clean up the rusty bolt to get a better earth though
20160426_214305.jpg
20160426_214305.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 13584 times

The other thing was that the clutch pedal started creaking at the bottom of its travel. MM to the rescue again, and he recommended I spray down the pedal spring/hinge with the good old silicone spray lube, problem solved.
20160426_214339.jpg
20160426_214339.jpg (2.96 MiB) Viewed 13584 times

So, all sorted and I'll update the to-do list. Also added my first non-menders sticker to the car, if you haven't been on the Japanese Nostalgic Car site then it's definitely worth a look!
20160426_214258.jpg
20160426_214258.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 13584 times
robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:46 pm

Update: 26.4.16

robabarker wrote:Body
Repaint scuffed front lip
Repaint front bumper (also a little scuffed) and fill number plate holes
Fit JDM stand-off plate mount
Polish up headlights
Repaint and fit Mazdaspeed headlight covers
Touch up paint on mirrors (the edges are a tiny bit flat)
Touch up stonechip on windscreen frame/A-pillar
Remove minor parking dents
Fit new wheels (something interesting in realms of SSR, Enkei or Rays preferably!)
Touch up sun-damaged paint on top of quarter panel
Repaint and refit spoiler (currently slightly the wrong shade of silver)
Fill rear plate holes
Fit JDM-size number plates
Fit mk2.5 tail lights
Fit OEM tail light covers
Sort out little patches of rust in engine bay (mostly where bolt holes are)

Performance
Fit Meisters
Fit aftermarket induction kit

Interior
Fit gauges (Water temp mainly!)
Blacken steering wheel
Fit Jass SS instrument bezel
Fit Jass needle caps
Fit NA split visors
Fit new gear gaiter
Fit new handbrake gaiter
Fit MX5Restorer handbrake handle (to match gear lever)
Fit metal interior door handles (I'm sure these were a thing on some 2.5s)
Replace cracked tweeter panels
Sort out buzzing Bose speaker (needs something to protect it from water)
Replace missing boot carpet clips
robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:29 am

Another quick update (I'm starting to use this like a digital service record, at least until someone gets MM a rubber stamp!) Service carried out by MM 10.7.16 at approx. 82,500 km indicated (59k with km-miles conversion). Plugs, belts and oil changed + handbrake adjusted.

Return to “Members Mx-5/ Roadsters”