What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Heater Hose replacement

Yolo
Epic Poster

Heater Hose replacement

Postby Yolo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:47 pm

Hi Folks I had to replace the heater hoses this weekend after finding a leak on Friday so I thought I would write it up and see if it makes sense to you guys.

First up drain the radiator. This is easy as mazda left nice access in the undertray. All you have to do is remove the SOFT plastic drain plug carefully so as not to damage it and then open the rad cap assuming everything is nice at cool!

1Capture.JPG
1Capture.JPG (65.36 KiB) Viewed 3325 times

Then I moved under the bonnet. First things first slide back the spring clips from the end of the hoses as they go through the bulkhead.

After this I took a Stanley knife with a new blade and gently cut through the old hose along the length of the pipe. Do this slowly and don't cut too deep so as to avoid damaging the pipe.( PLEASE NOTE.... ALWAYSCUT AWAY FROM YOU )

2Capture.JPG
2Capture.JPG (53.75 KiB) Viewed 3325 times

Once you have done this it should split away from the copper pipe easily. I did this for each pipe.

3Capture.JPG
3Capture.JPG (88.62 KiB) Viewed 3325 times

The top of each hose is now free so I looked for the bottom end which is not so easy to get at. To make it easier I removed the earth strap, one 12mm bolt and the air intake two 10mm bolts.

4Capture.JPG
4Capture.JPG (43.31 KiB) Viewed 3325 times

5Capture.JPG
5Capture.JPG (79.48 KiB) Viewed 3325 times

6Capture.JPG
6Capture.JPG (91.16 KiB) Viewed 3325 times

It is now a bit easier to get at the bottom of the hoses but to give more room you could also cut off most of the old hose at this stage and just leave what is attached to the block.

If you are still struggling for room you may have to remove the coil pack which is ok until you try to remove the bottom bolt which is fiddly to get at but doable if you don't have big ham hocks for hands. Thankfully I didn't have to do this.

Once you have the extra bit of room and the spring clips removed do the same thing again with a Stanley blade. I didn't use the knife as there was little room so hold the blade carefully and cut through the hose. I didn't have to be as gentle here as the hose goes over a stronger metal pipe. ( PLEASE NOTE...ALWAYS CUT AWAY FROM YOU )

7Capture.JPG
7Capture.JPG (70.21 KiB) Viewed 3325 times

hose removed.

8Capture.JPG
8Capture.JPG (87.43 KiB) Viewed 3325 times

This is the top pipe below the coil pack and you can see the bottom bolt that holds it in place. I don't fancy trying to get it back in if it does ever come out.

9Capture.JPG
9Capture.JPG (47.17 KiB) Viewed 3325 times

Now everything is removed I gave the ends of the pipes a quick rub over with some wire wool to remove any rubbish and get a good seal then I sprayed the new hoses with some silicone spray and started putting the bottoms on first.

As you will see I used jubilee clips to tighten everything up as they were easier to handle that the spring clips just remember to put them on before you push the hose home!! :doh:

10Capture.JPG
10Capture.JPG (54.23 KiB) Viewed 3325 times

11Capture.JPG
11Capture.JPG (83.48 KiB) Viewed 3325 times

Once the hoses are tightened its time to put the earth strap back on ( I gave it a quick rub with wire wool too) and the air intake.

Now it's time to fill her back up with antifreeze and don't forget to put the bung back first! :doh: :doh:

Once everything was filled up I started her up and let her run up to temp no drips from what I could see so all good :pray:

I'll know when I take her to work tomorrow :-D

I hope some of you find this helpful and please feel free to let me know if I left anything out.
Mk 1 Eunos 1.6 Silver
Meister Suspension - Mk2.5 leather seats - IL Motorsport Bushes - 1.8 brake upgrade
Getting there slowly
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4699
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Re: Heater Hose replacement

Postby Mazda Mender » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:18 pm

:bow-yellow: well done that man and thank you for the How to :bow-yellow:
Just a foot note, this is a 1.6 Mk 1, on the 1.8 version you may find that the CAS O'ring has finished it's life and leaked oil all over the top hose bringing on a burst, if this is the case then a new CAS O'ring seal will need to be fitted and more than likely the rocker cover seal too because that will be just as hard and dead, while the CAS and rocker (coil pack) are removed you should find it even easier to replace the pipes.
The bottom 12mm bolt that holds the coil pack does not need to be put back on rebuild.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/

Return to “Heating and cooling”