What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

ECU: CR from 8:1 to 10:1

How to make improvements to your car.
jass

ECU: CR from 8:1 to 10:1

Postby jass » Wed May 29, 2013 3:54 pm

I am building my old engine with main idea to have it oil-leakage-tight, and some bonuses as 10:1 pistons (8:1 on early 1.8 now), exintake mod (cheers again, Andrew!) and if all runs well some R1 42mm ITBs with MS in a month time.

Have bee in playing with the idea for a while to try-start the engine with the stock ECU to minimise the chance of mistakes with more variables (MS2 in this case).
Here my thoughts - MX5 runs way too rich, leaning the mixture should not cause problems.
I have Bipes ACU, that varies the timing depending on revs, load, temperature. Starting with conservative timing, I think I should be able to control the timing to get it running.

Not planing to trackrace it like this, but am curious how it will start.

Am I missing something essential in this equation?
Andrew
Site Sponsor

Re: ECU: CR from 8:1 to 10:1

Postby Andrew » Wed May 29, 2013 8:37 pm

Hi Vlad, I don't really understand the question. Is it that the car won't start now you've built the engine? Or haven't you tried yet? I have no experience of the Bipes box to alter the timing, but I have heard of them.
Regards.
Andrew
www.autolinkmx5.com
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Wed May 29, 2013 10:21 pm

I think he's just asking if it would be safe to try running the engine like that with the stock ecu. I don't see a problem with it myself. The stock ecu will run from the sensors (engine temp, MAF, TPS, O2) below 4k rpm so should be able to control the fuelling ok as long as the Bipes doesn't mess with the timing too much. I'd keep it well below 4k though.
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
17” OZ Racing Superturissmo wheels (for the toad)
15” Rota Circuit 10 wheels (for track use)
jass

Postby jass » Thu May 30, 2013 7:48 am

Hi Andrew, Lazza, indeed, my thoughts are if it is safe to start it with the stock ECU.

That Bipes box is a plug in controller that lets you to vary the timing of the stock ECU, considering some ECU inputs.
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Thu May 30, 2013 9:02 am

If it's just to test that it's running smoothly then I'd run it with the stock ecu only. You won't need the Bipes with an MS2 anyway so you aren't testing anything having that in the system.
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
jass

Postby jass » Thu May 30, 2013 1:43 pm

Sure, bipes does not make sense with ms. What do you think could theoretically go wrong with the higher revs, Lazza?

Just got a call, engine is ready and waiting, I will drop the car the weekend for the swap and will see what will happen. The guys in the garage do rally cars for living, dont expect to be left without support in this, but trying to scan the options in advance.
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Thu May 30, 2013 2:21 pm

There probably wouldn't be a problem with the higher revs, it's just that above 4k rpm the ecu will run from internal maps and ignore sensor inputs so if it's going to run too rich/lean or do something stupid with the timing it'll be then.
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
jass

Postby jass » Thu May 30, 2013 2:34 pm

I had the impression the early 1.8s had CR 8:1 (dont know where I found it), but started rechecking that info and can find only informations for 8.8:1. If the second is the case, the increase is not that huge and possibly there should not be issues.

I can attach wideband to check for the fuel mixture (although doubt as well that will cause problems) and will carefully increase the timing to stock with the new engine.

Might be interesting to share that my NA is starting with 22 degrees of timing advance that goes to 10 at full load above 4400 revs. No problems and the car feels with more torque at low revs. That makes me think there are huge reserves in the stock ECU and there is even chance it might start running with no problems at the end.
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Thu May 30, 2013 2:40 pm

I'm sure it would be fine. I'm just offering the "safe" advice ;)

p.s. timing can be advanced again at higher revs...
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
jass

Postby jass » Thu May 30, 2013 2:52 pm

Cheers, Lazza:).
I am looking forward, when the theory will meet reality and will share impressions here again.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Fri May 31, 2013 11:38 pm

We will be waiting buddy to post up your findings.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
jass

Postby jass » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:12 am

Good news I hope...
My 1.8 engine (number 1) was started today 10:1 CR pistons and head and block skimmed 0.8mm. It has been running smooth with the stock ECU and driving, looking forward to testing it tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

We made so far some measures (not dyno, but 0-100, 1/4 mile etc.) with the old stock engine, that will be compared to the new build one, then compared to the new with exintake mod, later with megasquirt ecu and later with ITBs.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:22 am

jass wrote:Good news I hope...
My 1.8 engine (number 1) was started today 10:1 CR pistons and head and block skimmed 0.8mm. It has been running smooth with the stock ECU and driving, looking forward to testing it tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

We made so far some measures (not dyno, but 0-100, 1/4 mile etc.) with the old stock engine, that will be compared to the new build one, then compared to the new with exintake mod, later with megasquirt ecu and later with ITBs.

:text-worthless:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
jass

Postby jass » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:35 am

Or vids:).

I am tempted to see/drive it tonight!
BenF
Epic Poster

Postby BenF » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:49 am

Your 8.8:1 sounds about right as static comp although in reality it'll be somewhere 8.5:1 ish in dynamic compression, less on an aged engine. Mazda did this to help with varying fuel grades around the world (i.e. utter rubbish in the US :wink: ) obviously you're almost done now but FWIW the stock ECU and 10:1 static will be no problem. FYI I'm going to app. 11:1 dynamic CR (12ish static) but that's with DTA, not least because the stock ECU would be too slow to manage the system safely.

Did you do leakdown tests?

As above :text-worthless:

:auto-layrubber:

Return to “Modifications”