What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Hoodedreeper's Mk1 The Purple Monster

A place for members to show off their pride and joy. Also room to document your projects.
hoodedreeper
Regular

Re: Hoodedreeper's Mk1 The Purple Monster

Postby hoodedreeper » Fri May 06, 2016 11:28 pm

hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:07 pm

With the Electric Window conversion done and dusted i ordered some Stainless Switches from Jass Performance

A few weeks ago I met up with a friend who owns a local Media Company (BN Media). They've just bought some new equipment that allows them to record in 4K,so they invited me along to do a day's worth of filming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBJhfkL1Ock

Every year i look forward to attending one of the UK's largest car shows Modified Nationals. I thought i'd try my luck with the Show & Shine this year,and i got chosen to be in the Top 16 inside the Exibition Hall (its a pretty big deal getting in here as competition is extremely tight).

With the car in place it was show time! Surrounded by the country's best modified cars,it was very daunting having the MX sitting there,especially as she's wearing a few battle scars.

Sadly i didn't win anything,which i knew was expected,but just having the experience of being there means alot.

I've already got more plans for the car,even though this House Saving is supposed to be starting. Luckily the other half is encouraging it (for now) so we shall see. Possibly big changes are in the pipeline....

My photos from the show can be found over at Chris Baker Photography - Modified Nationals 2016
hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:21 pm

Package from Garagestar :D

In May my AEM wideband failed (gauge was stuck on 14.7) Got the car on the ramps and found out the plug had melted along with part of the loom. Fitted a new sensor and loom,but the gauge was reading leaner than normal. After trying a different gauge and taking the charger off to check for Manifold leaks,i was left scratching my head with no clue.

The car started to spit flames rather well (alot more than normal) after the exhaust started to blow from the front. I got the car booked in with Clive at Autotronix Developments for him to have a look. Clive diagnosed the blow was the flexi on the Fujitsubo manifold and welded in a straight piece. While it was on the ramp he checked the fuel filter,it still had japanese writing,so i'm gonna take a guess and say that hasn't been changed in a LONG time. With some tweaks on the dyno and on the road the car was back to showing 12.4 AFR on WOT and runs awesome now.

Finally got round to tilting the diffuser up with the help from a friend

Sunday 10th July was Japshow at Santa Pod,i was invited along to be apart of the Fitment Junkies club stand. An awesome day despite the odd rain shower through out the day.

We left early to beat the traffic,got 10mins out and stopped for fuel,where i discovered a flat tyre :( Theres a first time for everything! With the boot filled with cleaning and camera equipment,i didn't have a spare. Ended up waiting 3hrs for my Dad to come deliver a pair of Rota RKRs so i could get home.

Moral of the story,carry a space saver....or get Recovery through the Bank/Insurance company

hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:51 pm

I happen to be browsing through eBay looking at parts and came across a listing for an MX5. Price was pretty good,but it needed some TLC,myself and the other half had talked about getting a joint project for awhile but it never really happened. I contacted the seller and arranged to view the car etc etc managed to knock him down on the price and got it trailored home last night.

Its a 1990 1.6 Import,cambelt and waterpump done approx 20k miles ago. Panels are pretty straight but the paint work has seen better days.

Its got a seized driver side rear caliper which i'm in the middle of sorting. Only other concern is the driver side rear arch has started to corrode quite badly (you'll see in the photos below).

No real plans for this except tidy it up and get it MOT'd and on the road

Will add updates to this topic as there probably wont be that many compared to the Purple MX5
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:02 pm

:handgestures-thumbup: :coffee:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:53 pm

Its been a busy few weeks with the new Silver project...

New Caliper
New Rear Brake Pads
New Handbrake cable
HIDs removed
Horn wired up
All broken interior trim replaced

While i was tidying up the wiring under the steering column (its got a black box with a loom attached,but most of the loom is bunched up and not connected) I caught the accelerator pedal and it happened to move alot more than usual.

It was cracked all the way along the plate,and only held on by the bend on the left (i snapped it off for ease of removal). What a ball ache that was to change!

While the rear wheel was off having the brakes sorted,i spotted these...

Looks like they haven't moved in a long time,something else to look at sorting

It seems when ever i 'browse' eBay i end up spending money. Found a listing for some 'Mazda MX5 Mk1 Alloys',they had 4 bids at Ā£102 ($136). Looking closer at the photos,the stamp in the centre was very distinguishable. I ended up winning them for Ā£118 ($157)!

RS Watanabe 14x6 ET? (i'm guessing either 35 or 40) with 185/60 tyres (will need replacing)

Yesterday (Monday 1st August) i took it for its MOT (yearly inspection for those over seas) and she passed with a couple of advisories

Let the fun begin!
hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:33 pm

Fitted the Deep Corn Nardi that was removed from the Purple car

Received a delivery from Driftworks

We dropped the RS Watanabe's off at a local Powder Coater last week. They didn't have the colour we wanted,they didn't have a sample either. He said if we allow him to go ahead with the colour,he'll do it at a lower price. I'm glad we took the gamble cos they're stunning!

Stuck some Uniroyal Rain Expert 185/60r14 on and got them mounted on the car. The car also had the rear camber arms free'd off,greased and adjusted,new track rod ends and an alignment. Garage said it was the worst car they've seen a long time :( oops!

Also fitted some clear Headlamps from eBay

hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:36 pm

Yesterday (Sunday 21st August) myself and a few friends headed over to Santa Pod Raceway for their Run What You Brung events. Having never done this i was pretty nervous...

MX5 - 200hp
MR2 Turbo - 363hp
Astra GSi - 276hp
Leon - 325hp

It wasn't until my last run of the day that i found the Intercooler pipe on the Charger side wasn't attached. By the time we managed to get it fixed the track had closed. The times aren't the best for the car spec,but i now have targets to beat for next time

hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:36 pm

On the 10th September it was 3 years since i first got the car

Not much has happened recently with the cars,we went to Japanese Auto Extravaganza a week or so ago (UK's largest Jap show)

hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:34 pm

Headed into the city where a new light tunnel had been put up. Would have been rude not to get some snaps

hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:28 pm

Certainly not the most exciting christmas present you'd usually receive,but i'm thankful :)
Received an engine stand and a 1.6 UK long nose engine. Compression is very good 198/202/210/210.

Plans are to strip it down and clean everything up with a lick of paint or powder coat. Will also be fitting a coolant re-route,COPs,GarageStar pulleys (already have these). Replace majority of the gaskets and seals and the usual service stuff.

The supercharger will also get a new coat of paint along with new intercooler pipes as and when the current engine is removed :)

blackyb

Postby blackyb » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:24 am

I would have loved to have found either one or both under our tree, instead, single malts and aftershave, so my family think I am an alcoholic and smell !!!
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:19 pm

Managed to grab a set of Toyota Coil On Plugs at a very good price. Even better that the wiring has already been sorted

Been collecting a box of parts ready

Today (Weds 4th Jan) i was finally able to degrease the block inbetween the rainy showers. Theres a few smaller areas that need cleaning (behind the silver tape for example) but its 90% ready for paint. I've switched from aerosol to brush on as it'll be easier to do with the unexpected weather at the moment

hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:35 pm

Finished off the prep on the block and masked it up ready for paint

A couple of layers of Smooth Silver Hammerite,job done!

Started to spray some bits and pieces in VHT Wrinkle Black

Also had some bits and pieces powder coated in Gloss Black

Today (13th Jan) i received my GarageStar/Circuit Dreamer order,much excite! rare part! wow!

Mazda 323/Mercury Capri Valve Cover
Coil On Plugs bracket
Alloy Overflow Tank
Cam Gear Hardware

I also received majority of replacement stainless bolts for the front of the car :)
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:26 pm

This is on my list now too. Need to do an engine as i have a sneaking suspicion that mine will die soon.
1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young!

Return to ā€œMembers Mx-5/ Roadstersā€