What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

my first shot at an NA

A place for members to show off their pride and joy. Also room to document your projects.
storm
Site Admin

Re: my first shot at an NA

Postby storm » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:41 pm

OUTER WINDOW SEALS

The next day my seatbelts, window weather strip/seal, CAS seal and assorted clips arrive and I'm gagging to get my hands dirty as i felt i cheated myself by allowing someone else to fit my exhaust.

This time I thought I'd do a FULL photoshoot of what I was doing as this was an easy job. This was also how I first got to know Wayne as he gave me a VERY useful tip.
now I know you do not have to remove the doorcard for this but on one side I did just to be on the safe side and in case any novice trying to tackle this job dropped a clip.

Start with the door handle screw (my car had the wrong style one on it) and then remove the backing plate and keep safe

Remove the little plastic cover on the armrest grab handle and remove the screw beneath it as well as the 2 on the base of the armrest

Carefully pop out all the clips on the speaker cover then the door cards (locations are in the picture below). Almost all are located on the edges of the front, bottom and back of the door and require very little force.
be careful here as it is VERY easy to damage the door cards. when you feel that everything is loose you may lift the door card up wards to release everything (make sure to allow the door handle to come through)

The following Picture shows the location of SOME of the clips which we must open to remove the window weather strip/seal. these become VERY brittle with age and to be honest they will most likely break upon removal unless you have the absolute lightest touch (cheers Wayne). The parts I received from MX5parts had mostly new clips but 2 were not there on each side when compared to the original ones n my car (so I HAD to reuse some).

If your seals look like this, it's seriously way past the time to change them

Waynes Protip: sliding a credit card behind the clip (from the outside) when removing the strip/seal will release the catch and allow the clip to come off without breaking it or using any force (yes it works if you are not a ham-fisted muppet). as you can see from the yellow clip I refit, the little tab in the middle is the lock and can be pesuaded to let go with a little help from a credit/debit card (I used a costa coffee card as I had one spare)
here is proof that even someone with oversooked sausages for fingers can do an 83.33333333% decent job :clap:

Now clearly nobody has ever changed these seals or ever bothered to get in here and clean this place so i decided to git it a once over while I had access
the overspray was killing me!

I must admit that I used this opportunity to regrease the window channels and give the mechanism a good check up (windows now move 20% faster)

Now it's time for reassembly (which is the reverse of the above)

make sure you hear all clips pop back in and that everything feels & looks as it should. This job I consider to be very easy and you should be able to tackle both sides in under an hour (which includes opening the door cars & cleaning).
Last edited by storm on Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young!
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:23 pm

SEATBELTS

Right, I cannot begin to describe how loose my seatbelts were. and it was scary just thinking about the fact that this car passed an MOT with the old soggy ones which were quite frayed at the edges,... there was no way I would allow my kids to ride in the car like this either. Time to swap them out. excuse the low light but it was getting dark and I had to finish the pictoral of the window channel seal before I started this.

Start with the top of the B-Pillar, there will be a screw on the top part and a pin type think on the side which your tonneau cover clips on to.

Here you can see the side pin for the tonneau cover as well as the hard top clips (mine use one screw and one hex bolt, don't ask me why, but I'll change them later)

Next it's the black clip and another tonneau cover pin which needs to be removed (pull the centre of the pin out and it will release)

Remove the 4 screws on the sill and remove. make sure you do not damage the guide on the bottom of the sill as it will help locate the sill upon refitting.

Then remove the rubberised seal up the B-pillar

To access the top seatbelt bolt on the B-Pillar simply push the cover from underneath with your fingertips and it should release with little to no effort. Now loosen the Seatbelt bolt.

Next you can undo the bolt on the floor behind the seat. Now I must admit I'm not sure if it has a cover or not as mine didn't and since it's so hidden it possible Mazda didn't fit one to save a few grams.
My seatbelt bolt was not in the finest state but the actual mounting hole was solid (thank the lord).

Once you remove the plastic cover off the B-pillar you'll be able to access the moving parts of the seatbelt which are housed in the B-Pillar. Don't worry too much about the part of the cover that fits under the carpet of the parcel shelf, it will slip out and in without having to remove the carpet. The B-pillar cover has a well camouflaged clip right where the seatbelt tower bolt is and if you open that everything slips off quite easily. The belt has a small bolt on top with a metal guide on the strip.

And a heavy duty bolt on the bottom which is a mounting point (just visible behind the white clip)

now here is MY question, anyone know what the white electrical clip is there for? Yhe original belts had a white bit mounted to the reels on the belt but the new ones didn't. Now my 92 Eunos isn't that advanced where I can see this actually working in conjunction with a yaw sensor or something which would lock the belts,... or am I wrong?

MX5parts supplied me with genuine Mazda parts which they assured me are correct for my vehicle

They are the same dimensions and fit/work perfectly but I cannot figure out why there is any wiring to the old one and what it would do (old item on left)

I left the plugs unattached and refit everything for now and it all seems perfect so far, no warnings, no codes thrown up and the belts lock up & work exactly as they should. Would love to know if I am doing something wrong here or not. apart from that I have refit everything and so far I have nothing but progress to report. the belts hold me tight (it was Valentines day) and I feel safe that they will do their job in an accident.
1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young!
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:39 pm

Eunos Roadsters has an electronic seat-belt "loosener". Seems Japanese drivers don't like the feeling of a tight seat belt. There is a simple mod that deactivates this and leaves the seatbelt tight, just like a UK car.
It's quite possible that there was nothing wrong with your original seat belt and you just needed to deactivate the seat-belt "loosener". I'm sure one of the other guys will be able to give you more details on this...
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
17” OZ Racing Superturissmo wheels (for the toad)
15” Rota Circuit 10 wheels (for track use)
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:27 pm

The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:16 am

Lazza wrote:Eunos Roadsters has an electronic seat-belt "loosener". Seems Japanese drivers don't like the feeling of a tight seat belt. There is a simple mod that deactivates this and leaves the seatbelt tight, just like a UK car.
It's quite possible that there was nothing wrong with your original seat belt and you just needed to deactivate the seat-belt "loosener". I'm sure one of the other guys will be able to give you more details on this...

&

Mazda Mender wrote:viewtopic.php?f=59&t=2156&p=20595&hilit=seat+belt#p20595
Just pull the fuse :handgestures-thumbup:
M-m

storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:39 pm

I apologise in advance for being so silent but i have not had my car in all this time. I had sent it off to my mechanic who is making it safe to race (track days) and we've had some issues with powerflex allegedly supplying the wring front bushes 3 times now. luckily it's not costing me more as my mechanic is doing the work in his spare time to keep costs down. Regular mendin shall resume in a fortnight from now.
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:14 pm

RIGHT!!

I just got her back, mechanically it was all sorted and then she decided to fall apart in my garage,... so she's now with the MX5 Restorer.
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:34 am

just before sending her off to the restorer, I sourced some more parts which (in theory) should help her cool just that little bit more efficiently.

this bit of metal fits between the headlights just ahead of the radiator, it helps guide all the air coming into the grille towards the radiator instead of "leaking" through the holes that are there

before (you can see all the holes where the air can potentially bypass the radiator)

After (now all the air should be guided through the oil cooler and radiator)

Anyone who is mad about getting the most out of the cooling system, please note the thin sliver of grey insulation foam inserted between the panel and the radiator. This makes a difference too as every gap will allow air to bypass the oil cooler and radiator. Real world testing has not been done on this item yet as I have not managed to get any track time as of now, but I am confident that this WILL help maintain realistic water & oil temperatures when the car finally sees a track. For now, let's just say that I feel safer knowing that this mod has been done.
Last edited by storm on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:46 am

When "upgrading" the hoses on a car, you must address the clips as usually the hoses are a fraction bigger than the OEM ones and usually the old clips do not work anymore. always go for the best quality ones you can find and NEVER overtighten them as they have the potential to pinch or cut the hoses. when I fit my Stoney racing kit everything went on a treat and I had no issues. However after my mechanic redid the water pump and sent the car back to me I found a leak which looked like the sealant used to make the gasket had leaked and was causing the coolant to leak. Obviously as this s my first 5 I panicked, specially since she was due for collection soon as she was off for a respray. luckily I took a monet to think this through and realised that it was possible that the hose might not have been fit back perfectly. Yes I understand that this sounds insane as my mechanic prepares race cars for a living and I do not but it turn sout that I was right, he had not fir the clamp right and that was causing the coolant to leak. A quick jiggle later it was on and the fit was good.

from this angle it looks like a leaking seal

this pic made me think twice as the clip was on a bit far back and the "leak" was a bit high up
Last edited by storm on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:54 am

bodywork

Everyone knows that blocked drain tubes on these cars lead to the sills to rot right? however, mine looked MINT!

Upon closer inspection I noticed a little texture to my sills so I thought I'd give it a gentle poke with whatever was in my hand at the time (for a change it was a screwdriver)

it was at this point when I had started to lose hope and posted an SOS on the Mazda Menders FB page. I was contacted by a well known member whos projects speak for themselves so we agreed to have the car sent to them for repairs.

now I know, "a real mender would fix it themselves" but I wanted it done right and I'd rather leave bodywork to the professionals.
Last edited by storm on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:34 pm

Restoration
as I said in my earlier post, its better to leave it to the pros. my car went off to the MX5restorer for mild sill repair and a respray (more on that later)

a little rot on the right

a little rot on the left (for good measure)

Magic unicorn blood used to repair

more unicorn blood on the other side

new panels added

more fresh metal

now that the rot was addressed, it was time to strip her and get her ready for her new paintjob

debadged and all previous holes closed

all surfaces prepped and ready for paint

here she is! new colour is Crystal Antimony Grey, it's a McLaren/Mercedes Colour used on the SLR722. That's Mr. MX5restorer himself inflating the backup wheels as my BBS were away.

oh, and how can I forget,... weight reduction bro!
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:29 pm

Are you on commission ?????? :whistle: :coffee:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:04 pm

Looks good! Gareth does know his stuff! :coffee:
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
17” OZ Racing Superturissmo wheels (for the toad)
15” Rota Circuit 10 wheels (for track use)
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Postby flea » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:35 pm

Looking good
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Wayne, hahaha! I wish, this damn car has cost me so much, I'd take all the help i can get. That said, i refuse to do the build with any compromise. Next post,... AUTOLINK!

Lazza, thanks and yes, top guy and doesn't need to be told twice. Quick turnaround too.

Flea, cheers bud, appreciate it (more to come)

Return to “Members Mx-5/ Roadsters”