What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Fitting Bonnet lifters/Gas Struts

How to make improvements to your car.
shapps
Just Run In

Fitting Bonnet lifters/Gas Struts

Postby shapps » Wed May 06, 2015 10:08 am

Inspired by M-m's video on Youtube, I took the plunge and got a set.

Step 1:
Purchase a kit. eBay is littered with these things and the kit I picked up was this one.

Step 2:
Remove the bolts in the locations in green below. The one on the wings/fenders are 10mm (easier to use a deep socket for reasons I’ll explain later) and the one on the hood is a 14mm nut. Its not pictured below, but you need to undo the upper nut on the hood hinge. You’ll see it in one of the later steps.

Step 3:
From the pack, pick up one of these ball head bolts and one of the washers, I picked a medium sized on which sat on the wing nicely. Screw this in on the first hole nearer the front of the car. Also in the second hole in the wing put in the cross head screw you will find in the pack as well. This is to allow the strut to sit cleanly under the bonnet.

Step 4:
On the hood now, pick up one of the plates with a ball head (I used the one marked R on the Left hand side if you’re facing the car and vice versa for the other side). Attach this plate with the 14mm nut you removed from the hood hinge (top pink circle in the picture below):
ImageImage

Step 5:
Now grab a strut and remove the retaining pins at each end. This makes it easier to pop the ends onto the ball head bolt. They just pop off an slide out of the hole. You WILL NEED TO PUT THESE BACK ON!
Grease up the holes nicely with the supplied grease (ear wax?) and then pop them on and put in the retaining pins.

ImageImage

The question will arise on which way to mount the struts…i.e. thin end towards the front or the other way around.

I looked at the MCM video on the S2000 which had the thick end at the bonnet end, and the MazdaMenders video had it the other way around. I went with the latter because the bonnet closed much better that way…anyway, here’s a video of the finished product…(pardon the cheesy music…couldn't be asked to look for anything interesting and sirens and my heavy breathing certainly didn't appeal)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lIu-gMS3pQ[/youtube]

Hope this helps!
Shapps
1996 Eunos Roadster VR-Limited - A
15x7 Rays Engineering Mazdaspeed MS-01Rs
Gaz Classics dropped by 35mm
Cobalt Cat-back Exhaust
Maxogen Intake
OST Rad cooling panel
Refurb'd Interior

Build Thread

Return to “Modifications”