What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

waterless coolant

Ask questions about looking after your roadster.
Mxmurray
Serial Poster

waterless coolant

Postby Mxmurray » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:47 pm

Has anyone any experience of this?
Will it work in our mx5's?
I'm thinking of getting some for my Jeep which has a diesel engine which are prone to overheating but thought it may work in the 5 as well.

http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/
Lazza
Site Admin

Re: waterless coolant

Postby Lazza » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:22 pm

I think there is still an element of "snake oil" about it. If it was really a big improvement over water based coolants, at least one manufacturer would design their cars cooling system around it. As it is, none do. There must be a reason for that.
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
17” OZ Racing Superturissmo wheels (for the toad)
15” Rota Circuit 10 wheels (for track use)
Mxmurray
Serial Poster

Postby Mxmurray » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:53 am

I think the reason manufacturers dont use it could be cost.
I have read a bit about it and as there is no water there is no overheating as the coolant has a much higher boiling point than water/coolant mix.
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:43 am

"All manufacturers". Cost isn't a factor for the likes of Ferrari, Aston Martin, RR, Bentley, Bugatti or even the top models of Jag, BMW, Mercedes etc. The cost in those cases wouldn't be noticeable. There must be some other reason why manufacturers stick with water based coolants despite everybody knowing they have their restrictions & failings.
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:10 am

I'll stick with Antifreeze :text-imwithstupid:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:40 am

The same goes for the true full synthetic oils (there are very few synthetic oils that aren't actually just modified mineral oils) like Royal Purple. They make big claims but they haven't been adopted by any manufacturer so there must still be something about them that means the usual mineral based synthetic oils are best in the real world.
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
phildent
Just Run In

Postby phildent » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:19 pm

I have had several cars over the last few years with manufacturer specified fully synthetic oils so I don't think that that is a fair comparison.However no knowledge of waterless cooling just water wetters ie surfactants.
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:33 pm

You misunderstand me. Full synthetic is specified for Mk2.5 and I use it in my car. Mobil 1 to be specific.
The point I was making though is that almost all full synthetic oils aren't actually synthetic, they are modified mineral oils. True synthetic oils are expensive, very rare and hard to get hold of. They make a lot of claims about protection, heat & pressure resistance and longevity but not one manufacturer uses them.
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:42 pm

Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
Mxmurray
Serial Poster

Postby Mxmurray » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:51 pm

Mazda Mender wrote:I'll stick with Antifreeze :text-imwithstupid:
M-m

I'm all for antifreeze but you have to admit the lack of water must have some sort of advantage in reducing corrosion/rus t within the cooling system.
I think once my car is taken off the road this year I will renew the rad and pipework and fill with waterless coolant and see how it works.
simes2000
Regular

Postby simes2000 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:41 pm

Mxmurray wrote:as there is no water there is no overheating as the coolant has a much higher boiling point than water/coolant mix.

How can that be true? a higher boiling point doesn't mean the engine, that is supposed to be cooled by the coolant, isn't running at too high a temperature! Car engines are designed to run within quite narrow temperature ranges, too low and they run inefficiently, too high and they run the risk of warping heads and other damage. using a fluid with a higher boiling point than water (water under pressure at that - with a boiling point considerably higher than 100 degrees C) will make no differene whatsoever to how well it moderates your engine temperature.

Presumably what they mean is that your engine is likely to lose less fluid when it does overheat.

The only advantage I can see to waterless coolant is the (possibly) reduced chance of corrosion within the system (water is not by any means the only fluid to allow corrosion!) however use of the correct mix of anti-freeze / summer coolant will mitigate against this just as effectively.

Of course the fact that Edd Chyna endorses it on the tellybox must mean it is good! :roll:
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:10 pm

simes2000 wrote:Of course the fact that Edd Chyna endorses it on the tellybox must mean it is good!

Thats how i understand it to, it's great now fill my bank account please. :roll:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:23 pm

The MX5 thermostat opens at something like 88C. The engine is designed to run at around 88-95C. Any higher and the ecu will start pulling timing as high temps cause pre-ignition (which is bad).
Water based coolants work perfectly in that temperature range.

Personally I'd consider the clouds of steam when there is a cooling problem (holed hose, blocked rad, stuck thermostat etc.) to be a handy signal as none of us keep an eye on the (next to useless anyway) temperature gauge.
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats

Return to “Maintenance”