What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

How to replace wishbone bushes, Mx-5,Eunos,Miata,Mk 1,Mk 2

flea
Moderator Wannabe

How to replace wishbone bushes, Mx-5,Eunos,Miata,Mk 1,Mk 2

Postby flea » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:18 pm

I bought these for a bargain.
IMG_4689.JPG
IMG_4689.JPG (36.16 KiB) Viewed 7671 times

Anyhow i looked around for ways of removing them. They all seamed a bit clumsy trying to make a bit of tube or socket stay on the lip of the wishbone & pull through the bit of tube. Well i got to thinking again & came up with this idea & tried it. I thought i would share it with you all.

All you need is:
One full length of M10 threaded bar, this one length will do all the wishbones.
two large washers with 11ml hole in the middle.
two M10 nuts
Two thin bits of tube or two old sockets. (amendment: after doing others i found it better to use larger tube or sockets than shown in the pictures).
two size 17 spanners.
1.JPG
1.JPG (50.84 KiB) Viewed 7671 times

Thread the bar through one end of the wishbone & put a tube/socket on first followed by one washer & then one nut then the next nut then the last washer followed by the last tube/socket. Turn the nuts down the threaded bar until its passed through the other side of the wishbone.
Then just hold one nut still with one spanner & with the other spanner just turn the other nut so they are going apart from each other.
2.JPG
2.JPG (36.02 KiB) Viewed 7671 times

As you do this you can see that the one that is weakest will start to push through. You may have to wiggle the end of the bar to aid the bush from the aperture. Just keep going & what ever one is weakest will come out first.
3.JPG
3.JPG (39.04 KiB) Viewed 7671 times

Once this has come away just keep going & the washer on the side where the bush has come away will settle on the wishbone apature that side & will start to push the other side out like so.
Job done :handgestures-thumbup:
4.JPG
4.JPG (42.03 KiB) Viewed 7671 times
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
Pincherrn
Serial Poster

Re: How to replace wishbone bushes, Mx-5,Eunos,Miata,Mk 1,Mk

Postby Pincherrn » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:21 am

Just an update on my experience on bushes :eek: . I found that when getting the old ones out using the threaded bar method a little bit of heat to the rubber bush makes it very easy. Doesn't have to be melting but just warm. It softens the rubber and they do sort of come out on their own. I used a heat gun and as soon as I smelled warm rubber I stopped.
I used cheap poly bushes bought off ebay, my advice don't buy really cheap ones. I used the threaded bar to put them in and it worked ok, put them in the freezer overnight and then smother them in washing up liquid. Mine were one piece bushes. Putting the metal insert in was another story. This was not particularly easy. I used red rubber grease on these. The poly part of the bush seemed softer than I expected and they deform when pushing the metal tube in. I think because mine were cheap this didn't help and the tube was not flush with the poly part.
There is a guy ("The freak" or "Freaky Roadsters") on the MEV forum (and Nutz) who gets good quality poly bushes cheap. I definitely think it is worth it.

Colin
MEV Exocet.
1995 1.8 Mk1 White Roadster. S Special Type I.
Exocet build thread - http://www.mazdamenders.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1138
http://www.jansholistics.co.uk/
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:50 pm

After Flea's pic's and others tip's I have fitted some Polly bushes and taken photo's for others benefit and hopefully they will help others too.

Firstly the reason I am changing the bushes as you can see they are shot and have slipped to one side.

Here I am cutting the lip from the rubber bush with a stanley knife.

Drilling half a dozen times down the side to release a bit of pressure.

This is the 10mm bar through the middle, some sockets just smaller than the wishbone hole. Ive done it by pulling the bushes inwards, this way the 10mm bar won't bend. Turn the nuts and the bushes will pull inwards. They came out easy with no heat :-D .

Here you can see they are out and also notice the drill holes through the rubber.

This is a new insert notice on the RIGHT I've curved and smoothed the end edge. The insert easily slides in with this done (good tip).

Push in the polly bush first and the push the insert in after. (easy to do)

Fitted in the Arm . Pretty eh :handgestures-thumbup:
Mk1 1.6 Turbo. Gaz shocks. Tr Lane roll bar.
Garage Owner, Lincolshire
Helper to the Scunny track day crew and North Linc's Track Day Club.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:00 pm

Same thing but pics of fitting a bush into the top of the hub.

Sockets again but notice the big one alows the old bush to pull inside.

this shows the smaller socket forcing the bush out and into the larger socket.

A good pic of the drill holes along the bush. Once again it pulled out easy and no heat (lucky me).

The one piece bush getting pulled in.

Pulling the metal inset into the bush.

Fitted :-D :-D
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:11 pm

This bent little piggy wasn't so easy. Took as long as the bushes to get out.
New one from Autolink on the way.

www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:53 pm

Yolo wrote:I love the way u guys just have a go and figure it out. I hope I get there someday.... Two questions how do u get the wishbones off in the first place and what is that in the pic above? :bow-yellow:

That is the long bolt that holds your rear lower wishbone to your wheel hub. It is probably the most awkward to remove if its stuck. All your wishbones on the rear are nut and bolted in place, you also have ball joints on the fronts so your steering can pivot. Simples... :-D

MM's tip about the rust in the middle is right. Once I got the bolt to turn I filed the rust off and turned a bit more and filled again until it was clean. Luckily I have a blue nose spanner to help things along . :handgestures-thumbup:

Bolt before cleaning the middle

Bolt ready to remove.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:39 pm

This video is posted on nutz forum but might be of interest. If only i'd known before buying my cheap set. duh. It goes into the design of polly bushes. Bit of an advert really but interesting.
I've spent another 8 hours today getting mine to move fairly freely.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z6OEohnPKw[/youtube]
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk

Return to “suspension”