What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Mk1 Protecting them rear quarters

flea
Moderator Wannabe

Mk1 Protecting them rear quarters

Postby flea » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:52 pm

After recently cutting out the tin worm from the rear quarters & welding in some new metal i had time to have a good look of how these cars were put together in this area.
I noticed that there is no way you can treat the part of the inner rear quarter that has this rusting problem so i got to thinking how we can cure this or at least help to protect it more.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (34.85 KiB) Viewed 3031 times

First off i noticed that by removing the plug under the wheel arch & getting the wax oil probe in there does NOT get to the problem area no matter how hard you try. I had a go while it was in bits. Its not even on the right side of the inner frame where the problem lies.

So here goes.

I have put a white line inside the arch so you can see where the metal plate goes & the existing hole. As you can see its on the wrong side of the plate. The rust is a problem on the left of the line & the damn hole is on the right.

IMG_5224.JPG
IMG_5224.JPG (44.33 KiB) Viewed 3031 times

So you'll need one of these, Yes a simple rubber bung :handgestures-thumbup:

IMG_5225.JPG
IMG_5225.JPG (45.01 KiB) Viewed 3031 times

Then take a drill & drill out a hole (about half way between the white line & the outer sill/wing aslo about the same distance up from the bottom of the sill) that your rubber bung fits.

IMG_5227.JPG
IMG_5227.JPG (51.64 KiB) Viewed 3031 times

Make sure you remove any burs of metal from your hole. If you notice through the hole you can see the bit thats never reached :whistle: Now don't forget to apply a few coats of primer where you have drilled the hole. I done this once it was finished but i made sure there was no wax oil on the bare metal so the paint adhered properly.

IMG_5228.JPG
IMG_5228.JPG (37.25 KiB) Viewed 3031 times

Now take your wax oil probe. It will go all the way to where the front wing meets the sill just to the front of your door. Make sure that you twist the probe just before you remove it from the hole so it gets to the section that you have drilled your hole in :handgestures-thumbup:

IMG_5231.JPG
IMG_5231.JPG (46.83 KiB) Viewed 3031 times

Then all you need to do is fit the rubber bung.

IMG_5234.JPG
IMG_5234.JPG (39.45 KiB) Viewed 3031 times

Job done :wink:

Here's a drawing i done to explain the construction of the rear wing & sill quarter. The red line shows where the inner section meets the wheel arch.

drawing rear wing structure.JPG
drawing rear wing structure.JPG (91.89 KiB) Viewed 3003 times
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8

Return to “Body panels and accessories”