What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

98-00 1.8 vics manifold +turbo

General chat on all things Mx/Roadster
al_p

98-00 1.8 vics manifold +turbo

Postby al_p » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:50 am

ok i have heard this vics manifold is there to give more top end power by opening a resonance chamber at around 5200rpm, i have heard it also shortened the air passege into the engine but this is not true from what i can see on the manifold .

this vics system works on vacuum to remain closed at idle and low rpm then as the throttle is 'WOT' the lack of vacuum and higher rpm will cause the vics to open.

i am installing a turbo to the car which is going to eliminate the vics from working due to no vacuum in the manifold i have 4 options but don't really know which one to go for ....

1. install an actuator electronicly controlled so the vics opens at 5200?
2. do 1. + gut the top of the manifold so the vics is used as a shorter distance for the air to flow?
3. close the vics and never use again ?
4. totally gut the manifold so there is no vics at all? (never seen this done so a bit weary of it )

vics standard

vics top of manifold gutted (number 2 on what to do)
I remember the days when ‘Blue Ray’ was an elderly gentleman who drowned in our local swimming pool.
al_p

Re: 98-00 1.8 vics manifold +turbo

Postby al_p » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:41 am

only took me near 20 days but i found what vics does and found it hinders cars with forced induction , hencwe why mazda remove it for turbo cars
What is VICS?
VICS is "Variable Inertia Charging System" and is also refered to as "Variable Intake
Control System". In conventional intake manifolds, they are designed to have an air flow
compromise between low end and top end power. Because of this compromise, power
delivery from the engine is not optimum nor ideal. What some manufacturers (such as
Nissan and Mazda for example) have done is designed the intake manifold to have an
isolated runner system (there are many types of intake manifolds) to offer the best flow
characteristics. They didn't stop there. To squeeze as much power out of the engine, yet
allowing the vehicle to be streetable and mass producable, they added a secondary set
of intake runners into the manifold. With this dual runner system, there is the long runner
system for low to mid level RPM operation, and the short runner system for high RPMs.
On Mazda's dual runner intake systems (hereafter refered to as "VICS"), they designed
the long runners to be narrow and oval in shape to help promote air velocity at the lower
RPM ranges. As for the short runners, they are much larger and circular in shape to allow
for maximum flow capability at high RPM. There are butterfly shutter valves fitted over
the short runner and they are normally closed off. When engine speed is reached to a
predetermined rate by the ECU, a solenoid valve is opened and vacuum opens the
butterflies to allow for additional air flow into the engine. Hence the reason why the
system is "variable". It allows for optimum drivabilty and performance at most RPM
ranges. Note when this system is used with high boost forced induction systems, they
hinder performance rather than aid it because of the runner sizes. For high boost
applications, it is recommended that a large single (stage) isolated runner intake manifold
be used.

What is VTCS?
VTCS is "Variable Tumble Control System" or commonly refered to as swirl control
valves. This system only exists on the 3rd generation ULEV certified cars and is used
only on engine cold starts (under the following criteria: coolant temperature is less than
65°C/149°F). When active, the butterflies located at the end of the intake runners are
closed leaving a small notch aproximately 1/4 the size of the runners to allow for
turbulent air flow to reach the head and combustion chamber. The swirl caused by the
turbulent air aids the combustion process when the engine is still in its cold state "rich
fuel mixture" condition, therefore reducing cold start emissions. Hydrocarbon emissions
are significantly reduced due to this system. This system is also the cause of the infamous
cold start engine rattle that seem to happen between 2500-2800rpm on some 2.0l
engines. There is no known legal fix to this issue yet and Mazda is aware of the problem.
What is happening on the few 2.0l engines is normal and there is no need to worry. The
inclusion of this system also causes some performance restriction to the engine even when
the system is inactive

i would also like to mention i found this on mazdas247.com just thought i would give some credit where its due :)
I remember the days when ‘Blue Ray’ was an elderly gentleman who drowned in our local swimming pool.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Re: 98-00 1.8 vics manifold +turbo

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:05 am

going to make it a sticky Al :handgestures-thumbup: :coffee:
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/

Return to “Mx/Roadster Chat and Banter”