What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Fuel octne level test on a MK 1 standard 1993 1.8

General chat on all things Mx/Roadster
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Fuel octne level test on a MK 1 standard 1993 1.8

Postby Mazda Mender » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:52 pm

There was a debate on FB mazdamenders M-5 tech help on the Premium high octane fuels and if you could feel a difference, mainly in a standard set up roadster ....wow it was like a long running post on the clubs board with a lot of prove him wrong from myself using it and feeling a difference to the stock Mk 1 NA 1.8... i personally imported myself some 16 yrs ago and used up and down motorways with a heavy foot set up correct in every way she overly should be as i am sure many can vouch for and asked a simple question...." As anyone else used the Vpower petrol and felt a difference to their Roadster?" I got some positive but loads of negatives,, first we need to but some of this straight.....

One chap said,,,, "You will only feel it if you advance the timing to 14 degree "....Total Rubbish
He also carried on to state...." that advancing the timing to the 14 degree, gives you better top end power as he prefers it at top end not at the bottom"...Rubbish, i have some sad news for you ...advancing the timing "TAKES" it away from "TOP END" and moves it to "BOTTOM " so the roadster will be better on take off and more responsive, so when you take off against a similar powered car it "might" be a bit nipper until it catches up on a dual carriage way or motorway and they wave you bye bye as you top end is now rubbish...so Sorry bud , where ever you read it the other way around is wrong...
Plus advancing the timing was originally to composite for our lower octane level here compared to over there ( although they do have lower octane levels) so advancing the timing makes no sense with premium fuels here as it is already set to take it, and the " it only works better with advancing " is Rubbish

Another chap gave me a run down of figures of AMBIENT air pressures etc for that week to push that was the difference I personally felt.... The air temp made no difference to how the roadster Preformed over those two weeks of using this fuel,,,,I leave for work at around 5.20am every morning and blast the M6 south bound for 40 minutes, so cool air, the return journey is the same only from 4.30pm so hotter air (at the time of testing) the roadster preformed the same in the morning and evening regardless of air temp, my driving style never changes and is heavy footed and is only dependent on traffic.

Another also stated that is was a placebo effect.....far from it, the engine felt like a door had been opened,...it was sharper and smoother to use, and i should know how this roadster feels and behaves after owning and using her for the last 16 years from importing her myself with 22,000 miles on her when landed and never advanced the timing or boosted her and well looked after and used well.

Another said it was because " she is not boosted so it will make no difference to a standard stock engine"...Rubbish, I know what I felt regardless of not having a over stretched engine for street points, I am the biggest skeptic you will meet, and WILL test this stuff when i am "TOLD" it is the best you will ever try no matter what it is.

The only explanation i personally have with the freeness of the engine with the higher premium fuel is....1)... the extra cleaning agents in it were helping? 2) the higher octane level of 99 Ron is igniting better ? 3 ) the supermarket stuff she as been running on is rubbish which is 95 Ron and I guess with no cleaning agent.
Now I threw in some shell Vpower but from this thread on FB I was told of the Tescos stuff which is cheaper than the shell fuel and the same called momentum will be in the next fill up as I went back to the standard fuel and you do need to push her again, now what people must understand that I am a very straight and honest person, "IF " this would of been cr*p I would of made a point of saying so too ...loudly, I have nothing to prove to anyone, I am not on commission from any of the premium fuel manufactures so I am not getting a large amount of cash to a secret off shore account under a dodgy name( but am open to the idea) .

Mon-6th-August-2018....
Well 3 weeks on and 3 full tanks of Tescos momentum, and i personally felt a little difference to the normal fuel i have been using in pick up, the only thing i have notice is even with a heavy foot and the same journey and style of personal driving morning and evening with my travel to work and back she does not use as much fuel and getting better miles to the gallon , so the next couple of tanks from this weekend coming will be the Vpower again to see if there is a difference????

6-9-2018
V power as been in a couple of weeks, and I can say hand on heart....there is a difference , so looking for an explanation on this because she did free up...so this is what we got to....because of the high level of cleaning agents in the fuel it did clean it all out , injectors etc etc, but then went back to how she felt before, so we think? that the crap the cleaning agents removed had gone straight into the cat and started to suffer-gate it ?, so we removed the cat for a by pass pipe/straight pipe, and the pick up /smoothness and response is back better than before, so the next thing is to fit a fresh cat and see if if is still as responsive ......
And there is a massive difference in how she behaves with the different fuels

23-10-18
I have carried on the personal experiment at my cost but now giving the keys to the good lady to fill her up with what ever to see if i can feel the difference....
Yes i have been able to, even with the Cat removed giving no restrictions, a new OE cat has been fitted to test the theory on a blocked cat????
It is the same, so with the 20 odd year old cat, a de-cat straight through and a new OE cat there was a very marked difference between the different fuels used...although it did/does feel far better de-catted with less restrictions , supermarkets stuff low in the list, and V-power at the top with momentum close second(very close), there is also a marked improvement with the fuels with the cats fitted although far better de-catted, the roadster took the same journey morning and evenings at the same speeds regardless off temp.

This as been a personal indi test, to prove something to myself and share with others if interested....
High octane fuel did make a marked difference and and even more so de-catted.

So for me personally....I will be now be leaving her de-catted, running Tescos momentum and at the end of every month giving her a drink of V Power, now i understand people do have different views on this , and not everyone will feel the difference with their personal way of driving and how their cars are set up, and this was set out to prove something to myself and thought i would share it..

The Eunos Roadster I used for this is a Mk 1 NA V.S II 1.8 which is set up correct with fast road alignment,apexi air kit, meister CRD's, rain sport tyres on 15" rims , now de-catted with a twin zorst outlet, very will serviced in every way and a Automatic.
I will be doing the same thing with a Manual MK 1 NA and a MK 2 NB, but personally my mind is made up on this but will be interested to see "IF" there is a difference with the others.

M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
blackyb

Re: Fuel octne and the myth with imports

Postby blackyb » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:56 pm

I have tried Vpower unleaded in my roadster (1991 1.6) and didnt notice anything beneficial in performance but did get a slight increase in mpg but not enough to warrant its continued use. I didnt play around with the timing as I was told that as Mm said you either get bottom end or top end improvements, not both. I want an overall constant output.

I just use Shell's standard unleaded.( I try to avoid all supermarket fuels if I can) other suppliers are available but Shells our nearest main garage.

On a different topic, I also tried Vpower petrol in my 1998 Honda Blackbird and she just didnt like it and ran rough.

I do however use Vpower diesel fuel in our 2016 Passat GT and the wifes 2006 Fiesta, we are getting good fuel returns and a cleaner smoke free burn.

Thats my ten penneth for what its worth.

:bow-yellow:
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Re: Fuel octne level test on a MK 1 standard 1993 1.8

Postby Mazda Mender » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:37 am

We have been trying this in a MK 1 1993 import 1.6 and it's the same again.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/

Return to “Mx/Roadster Chat and Banter”