What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Amplifier fitting questions

How to make improvements to your car.
bob_drinks_beer
Just Run In

Postby bob_drinks_beer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi all.
Not sure this is the right place to post this so feel free to move it.

I'm looking at getting a small active (built in amplifier) "underseat" sub for the 5. I know it won't fit under the seat so I'm going to mount it behind the drivers seat, I'm a midget so there's plenty of space back there :wink:
I've just got a couple of questions:-
1). Can it be screwed to the bulkhead without puncturing the fuel tank (not necessarily the same answer as can I do it without puncturing the tank! :lol: )? If not then I'll probably use velcro and stick it to the carpet (which will in turn probably need sticking to the car better), or maybe even under the carpet straight to the metal. I'm just not sure about the amp getting too hot doing this?
2). The RCA and remote switch etc I'll run under the center consol, that bit's easy enough, but where can I run a live feed from the battery to the passenger compartment? I'm assuming if I actually went out and looked I could follow some original wiring, but I'm at work trying to look like I'm working... :wink:
3). And lastly, has anyone done similar and whats it like? I'm not after bone shattering bass, but would like to be able to take a bit off bass off my door and head rest speakers (upgraded not standard) so I could turn them up a bit more with the roof down on the motorway (and maybe occationally in Tesco car park... :roll: lol).

Cheers

Bob
steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:03 pm

I've a 2.5, the battery is in my boot, it's easy to pop a cable through the tunnel that runs from the boot area to behind the drivers side carpet, behind the seat.

Pop the plastic trim in the boot out, and remove the poppers in the cabin, simples.

I have an amp in my tunnel, no sub, so I can't help on that part.
MX-5 1.8 S-VT Sport 1.8 2002/02 Finished in Starlight Silver with matching hardtop

I'm learning.........Slowly!
binarypunk

Re: Amplifier fitting questions

Postby binarypunk » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Really, any cabin electrics should be run off the ROOM fuse in the fusebox. It is also very simple to run a wire from there.

If not using the room fuse, and connecting directly to the battery, you must use a suitably sized inline fuse for protection, else a short will cause your battery to blow up.
Jon - UK Mk1 1.6 1993 Classic Red

Check out my MX5 mods and tools:
http://www.binarypunk.co.uk
Need spares? Go to Autolink!
http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:28 pm

As above, my power cable has an inline fuse, located near the battery for easy fuse swopping :)
MX-5 1.8 S-VT Sport 1.8 2002/02 Finished in Starlight Silver with matching hardtop

I'm learning.........Slowly!
bob_drinks_beer
Just Run In

Postby bob_drinks_beer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:41 pm

binarypunk wrote:Really, any cabin electrics should be run off the ROOM fuse in the fusebox. It is also very simple to run a wire from there.

If not using the room fuse, and connecting directly to the battery, you must use a suitably sized inline fuse for protection, else a short will cause your battery to blow up.

Yeah I wouldn't run anything without a fuse. I had an old Rover P6 loom turn all black and crispy because there were only about 3 fuses on the whole car... it all got replaced and every circuit went on a separate fuse and much of it got relays fitted as well.

Where is the room fuse and what rating is it? I'll probably need something fairly hefty which is why I am planning on going straight from the battery.

Return to “Modifications”