What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Mk 2 1998 silver R.S import sort out thread,06

A place for members to show off their pride and joy. Also room to document your projects.
robabarker
Regular

Re: Mk 2 1998 silver R.S import sort out thread

Postby robabarker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:48 pm

Another update! MM serviced the Roadster on 11.11.17: New belts, plugs, oil, oil filter and fuel filter, plus handbrake adjustment.

Hardtop also fitted properly, cheers! Just a little adjustment needed to (hopefully) get rid of wind howl around 70mph.

Since it's been a long while since I've updated this there are also a few changes below!

robabarker wrote:Update: 26.4.16

robabarker wrote:Body
Repaint scuffed front lip
Repaint front bumper (also a little scuffed) and fill number plate holes
Fit JDM stand-off plate mount
[strike]Polish up headlights[/strike]
Repaint and fit Mazdaspeed headlight covers
Touch up paint on mirrors (the edges are a tiny bit flat)
Touch up stonechip on windscreen frame/A-pillar
Remove minor parking dents
Fit new wheels (something interesting in realms of SSR, Enkei or Rays preferably!) SSR Type-M's
Touch up sun-damaged paint on top of quarter panel
Repaint and refit spoiler (currently slightly the wrong shade of silver)
Fill rear plate holes
Fit JDM-size number plates
Fit mk2.5 tail lights
Fit OEM tail light covers
Sort out little patches of rust in engine bay (mostly where bolt holes are)
Performance
Fit Meisters
Fit aftermarket induction kit

Interior
Fit gauges (Water temp mainly!)
Blacken steering wheel
Fit Jass SS instrument bezel
Fit Jass needle caps
Fit NA split visors
Fit new gear gaiter
Fit new handbrake gaiter
Fit MX5Restorer handbrake handle (to match gear lever)
Fit metal interior door handles (I'm sure these were a thing on some 2.5s)
Replace cracked tweeter panels
Sort out buzzing Bose speaker (needs something to protect it from water)
Replace missing boot carpet clips
MM-tinkered '98 Roadster RS
robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:55 pm

Update time again.

The RS went over to MM on my day off on the 26th for a few bits.

My girlfriend bought me a Japspeed alloy rad for Christmas, so I dropped the car off along with some new OEM hoses and Hellfrauds finest coolant ready for them to be fitted.

Out with the old:

Sadly, after a valiant effort battling the conditions in Pie-Land, MM discovered that the new rad had a leak, not ideal!

Luckily, the guys at Japspeed couldn't have been more helpful, and they got a new rad out to Mr. Mender less than 24 hours after I let them know!

MM also picked me up some new coolant to replace the last lot that spilled out of the rad and went in for round 2.

In with the new:

So, rad is now on and doing its job as it should. Next bits on the list with MM are working out the mysteries of my handbrake, which keeps pulling higher even after adjustment, and the blower/vent which has developed a whistle. Watch this space!
robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:38 pm

News from Castle Mender!

The handbrake problem was tracked down, and it turned out the cable had come off the arm on the caliper. All sorted now with the standard amount of copperslip:

MM also changed my split exhaust hangers for me, the previous ones were past their best and the exhaust was hanging low and waggling a bit. He also added jam for luck:

Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:23 pm

Red rubber grease to stop them drying out....
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Collected her from MM and pleased to say the handbrake is holding now!

Set off for a trip to Newcastle on Sunday and after a quick top-up with water after some more air came out of the cooling system I was away.

She behaved herself although the whistling vent needs further investigation because it was drowning out the radio in the wind on the way back! Also needed to top up the coolant again before setting off back to Manc-land so hopefully there isn't a leak!
robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:25 pm

After a couple of top-ups the coolant level has settled so all good there!

The handbrake needs further investigation because it keeps stretching out, and so does the whistling vent, plus my air intake heatshield needs modifying with a second bracket to stop it rubbing the engine bay.

Little additional bits that I'll sort are repainting the wiper arms and radiator top mount plates, so the list now looks like:

Paint/Finish
Repaint wiper arms
Repaint radiator top mount plates
Repaint front bumper
Repaint and refit Mazdaspeed headlight covers
Fill rear plate holes
Fit JDM-size rear plate

Performance/Engine Bay
Modify intake bracket and repaint rusted/worn area
Buy and fit Beatrush rad cooling panel
Buy and fit new rear silencer

Interior
Buy and fit stainless pedal covers
Replace torn driver's side seat base
Fit leather handbrake gaiter
robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:16 pm

Radiator topmounts all sorted although I did mar the painted bolts a little when torquing them down. After asking MM it turns out the answer to avoiding this is Copperslip (who'd have guessed?!).

Wiper arms next up, and the brakes really need a looking at, thanks to both the handbrake constantly stretching and a real lack of any feeling of urgency to them, mysterious! Plus the whistling noise and the rubbing air intake heat shield of course...

Then on to getting the paint on the front end sorted, I'm not happy taking her to shows until she looks her best! :snooty:
robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Wed May 09, 2018 11:57 am

Late update but here we go!

MM kindly fitted me in a couple of Saturdays ago to give the brakes a look over. After he gave me a quick passenger ride (which I'm really not used to) he confirmed that the brakes were fine and I was just being paranoid, luckily!

Handbrake next up, the usual adjustments were made but after a quick check we discovered it wasn't holding as it should be. More adjustments and... the same result. It turned out the handbrake lever on the rear passenger side caliper (which we replaced a few months back) was sticking. Luckily MM had a spare, replaced, bled and now everything seems to be sorted, fingers crossed!

MM also made up a bracket to secure the air intake heat shield, so that's now stable and secure, and the new coat of paint I put on the rubbed areas should hold up for many years to come :handgestures-thumbup:

Thanks Wayne for all the help. :bow-yellow:

Unfortunately when I was driving back I got a screw stuck in the front driver's side tyre :mad: but managed to get another Rainsport3 sorted within a few days!

Then I was off to Whitley Bay in the Northeast to see family, and to store the hardtop ready for the good weather, before cleaning the Roadster and doing the vinyl hood with a Renovo cleaner and proofer kit, which came out great.

Also painted up a pair of Mk2 wiper arms that Wayne kindly gave me as a swap for the Mk1 arms that were on the Roadster for some reason, so they're all fitted and looking like new.

Next on the list is getting the tracking looked at by the guys at HW Moon Toyota on Friday!
robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Wed May 09, 2018 12:11 pm

Quick update to the list:

robabarker wrote:Paint/Finish
Repaint wiper arms
Repaint radiator top mount plates
Repaint front bumper
Fill rear plate holes
Fit JDM-size rear plate

Performance/Engine Bay
Modify intake bracket and repaint rusted/worn area

Interior
Replace torn driver's side seat base
robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Tue May 15, 2018 9:56 am

Nipper over to the Menders' favourite Wigan Toyota dealers, HW Moon, for a wheel alignment on 11th. Great service as always and plenty of free coffee and biscuits. It's just a shame there wasn't anything interesting to look at!

The roadster wasn't actually far off (surprising given the amount of potholes she's experienced in Manchester over the last year or two) and the guys got her as close as they could, but sadly hit a couple of seized bolts, so didn't want to overdo it and snap them.

With that in mind, fitting new alignment bolts will be added to the list! Having spoken to Wayne last week he pointed out I should switch to a want/need list format, so here we go!

Need:

Paint/Finish
Repaint front bumper

Interior
Replace torn driver's side seat base (or have repaired)

Chassis/Handling
Replace alignment bolts

Want:

Paint/Finish
Fill rear plate holes
Fit JDM-size rear plate

Performance/Engine Bay

Interior
robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Thu May 24, 2018 4:27 pm

A bit of a mini how-to here!

I wanted to remove my frankenstein bolts now that the hardtop is off for summer, and go back to the smaller, standard bolts since I prefer how they look.

Annoyingly, one of the frankenstein bolts came apart when I tried taking it out, with the threaded section staying behind and the top section unthreading from it.

MM has already prepared a guide on this, but I was unlucky enough to only have a short length of thread available, too short to thread on two bolts and lock them together. So what do you do?! Well, after a quick call to Mr. Mender, all became clear.
33191547_10160949080085112_7647705852014493696_o.jpg
The offending short thread .
33191547_10160949080085112_7647705852014493696_o.jpg (536.69 KiB) Viewed 11814 times

33224518_10160949080285112_6224769571803365376_o.jpg
Remove the other bolt, and take off the chrome plate, you'll now have much more thread to play with.
33224518_10160949080285112_6224769571803365376_o.jpg (549.62 KiB) Viewed 11814 times

33207159_10160949080540112_6218759903238946816_o.jpg
As in the other guide, use two nuts (one thinner if need be) and lock them together, then turn out the bolt shaft with the bottom nut (ooh-er).
33207159_10160949080540112_6218759903238946816_o.jpg (532.43 KiB) Viewed 11814 times

33343093_10160949101070112_2729024135433814016_o.jpg
With the old bolt removed, you can put the new one in. Don't forget the copper grease to make the job easier next time.
33343093_10160949101070112_2729024135433814016_o.jpg (428.17 KiB) Viewed 11814 times

33468442_10160949101340112_1939688186712162304_o.jpg
And there you have it, bolt replaced!
33468442_10160949101340112_1939688186712162304_o.jpg (561.06 KiB) Viewed 11814 times
robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:54 pm

A late update but better late than never!

Last time I had my alignment done I was told that a couple of the bolts were seized, so the guys at HW Moon only got the settings as close as they could without snapping anything.

With that in mind, and the fear of more bolts seizing, I ordered a full set and Mr. Mender kindly fitted them for me, at the same time as doing a service (on the 11th of August). Unfortunately one of my ignition leads decided to come apart during the service, but Wayne lent me a set of his to get me home, despite me being ill and having to leave the car cluttering his drive for a couple of days!

Long story short, new leads fitted, MM's posted back to him and all is well, with the Roadster having the usual service of new oil, new oil filter, new belts and plugs.

In the meantime I also sorted out the upholstery on my driver's side seat base, which had torn and was letting foam escape, so a replacement cover was ordered from the Bay of E and after many hours removing hog-rings it's all back together and looking like new!

robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:30 pm

Another quick update. Hardtop put back on last weekend ready for winter.

I also realised my old rear silencer heat shield was disintegrating but I managed to get a brand new one from Mazda Stockport. I've since painted it up with silver VHT paint for a bit of protection and fitted it, which will hopefully sort a slight rattle I've had from the rear under acceleration.
robabarker
Regular

Postby robabarker » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:20 pm

Updating again (I really don't do it often enough!).

Rainsport 3's were looking more than a little worn, especially on the rear, so made the switch to Pilot Sport 3s all the way around. I wasn't too sure about going with Kwik Fit (thanks to their terrible reputation) but the price was too good to pass up on. Sadly, I noticed a bit of wobble at speed and it turned out they'd managed to forget one of the spigot rings :roll:

Other than that, not too much to report, although I will be looking to get my soft-top changed sooner rather than later thanks to the dread vinyl-shrinkage. I'm thinking of going for mohair instead!

Also managed to get a good insurance deal through Flux (despite them being incredibly high on renewal last year, and were the reason I switched to Admiral), and generally gave the engine bay a good clean.
20190512_192652.jpg
20190512_192652.jpg (400.2 KiB) Viewed 10493 times

Finally, I discovered that I've got the wrong floor mats for a MK2 RS, so I'll be on the hunt of the correct ones!
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:31 pm

What colour hood are you going for...and what mats do you have and which ones are you after.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/

Return to “Members Mx-5/ Roadsters”