What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Portering question.

How to make improvements to your car.
Mickcafc
Regular

Portering question.

Postby Mickcafc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:07 pm

Hi all, was watching Wheeler dealers (Elise episode) and they had the head 'portered', polished and skimmed for ÂŁ450, never even heard of it before, but thats not saying much. It gave the car an exta 30 bhp so I just wondered if it would have a similar effect on the 5 (mk1)? I dont race mine but would like a little bit more oomph if possible without spending grands. Just a thought. Cheers guys, Mick.
Colin S
Regular

Re: Portering question.

Postby Colin S » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:30 pm

The expression is "ported" and basically involves smoothing out the casting marks in the inlet and exhaust ports in the head to allow a better flow of gases both into and out of the combustion chamber.

It used to be the norm for improved performance on older vehicles but with modern production methods I am not sure you would see a large gain. It also usually needs to be done in conjunction with other work to the exhaust and fueling.

You pays your money........
Racing Bronze Mk2 1.8iS
Mickcafc
Regular

Postby Mickcafc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:10 pm

Thanks Colin, Ed made it look so easy.....
binarypunk

Postby binarypunk » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:24 am

We used to do this on Mini engines back in my day and see a good 10% or more. Basically a dremel and a polishing bit and get smoothing.

Like K&Ns and loud exhausts, this is a throwback to the days when manufacturers had no incentive to wring every last drop of power out of a lump - now they very much do and the intake, exhaust and ignition/fuelling are honed to within an inch of their life just to get the emissions down enough to be able to put it on sale. The idea that there are dozens of horses hidden in there that the engineers didn't bother extracting is pretty much dead now.

Unless you're talking American cars...American engineers seem to almost willfully leave horses out for the fun of it. You often see 6 litre american lumps churning out less than 300BHP, which would make any modder's mouth water....
Jon - UK Mk1 1.6 1993 Classic Red

Check out my MX5 mods and tools:
http://www.binarypunk.co.uk
Need spares? Go to Autolink!
http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:41 pm

Having said all that, one quick (but not cheap - or particularly quick for that matter) way to add a few bhp to a Mk1 1.8 is to fit a Mk2 or even better, Mk2.5 head as they did improve the airflow over the years. So there probably is some benefit to be had from porting an MX5 engine, especially the earlier models but the cost for the limited gains available would make it very expensive.
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
17” OZ Racing Superturissmo wheels (for the toad)
15” Rota Circuit 10 wheels (for track use)
Mickcafc
Regular

Postby Mickcafc » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:30 pm

Thanks for the info, I think I will just concentrate on keeping the old girl basic but well loved. Cheers guys.

Return to “Modifications”