What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

my first shot at an NA

A place for members to show off their pride and joy. Also room to document your projects.
storm
Site Admin

Re: my first shot at an NA

Postby storm » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:15 pm

So not much happened for 5 months and then i realised it was overdue an MOT.

And then this happened http://www.mazdamenders.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6611&p=57378#p57378
Attachments
20170906_183747.jpg
A bit of a wipe to clear the cobwebs (literally)
20170906_183747.jpg (375.56 KiB) Viewed 13334 times
20170906_183739.jpg
Quick clean
20170906_183739.jpg (496.81 KiB) Viewed 13334 times
1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young!
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:18 pm

Been a whole year that i have not updated this thread, good news is that i have been busy at shows representing Mazdamenders and tinkering on the 5. Will update with lots of pics soon and also am putting together a DIY on how to bypass my leaky power steering oil cooler with the help of Wayne (need to get on the horn to Andrew at Autolink ASAP)

Many of you know, a converted eunos import will read the speedo in MPH but the odometer is in Km/h still,... so you'll get a good laugh at the milage i have been putting on my car (see attached MOT Certificate below).

Tester didn't even try to mess me about this year as he knew i schooled him (with the help of this site & VOSA) last year when he tried testing my 92 import to 99 standards as it was imported in 99.

20180904_100546.jpg
20180904_100546.jpg (367.75 KiB) Viewed 12629 times
1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young!
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:29 pm

As i passed my MOT and was expecting to fail due to a sticky caliper (FR) i had some time so i thought I'd address the unfinished cosmetics in the boot. Tackled some rust patches 3 years ago but never finished them as i always have stuff in my boot.
20180904_113239.jpg
20180904_113239.jpg (480.98 KiB) Viewed 12629 times

A bit of masking and a can of halfords satin black went a long way to help clean up the look of my cars boot.
20180904_123359.jpg
20180904_123359.jpg (408.18 KiB) Viewed 12629 times

Now i just need to refit everything else and be done for the day. She'll never win any awards, but I'm ok with how she turned out (fit for purpose)
20180904_124950.jpg
20180904_124950.jpg (378.07 KiB) Viewed 12629 times

20180904_121541.jpg
20180904_121541.jpg (415.67 KiB) Viewed 12629 times
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:31 pm

1. Found paint has peeled off drop link and it has surface rust. Will need to replace i suppose.

2. Stiffened suspension (Gaz Gold Pro) to 10 and ride is much better and more predictable.

3. Adjusted steering wheel (from.Harvard edition) for 4th time but is never true centre. Will have to have alighnment shop do it from underneath. The original Eunos steering fits dead centre so makes me think that this later model momo uses a different shaft (as indicators are MUCH further away)

4. Now worst part is car drives like there is huge play in steering. Hopefully it's an alighnment issue and not a knackered rack (again).

Was so excited bringing it back from my other home, now took it back and left it there. :mad: :mad:
Attachments
20190420_150552.jpg
20190420_150552.jpg (507.24 KiB) Viewed 12079 times
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:45 pm

storm wrote:1. Found paint has peeled off drop link and it has surface rust. Will need to replace i suppose.

2. Stiffened suspension (Gaz Gold Pro) to 10 and ride is much better and more predictable.

3. Adjusted steering wheel (from.Harvard edition) for 4th time but is never true centre. Will have to have alighnment shop do it from underneath. The original Eunos steering fits dead centre so makes me think that this later model momo uses a different shaft (as indicators are MUCH further away)

4. Now worst part is car drives like there is huge play in steering. Hopefully it's an alighnment issue and not a knackered rack (again).

Was so excited bringing it back from my other home, now took it back and left it there. :mad: :mad:

1....Rub down and re add fresh paint if the bushes are still good.
2....Throw them away and fit some better units like meister r's.
3....You need to drill the back of the steering boss where the shaft hole is with a cone drill bit ( do it bit by bit and keep checking) which will help the boss move further forward to then connect with the indicator cancellers,
4.... Bigger steering wheel and alignment out, go and pick up the toys out of your pram and get her home.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:28 am

Mazda Mender wrote:1....Rub down and re add fresh paint if the bushes are still good.
2....Throw them away and fit some better units like meister r's.
3....You need to drill the back of the steering boss where the shaft hole is with a cone drill bit ( do it bit by bit and keep checking) which will help the boss move further forward to then connect with the indicator cancellers,
4.... Bigger steering wheel and alignment out, go and pick up the toys out of your pram and get her home.
M-m

1. Gotcha bossman, will do. Any particular paint?
2. No more spending for a while.
3. The steering back is already 1mm from the cover of the indicator assembly. There is no room to go further back. (This i can live with). What i need is for the alignment to be sorted so that a straight steering means the car goes straight too. If all else fails, i still have my original Eunos steering for now.
4. Same size wheel. Will collect it in a few days when the shops are open and try again.
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:37 pm

Just logged in to find all my old pics have vanished thanks to the old host (will try and fix that soon).

In the mean time i have brought the car home again.

Start 1st time after being locked away for 2 months. Power steering fluid is all gone so will have to sort the bypass out ASAP (will take pics for guide). The cooler pipe is leaking and canmot find a brand new one anywhere. Got a nail in the tyre on way home (repaired), alighnment was WAY out so car was crabbing (as discussed in my earlier post) but now is again a laugh to drive. May stiffen the rear up one more click as it still has a little to much rebound (will check tyre pressures first)

Next have to take apart spare rear lights (remove add-on covers so i can colour code them) and polish the lenses to look new) Will save covers for later maybe.

Need to de-tango the front indicators and sort front passenger bumper mount/support as it is too short (made replacemets as my old ones snapped) and is pulling bumper inwards causing it to bow.

So much to come....
Attachments
20190620_143435.jpg
Time for a quick clean
20190620_143435.jpg (485.44 KiB) Viewed 11864 times
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:33 pm

Can't catch a break! On the way home as i braked to turn in to my house my BBS centre cap came off, bounced, went flying past me, hit the island/crossing and scattered into its components. Parked the car and ran back to see what was left.... found all 3 bits and reassembled it but its mangled and clips are all loose. Doubt if ibrefit it that it will last now. Need to find 2 replacements now.

Joy!
Attachments
20190620_202850.jpg
20190620_202850.jpg (408.43 KiB) Viewed 11858 times
20190620_202824.jpg
20190620_202824.jpg (509.77 KiB) Viewed 11858 times
20190620_202800.jpg
20190620_202800.jpg (345.85 KiB) Viewed 11858 times
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:11 am

Its all repairable...how was the drive after all this time.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:52 pm

Mazda Mender wrote:Its all repairable...how was the drive after all this time.
M-m

Cap has been straightened with a pair of pliers for now and i have given it to a professional wheel repair facility to fix and repaint it. Problem is that the plastic bits inside have been damaged and will not last. This will come off again.

Found out the Infiniti i30 and q45 both share these wheels and caps so i can source a used replacement set from the US realtively cheaply.

Loved the drive till the cap flew past me,... and when i went to park it back at my other house. Found the passenger door has a rattle (with stereo) and the drivers door still rattles like mad.

I absolutely loved this car but it has really started to look like garbage and has worn me right down again. With my limited free time and joyous new illness sapping me of all energy i doubt i will be driving anything but my daily this year.

At the moment i am honestly out of time as i am trying desperately to restore all the pics on the 1st 3 pages of this thread.
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:51 am

Just washed the 5 and gave the engine a full jizza treatment so the MOT tester has it easy. Must admit, 2nd application made a HUGE difference.
20190911_090030.jpg
20190911_090030.jpg (475.33 KiB) Viewed 11406 times

Buuuuuuut as 2 years ago,... they failed my 92 eunos on emissions!!! :oops: :evil:

Had some seriously stern words with them and showed them a letter from VOSA that my car is exempt from the (post 1995) 2nd (fast idle) test as the make and model IS NOT SPECIFIED for testing to the post 1995 standard. Specially considering my car (with all emissioms gear intact) had failed it 2 years ago. Now it's getting retested and as usual i am waiting. So irritated!!
20190911_132843.jpg
20190911_132843.jpg (303.05 KiB) Viewed 11404 times

Now passed after retest
20190911_132336.jpg
20190911_132336.jpg (323.9 KiB) Viewed 11404 times
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:47 pm

Poor car has sat since November 2019. Battery dead now. Car on SORN. Only i know were the kill switch is and i am 4000 miles away now. Will resurrect her one day....

I'm sure many 5s have suffered during the pandemic
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:36 am

That's a shame. But as long as she is being stored dry and not being messed with she will resurrect.

Our 5 did less than 500 miles last year, cant see that increasing much this year as things stand but we live in hope.
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:30 pm

Still sitting in a garage in Buckinghamshire since 2019 but my son has stepped up and will be helping to get her back up and running soon. Soon as life gets back on track (and when I get back to the UK) she will be off to the mender man himself for a full health check and some little toys to FINALLY be fit that have been taking up space at Wayne Manor since before the pandemic :roll:

Summer 2022 she will see the light of day after 3 years...

:auto-layrubber:
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:54 pm

Been a while (as always) but the 5 was up and running till i had to sorn her again (unable to drive it in winter). I've now moved her to another location and she has a fresh battery too and will be out and about in 2023.

I've been super busy lately with a new job and building a mk4 golf gti for my elder son (the car is 21 years old!) To the same standard as the 5 which I built for my younger son.

So hard to treat both kids equally. :lol:
Attachments
20221206_134343.jpg
20221206_134343.jpg (428.17 KiB) Viewed 1103 times

Return to “Members Mx-5/ Roadsters”