What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Well thats buggered that!

Get it out of your system. Keep it clean'ish. It can be just about anything that has ragged you up, but please not about the OC. Leave their politics there.
Draig
Regular

Well thats buggered that!

Postby Draig » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:56 pm

Been a bit light on here again as the MX has been in the shop for some extensive work (sills, rear arches, boot around battery box etc etc) and was hoping to do a full reveal and write up. Guy I had doing it was keeping me informed of progress with pictures (and hitches such as the mahoosive hole in the boot around the battery space)

Image.

All was looking good and the work was quality,

until,

one of the bodges this car is famous for came back to bite my welder firmly in the ar*e. :angry-fire:

Some ape had done a slap job plate weld and filled the inner seal with god knows what (old rag or some crap, wasn't sound damping stuff as was different feel) so when my guy comes along to do the job properly, it goes up and trashes the passenger side interior. Looking like it's an insurance job or even a right off :sad: (needs new carpets, seatbelt, seatbelt tower, seat, wiring, plus all the original work it was in for plus any other crap bodges the apes who "serviced" this car before have hidden away). Welder is only slightly less gutted than me, he really liked the car and was enjoying the work.

Looking at parts now and speaking to insurance but its not looking good.

(Coming soon, sale of MX5 parts only slightly singed and a bucketful of nearly new :crying-green: )
blackyb

Re: Well thats buggered that!

Postby blackyb » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:36 pm

Gut wrenching I bet.
Thats always a problem with cars with an unknown history and the lack of quality materials some bodgers bodge with.
Hope you work something out that either saves the car or goes a long way to replacing her.
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
DavesBRG5

Postby DavesBRG5 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:26 pm

:angry-screaming: Holy crap, gutted for you mate.

If the wiring isn`t too far gone then i`d imagine the interior bits could be picked up very cheaply & probably some people would donate them for free if they have them hanging around.

Hope you get it sorted!
DAVE

1992 1.6 BRG V-Spec - 2003 MK2.5 Sport - 1992 ROADSTER 1.6.
Draig
Regular

Postby Draig » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:37 pm

After a closer look at the damage and the work needed doing to make the car safe (basically both sills, the boot and most of the rear is rust), I'm regretfully writing her off. The money, time and effort its going to need to fix the damage, mend the rust and track down whatever other bodges have happened to her in the past make it too much. :cry:

Done a deal with the welder who is genuinely apologetic so not out of pocket and will be putting up some parts for sale (rear driver wing, door seals and other odds) but gutted doesn't cover it.

RIP Lilith

Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:17 am

Interior items can be found cheap enough at the minute and a loom bits from a scrapper will be easy to re add, i'll add the loom on the side, shame to stop after getting so far into it, it is just a set back and easy solved.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Draig
Regular

Postby Draig » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:10 pm

Cheers for the offer M-m but the problem is a bit more than that, more like the straw that broke the camels back.

When checking over the after the accident I took a mechanic friend with me for a proper assessment and his review was a bit sobering.

I was originally quoted around £1200 for the work both sides (archs, sills and bit of tidying), not too bad. This price grew once my guys started cutting as the rear drivers panel was either rust or filler (so needed replacing as there was basically nothing left to weld to), again I was expecting some bad news so could roll with it, once panel was off it became apparent the battery area was *really* bad and so bill was going up again.

After the accident my mate had a VERY thorough poke around, in addition to the work already found, to make roadworthy both sills would need totally replacing front to back along with most of the boot and areas around the suspension mounts plus a list of other issues he found that needed looking at (windscreen surround and scuttle and more), this is without finding more horrors. Mates assessment was I was looking at £3k minimum to get back on the road if no further problems were found (not going to happen!) and that was before I started fixing the interior. On the outside I didn't look too bad but once you started poking there was more rust/filler than metal. :sad:
mattpc
New

Postby mattpc » Sun May 13, 2018 8:13 pm

NOOO! I feel so bad for you. Bodywork is the thing I'm most worried about permanantly taking my car off the road. Even an engine can be changed fairly easily but reshelling a car for the sake of calling it the same car, I'm not sure even I could do that to keep my baby alive. Although you wouldn't know it, the bodywork budget runs in to thousends on my mk1 because it's been crashed in to by ideots 3 times now!
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Sun May 13, 2018 9:34 pm

Hi mate, agree with others on here a real share for you, but I guess better is know when to call it a day rather than throwing more money at it.

I've just repaired a sill and I noticed that the point where yours caught alight, on mine had loads of factory body seam sealer. I had removed the carpet, seats and interior plastic before starting. Even so the seam sealer was quick to burn.
1996 Mk1 Classic Red 1.6 sorted
1995 Mk 1 White 1.6 in need of TLC
2015 Mk1 1.8 Exocet Mk1 on steroids

Return to “RANT! Not for the faint hearted!!!”